CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: firing slugs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

When firing slugs through a shotgun that is not specifically designed to be a slug gun what type of choke should be in the barrel, or is that just something you should not do? This is mostly a curiosity question. I live in the west and do not plan on acctually hunting with shotgun slugs because most of the shots I would take at a deer or elk would be 100-200yrds away. I did not think that shotguns could fire that far even if it is firing slugs. Have I been mislead about that?

Post subject: Re: firing slugs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:11 pm 
Field Grade

Yes choke selection is an important decision. When Firing a slug through a shotgun, you can use a Mod. choke and you will be fine, but your best bet is to use Imp. cylinder or open cyl. Another factor you want to make sure is that the barrel on the gun is not a "turkey barrel" meaning make sure it is not fitted for 3 1/2 shotshells. If you try to fire a slug through a barrel like this, the slug could hit the lip inside the barrel at the front of the chamber, and the slug can slip through the top bottom or sides, causing severe injury or death. Your best bet is to make sure your gun shoots 2 3/4 or 3" shells at the most, and remember, you can use a mod. choke, but the imp. cylinder or wide open cyl. is your best bet. If you have a fixed barrel like a full choke like I did, you can either get the screw in choke, or you can do like I did and get it sawed off at the legal limit to be an open choke, or one step better, get a polychoke.

I am NRA and I vote!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello there AlaistairMc--

Welcome to the friendliest shooting forum on the net :) The answer to your questiondepends on a couple of things. First, specifically what gun are you thinking of? If it's a newer shotgun with interchangeable chokes, I'd use IC or cylinder, or better yet, get a slug barrel.

I assume, however, that you mean an older shotgun with a fixed choke. I personally wouldn't fire slugs through a full choke. If you have a fixed modified choke or larger, I'd say you're fine with a standard old rifled slug (a "Foster" slug) that's the proper size for the chamber, which on most older guns will be 2 3/4". The box the slugs come in will say "for smooth bore guns" or something to that effect.

Your question about range is also complicated by what equipment you're using: if it's a recently built shotgun with a fully-rifled slug barrel, a scope, and correctly loaded sabots slugs (do NOT use sabots in your smoothbore) you can kill whitetail deer out to 100 yards and even beyond if you know what you're doing. I am sad to say I've never hunted elk, so I won't comment on that (one of these days though . . . ).

With an older shotgun and the older slower rifled slugs, you're really looking at about 50 yards max. At least that's my personal limit, and I really think twice beyond 40 yards--it has to be an excellent shot, i.e. broadside or quartering towards me, standing still, etc. I can do better on the range, of course, but I like to play on the safe side in a hunting situation. Also, frankly, I'm just a fair shot--just know your limitations.

I hope you'll stick around and enjoy the conversation here.

Best,

Jeff23

Last edited by Jeff23 on Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:46 pm 
Utility Grade

jasonkdailey wrote:
Another factor you want to make sure is that the barrel on the gun is not a "turkey barrel" meaning make sure it is not fitted for 3 1/2 shotshells. If you try to fire a slug through a barrel like this, the slug could hit the lip inside the barrel at the front of the chamber, and the slug can slip through the top bottom or sides, causing severe injury or death. Your best bet is to make sure your gun shoots 2 3/4 or 3" shells at the most, and remember, you can use a mod. choke, but the imp. cylinder or wide open cyl. is your best bet.

You can't fire slugs out of shotguns that accept 3-1/2" shells?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:10 pm 
Crown Grade

155mm wrote:
jasonkdailey wrote:
Another factor you want to make sure is that the barrel on the gun is not a "turkey barrel" meaning make sure it is not fitted for 3 1/2 shotshells. If you try to fire a slug through a barrel like this, the slug could hit the lip inside the barrel at the front of the chamber, and the slug can slip through the top bottom or sides, causing severe injury or death. Your best bet is to make sure your gun shoots 2 3/4 or 3" shells at the most, and remember, you can use a mod. choke, but the imp. cylinder or wide open cyl. is your best bet.

You can't fire slugs out of shotguns that accept 3-1/2" shells?

I was woundering about that too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:08 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for all of the great info on shooting slugs. I really do think that I am going to stick to hunting with a rifle out here for my elk and deer. I trust their accuracy better and probably cost less than those special rifled shotguns. A well aimed shot from a .308 does a lot better at long range than a slug I'm sure. A tip for Jeff, when you get out on your elk hunt don't worry about packing a huge 300 weatherby mag or any thing like that. Marksmanship is much more important than huge power from a rifle, and your shoulder will thank you. .308 does great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

You can shoot slugs out of 3.5" guns. The chamber size does not play a part in the uses of slugs. On some 3.5" guns they use back bored barrels or over bored barrels in which the inside dia. is larger than the industry standard 12ga. You can shoot 2" shells in a 3.5" chambered pump if you want. Once the action is closed and the shell is in the chamber the only way the slug will go is out the end of the barrel. The over bored barrels come into play because depending on the size it is bored over there could be a "wobble" effect on the slug. The big thing here is you will never be able to shoot it with any type of consistancy. Mossberg has that warning on their web site in reguard to the 835 and now the 935 semi. Both use the over bored barrels and the actual inside dia. is to 10ga specs. Browning also has back bored barrels but my guess is not to the extreme of mossberg. This is taken from the FAQ on Brownings site.

Q. What type of slug ammunition should I use with my shotgun?

A. Any kind you want. We suggest Sabot slugs with our rifled barrels. Our Sabot Express choke tube allows you to shoot Sabot and Foster-type slugs through any Browning shotgun with back-bored barrels. We also have a Standard Invector rifled choke tube that allows you to shoot Sabot and Foster-type slugs through any Browning Standard Invector barrels.

