CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Looking for used O/U, cheap. Any suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Silver Reserve is a good gun if you can find one without the dent, and as long as you dont dent it yourself. Most say they have dry fired the gun with the barrels off and when putting on the barrels it was gouged with the lower firing pin.

If your careful it will never happen. I've never found the need to dry fire any of my guns with the barrel off. Clean it, put the barrels back on, put in snap caps and release the trigger springs. Put in a silicone sock and stick it barrel down in the safe.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:22 am 
Diamond Grade

Great advice!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bosoxfanjkm wrote:
i am in a scholastic clay target program and get ammo for free. i am trying to get away from club owned 1100s

Well since you don't have to worry about buying ammo (FOR NOW) This is the time to maybe use the money saved and get an entry level gun worthy of the name. There is such a thing as too cheap, buy in haste, regret at leisure, all those classic homilies apply.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bosoxfan:

I am a Lanber 2087 owner also have a Lanber semi. love em both never regretted buying either one. These are top selling guns in the UK!!

Couple years ago bought a Gazelle $350 it's problem was double triggers beat my hand to death.. I thought it wasn't a bad gun for the money, fairly decent fit and finish, quite frankly I'd still have it save the double triggers. Fellow I sold it to gave it to his son and they're happy with it. Probably blew 5K of shells thru it so far no problems.

Anyway, I went to the local Gander Mntn the other day and lo they had a number of inexpensive O/Us all under $500 and not bad guns, in looks or Quality.

The Spartan seems like it's decent, a litlle cleanup on the stock and some tung oil. The Kahn was nice, again, clean er up with some tung oil..The Stoeger, Big and heavy, my neighbor shoots one, never a problem, consistantly in the 21-24 range, now these guns are all below $450 new. Whats the big difference with these guns and the Berettas and Brownings?? That attention to detail that these folks put into the fit and finish! Labor, especially craftsman labor is expensive!! and some neat design work too! Do they shoot better? mebbe!! But the fit of these guns thats the key!!!

My issue with the Gazelle is are any more coming to the States?? Right after I bought mine never saw another offered for sale again, Hell, I even swapped E mails with the owner of Gazelle. Seemed like a decent sort.

Kahn seems to be around for the long haul the Spartan for sure,(Remington) Stoegers a name thats been around. The Yildiz?????? looks like a halfway decent gun too, BUT!! I know they're sold in Texas but where else and who does the warranty work..

I've been to Batchelders it's a small quality Gun builder/Gunsmith shop. Top Quality work, Send them a gun it'll be fixed. I've commented about them on other posts.

So there are O/Us out there that'll shoot well and you'll get many years of service from one and all.

About the only major advice I'd give is get a gun with screw in chokes!!!

Well there's some thoughts of a old retired guy that discovered Trap and other shotgun sports a couple of years ago. We live on a fixed income so I buy what I can afford and get some pleasure out of shooting..

Shoot well and often..

Regards

Ray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Excellent Advice--

Quote:
Well since you don't have to worry about buying ammo (FOR NOW) This is the time to maybe use the money saved and get an entry level gun worthy of the name. There is such a thing as too cheap, buy in haste, regret at leisure, all those classic homilies apply.

There's a long list of guns on this thread that I'd not take over any well maintained 1100 Remington or 39x from Beretta.

Besides, if you must have an O/U then look for a solid, used Beretta or Browning, Winchester and you'd have more of a duty cycle in one of these than most of the others in the thread.

Sure, I have my off brand, low cost O/U and it is fun to shoot informally but I'd never seriously consider it a competition gun.

One of the most wickedly effective sporting clays shooters I've ever seen was shooting an old Superposed with fixed I/C and I/Mod--that he'd bought in college, had fitted and never looked back.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:56 pm 
Field Grade

Maybe i oughta just shoot the 1100s for now and wait till i can afford a beretta silver pigeon. i shot one of those and it was pretty sweet. maybe add ported barrels, a briley extended choke thing there and a kick-eez recoil pad and id have a gun that would last awhile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Don't let the high $$ guys frighten you. If you buy one of the Khan, mossberg, stoeger, baikals for $400 or less. The worst that will happen is you sell it later for $300 +/- no big deal if you got your enjoyment out of it. No serious financial loss either. I see alot of $700 Citoris on the used market. Given they are over $2000 new, thats a serious loss right there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Fish Springs wrote:
One of the most wickedly effective sporting clays shooters I've ever seen was shooting an old Superposed with fixed I/C and I/Mod--that he'd bought in college, had fitted and never looked back.

