CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smith & Wesson Shotgun with 40" barrel
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

My nephew is about to purchase one of these used,(don't
think they make them anymore)

Wondering if anyone has any info on this shotgun or a web page with a review. Tried a google search, couldn't find it.

I think he said it was priced around $260.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

Post subject: Re: Smith & Wesson Shotgun with 40" barrel
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

recheck barrel length and model number--a 40 inch barrel :!:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:02 pm 
Field Grade

The only other info I have is that the total gun length is 65".

It was made for one year only, And is a pump 12gauge with a
fixed full choke.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would pass on the deal--S+W 's were imported by Howa then Mossberg continued importation using leftover parts and making a few of their own---Value at 100% RARELY exceeds 200 bucks.I had a 916 S-W what would shoot 5-10 shells before breaking :evil:The Remington 870 would be a MUCH better value :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

The only 40 inch barrel I can recall was a Marlin. They called
it a goose gun, I think. I'm not sure of the model. It think it
was an M120 pump, then again maybe a bolt, then again maybe
they offered a 40 inch in both.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I once shot a 40" or close to it goose gun...can't remember who made it (this was in college with is quite some time ago). It was a bolt action and swung like an anti-aircraft gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:00 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

You guys that are talking about bolt action Marlins with long barrels are probably thinking of the 36" barreled 12ga M55 Goose Gun or the 10ga M5510 Super Goose Gun.

The Savage M28 was offered in 32"(1928-31). It was a pump and I have seen a 36" version of the gun but there is no mention of it in any Savage literature that I know of. I susspect that the gun that I saw was a prototype or a custom barreled gun.

The Squires Bingham Co. of Makati,Rizal,Philippines made the M30 12ga pump with a 34"barrel (1970's).

Joe Cool, Marlin never sold a 40" barreled shotgun. You,too are propably remembering the Marlins mentioned above. They seem like the barrels were four feet long! :lol:

Frank123, When your nephew gets the gun,please,post a photo. I am interested in these long barreled American guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Frank123 wrote:
The only other info I have is that the total gun length is 65".

It was made for one year only, And is a pump 12gauge with a
fixed full choke.

I think there is something wrong with these numbers.

A 30" 870 has an overall length of just about 50", so why would a gun with a barrel 10" longer be 15" longer overall.

Recheck your dimentions and get back to us. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:04 am 
Field Grade

I think My nephew is going to buy it no matter what I tell him.
He said it would be good for "sky blasting".

when he buys it I will take measurments and post pics.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:04 am 
Presentation Grade

I've got a Mossberg Model 1000. Bought it new. Best shotgun I ever owned. Made by Howa. Not one problem in 20 years of heavy service. They sell around here when you can find them for about $250-300.00. I wouldn't hesistate to recommend them to anyone. Not sure how the pumps are but Howa makes a fine line of guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:20 am 
Crown Grade

It's possible the gun has the 40" barrel and someone has swapped out the original and put on a barrel to be used for turkey and ham shoots. I have see a setup with a barrel welded onto the end of another barrel. Not for me, but it worked for somone!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:46 am 
Crown Grade

My cousin brought a Winchester 97 by my house one time, and it had a 48 inch barrel on it and a scope mount welded to the top of the receiver. He had it built for turkey shoots. He got mad and left when I told him it looked like someone ruined a good model 97..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:08 am 
Limited Edition