I also downloaded the gold 3.5" owners manual and nothing saying you can't use slugs in the 3.5".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:06 pm 
Field Grade

That slug question is an interesting subject
I own several Remington shotguns with extra screw in chokes
A 870 for example- would using a rifled choke work with a slug or they only for a rifled barrel? I have one and wondered about that (I'm a collector of odd stuff).
Also I have a Browning B S/S and it only shows numbers under the foregrip. 3 on the left and 5 on the right barrels respectivly.
Confusing to me, what might they be and can they handle a slug load?
New here but I'v already said that on a previous post
You remember~a greenhand has to start somewhere, just get busy and clean out that though for the horses, their' thirsty
Hi Guys and hopefully Gals
Ain't information and sharing of it Great?
Last Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:15 am 
Presentation Grade

Well Last wolf you have a Browning BSS made by Miroku in Japan. I will say I have never seen any with barrels under 24" so that is cool on yours. Not sure what the numbers mean but if you open the breech on the machined metal of the barrels you should be able to find the choke marks. They could be somewhere else on the barrels but my first guess is there. They should look like this.

*Full Choke
*-Improved Modified
**Modified
**-Improved Cylinder
***Cylinder

On all the BSS's that I have seen they all had selectable barrels. The barrel selector button is located
in the rear of the trigger guard. To fire the more openly
choked, right barrel first, shift the barrel selector to
the right; to fire the tighter choked left barrel first,
shift the selector to the left. However if yours doesn't then I would think the right barrel should fire first (well I do have a 50% chance).

As for Slugs there are generally two kinds: Rifled slugs for use in smoothbore barrels and Sabot slugs for use in barrels with some type of rifling. Either the entire barrel or just the choke. The wife has a rifled slug barrel for her mossy and it does work really well with sabots out to about 75 yards, is all I tried. I have used slugs through my Browning A-5 with poly choke :D set to slug and again with the right rifled slug I can take shots out to 75 yards with good results. 75 yards is my limit for slugs. You can use either in your 870 put an imp cyl or cyl choke in and use rifled slugs or go buy a rifled choke for sabots. I have heard of people that were very happy with the performance of the rifled chokes from Remington. As to your BSS you can shoot them as long as you figure out the choking on it first. Either find the marks or get a set of calipers to measure the inside dia. of each.

And Last you can go here and down load the owners manual for you BSS.

http://www.browning.com/products/manuals/index.htm

Last edited by john305 on Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:20 am 
Diamond Grade

Hey AlastairMc--

Thanks for the tip--nothing I like better than learning something new about guns and hunting :) I've always said that if I ever get another rifle, it will be a .308 (right now I only own a rather venerable Marlin 336 in .35 Remington--does a great job, with its Lyman #66 peep sight, on deer on my yearly trip to the Maine brush). I got to shoot a .308 at the range recently--it kicked less noticeably less than my Marlin and shot nice tight groups (for me).

I want to call attention to something about John305's excellent and informative post. Note that he says "my limit on deer (with a slug) is 75 yards." I think that is important. John has taken the time to find out what he can do with the the shotgun at hand, he has set a limit for himself, and will therefore stick to it. THAT is what is essential guys--knowing the limitations of yourself and your equipment and not getting arrogant or fancy. Both John and I will make clean, ethical kills that we can feel comfortable with. Mine won't be beyond 50 yards, that's all.

Bravo John305! Thanks for your wisdom! Tell me John (if you check back on this thread and are willing) do you take running / walking shots on deer? I will take a walking shot only with my rifle--a slow walk at a good angle--broadside, semi quartering towards me. I will not take a running shot. With the rifle I'm solid as a rock within my own envelope--1.5" groups about 1" high at 100 yards all day, any day (have to use Winnie ammo though). I would be interested to know whether you set any rules for yourself regarding quartering shots, or let it develop and just use your obviously good judgement?

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well Jeff first thing to know is when I go out deer hunting it is not to bag a deer that is a bonus IF I do. I go out to get the hell away from every one. :) It depends if I had a shotgun no way. I just started hunting deer with a shotgun and only because I have to drive about 2 hours to any good area that alows rifle. I don't feel that comfortable with the shotgun. I can't say I won't take a walking shot but not likely and it all depends on distance of deer, size of deer, the amount of coverage inbetween us. I use my granpas 30.06 he had it custom built for himself in the early 50's based off a model 70 action. That is the only part that comes close to an off the shelf piece. He set it up and found the loads it likes and I have not touched anything on it except for sighting it in every two or three years. I will take shots out to 150 yards with this gun, it could go more but I can't find a scope better than the fixed 4x that is on there. The first deer I ever shot I had to track for roughly 5 mi (of my walking) that thing zigged and zagged. I learned a good leson that day it was: I am a lazy person and no deer is worth that. So since no matter what, if I hit a deer I will track it till it is not humanly possible I decided to revise my hunting practices. I hated that and form that day on I never had to "track" a deer farther than 200ft from where it was shot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:04 pm 
Jeff23--

I keep my .308 sighted for 150yrds. and firing Winchester Super-X 180gr. silvertips I can get 1.5" groupings. I have had the best luck with those rounds for hunting elk. They fly straight and true every time. :D

AlastairMc.

(forgot to sign in.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks to you both for your thoughts and your wisdom. Any day I learn something form another shooter is a good day. Today I got a little extra knowledge --and you know what? I find that if I listen instead of shoot my mouth off I learn something every time.

Best to you both,

Jeff23

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association