That's a great idea FS. Those old Superposed actions are rock solid and will go for a LONG long time. I am thinking of doing the same thing with a 20ga Superposed that has a monte carlo add on stock at my dealer, if I can talk him down on the price.

If you have that older gun fitted to your specs by a good fitter, then you would have a deadly competition AND hunting gun, should you choose that. Talk about shooting where you point...

As for those $700 Citori's, man point me to them.

Honestly Bosoxfan, if I were in your situation (i.e. needing a good solid competition gun for not much $$), I would get a very good used Beretta 39X or Rem 1100 and add some weights or stock or some good aftermarket stuff and get it customized as close as you can to your specs and save your $ for an o/u. Actually once you start shooting at a club, get to know some of the older shooters and you might just stumble on a great deal on a used o/u from one of them.

Good luck...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:21 pm 
Field Grade

True. ive had a couple good deals, but they were 12ga, and i just like 20 better

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

My advice, is to get a Khan on sale for less than $400 if you want an O/U. You will not get hurt much on the resale if you choose to move up later. Ultimately though you will have to decide what is in your budget and what you can afford.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Quote:

Well, I was in the Spring, TX, Gander Mountain this afternoon and there was a used Citori, 12ga, 26" on the rack for $625. For some unknown reason, the barrels had been poorly refinished. The action seemed tight and the bore ok. Someone more familiar might use as is or have the barrels refinished properly.

I left there and went to Carter Country where they had a 12ga Citori for $739. Unfortunately, I arrived after closing so I didn't ask them to unsecure it for me to take a better look. Looking at it in the rack, I didn't see anything wrong with it.

The day wasn't a total loss. I picked up a Rem 552BDL for $110.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:28 am 
Diamond Grade

shotar wrote:
Don't let the high $$ guys frighten you. If you buy one of the Khan, mossberg, stoeger, baikals for $400 or less. The worst that will happen is you sell it later for $300 +/- no big deal if you got your enjoyment out of it. No serious financial loss either. I see alot of $700 Citoris on the used market. Given they are over $2000 new, thats a serious loss right there.

That's the trouble with Browning O/U shotguns, they have no resale value.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Mike1951 wrote:
Quote:

Well, I was in the Spring, TX, Gander Mountain this afternoon and there was a used Citori, 12ga, 26" on the rack for $625. For some unknown reason, the barrels had been poorly refinished. The action seemed tight and the bore ok. Someone more familiar might use as is or have the barrels refinished properly.

I left there and went to Carter Country where they had a 12ga Citori for $739. Unfortunately, I arrived after closing so I didn't ask them to unsecure it for me to take a better look. Looking at it in the rack, I didn't see anything wrong with it.

The day wasn't a total loss. I picked up a Rem 552BDL for $110.

Mike

Are you suggesting that one or both both of those Citoris fit Shotar's "paid over $2000, sell for $799" criteria?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:55 am 
Diamond Grade

I found a used Citori for $700 once. It looked like it had been dragged behind a car. Never saw another one for less than $900 used.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:36 am 
Presentation Grade

j beede wrote:
shotar wrote:

That's the trouble with Browning O/U shotguns, they have no resale value.

Exactly my point. The $400 Khan will be worth about $300 two years from now. The SPartan will be worth about the same or maybe a little more. The $299 Stoeger will be worth $225 or so. Not much value will be lost in real $$. The B gun however will lose half or more of its value and still be an expensive used gun. The upside is that it won't lose much more than that when the second owner goes to sell it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:48 pm 
Field Grade

Ive looked at used beretta silver pigeons and they ran a grand. they were 2 years old! maybe its just brownings

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:49 am 
Tournament Grade

williray4 wrote:
The Yildiz?????? looks like a halfway decent gun too, BUT!! I know they're sold in Texas but where else and who does the warranty work..

Actually Academy Sporting Goods has stores all over the south... see the thread on this in the Yildiz forum. Some interesting commentary on how exactly we define the "south". LOL...

Anyway, back to my point, Yildiz is a very solid gunmaker in Turkey and Europe. They seem to represent a middle grade of Turkish guns below the Huglu and Kimber high grades, but give a very good value for the $. Briley does all of their warranty repairs... I trust you have heard of them. :wink:

The only downside to the Y's seem to be their lack of national availability. Trust me, we southerners love 'em.

Cheers,

Brad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next