I agree, Being a turkeyshooter(card shoot) I have seen alot of altered barrels. I don't know of any smith and wesson shotgun having a 40" barrel. Stevens made some 36 inch single shot barrels and made some for sears. Mossberg did make some 38 inch barrels for the mossberg 500's in the mid to late 80's , My understanding is that mossberg had some connection with smith and wesson ( i can't remember the connection ) but I don't think they made any 36-40 inch barrels for them. Remington did make some 34 inch barrels that were stamped with either trap or duck/goose . Marlin made some 36 inch barrels but they were on the marlin 55 goose guns ( they were all bolt action. And marlin did make a 40 inch barrel for the marlin 120 magnum slide-action repeater made from 1971--1985 , those came with a 3 inch chamber. As far as I am concerned if it is a smith and wesson with a 40 inch barrel--It was a card shoot barrel made for someone. You can usually tell -- Look in the chamber most will have NO forcing cone. it might have a super tight chamber and be able to accept 2 3/4 shells only--although it will NOT be marked as such. The barrel will probably still say what it was built for such as mod. or full , what ever it was origanally built for , alot of builders leave the oringanal stamping , a way of cheating the shoots that don't know what they are looking for - Might even be noted as saying modified choke. But if it has been worked on then it is far from modified choke. More than likely choked full----super super full . May have been fully sleeved. Look about 2-3 inches from the chamber end of the barrel and see if the barrel seems to have been cut into and repieced. look at the muzzle end --are there some grooves cut in to the barrel inside the the bore? you might have to use some thing like a pencil or long coat hanger or something to feel for the grooves inside the barrel. the barrel might be a stock size diameter , but more than likely is boasting a 7/8 diameter or even more than likely a 1 inch diameter. It would be abvious next to a stock barrel right beside it. . If it is a turkey shoot gun --- And you don't want to buy it , then let me know . I would be interested in buying it. Unless you turkey shoot with the big boys then this barrel is not something you would want for a regular hunting barrel or trap or anything else. Also make sure what you are shells you are shooting if it is a turkeyshoot barrel, These barrels are set up most of the time depending on distance and shell type shot. Wheter it be 7 1/2 , 8 shot, 9 shot 2-2-10. they are all built defferent. Yon can't always just but any shell in and shoot. If it was built lets say for winn AA 9 shells then you will have a heck of a time getting esate or any federal shells to chambe--, because they are different sizes . especially around the brass. Chambers are usually built to match what shell you are going to shoot . A proper built chamber will have cutters to cut the shell some to release some of the gas upon ignition . that will help shoot the shot slower, making a tighter pattern They have different bores inside and choke size is matched usually 80---95 percent of the barrel. Some barrel are even built with 6.38 chokes or even as tight as 6.30 , most are arounf a 6.73 If you need more assistance on what to look for in this being a card shoot barrel , please let me know. It is possible that this is a stock barrel, But more than likely I would say not.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:41 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Dustcha, Where did you find the info on a 40" Marlin M120. I just went over the Marlin catalogs from 1971-85 and could only find a 38 inch offering. The Marlin Jobber's List dated March 1982 says that the 38 inch option was to be sold out and the remaining guns with 38 inch barrels were the last available.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:58 am 
Limited Edition

Reference books are so hard to come by with the proper information. A man would have to have almost evey reference book from every year, and then would still not have all of the proper info. The marlin 120 info is listed in the 26th edition of the Gun Traders Guide. page 496. A buddy of mine actually used to own one of these guns and sold it, So I know that it did exist. :lol: You can buy this book at walmart . they probably sell edition 27 or 28 now. How ever it does not list the 38 inch mossberg barrel. For that you have to look in the 1987 shooters bible . That is what I am talking about . The companys leave out so much info. these books also leave out that remington made the 34 " duck/goose barrels for both the 870 and the 1100. These barrels are stamped Duck'Goose and are not the same barrel as the one's marked Trap(although both barrel seem to be pretty much alike . these barrels came in three different bore and choke sizes. all the chokes were full . but were three different sizes of full . and the bores were from about 7.26, 7.3? , and 7.4? . If my memory recalls those sizes right. but yet it is hard to find any reference books stating such .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:31 pm 

Ihave seen a few Marlin 120s / Glenfield 780s with 40" barrels, but they are rare.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:36 pm 
Limited Edition

:lol: yep, but I have never seen a Smith and wesson with a 40 inch barrel. I say it is a turkey shoot barrel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:49 pm 
Limited Edition

Frank,Did your nephew buy this gun or not? I might be interested if he did not want it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:08 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Dustcha. Please,reread my last post!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Hello A5 guy,
I answered you right below that post, you must have missed it . :lol: You can read it now if you would like--anyways the info is in the Gun traders guide. Page number and other info is in my post that I answered you in--that is the last post made on page 1 of this thread. :lol: