CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ 712 Magnum review
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:30 am 
Field Grade

Got out to shoot my new 28", CZ 712 Magnum (3-1/2") today for the first time. I didn't really want the mag. version as I intend to shoot casual trap with the gun, but I couldn't find a standard 712 (currently discontinued) with a 28" barrel. I got the mag. new for only $365 ($499 msrp) so I couldn't pass.

Fit & finish on this gun is excellent. The Turkish Walnut stock is as nice as many guns costing 4X the price. The black chromed finish is matte in appearance and looks very rich & true black. The action cycles very smooth with no noticable rough spots in the stroke. It has a single brass bead.

Prior to firing the gun for the first time I disassembled it and cleaned the factory lube from all the parts. I re-lubed all moving parts with a drop or two of Tri-Flow, including a light coat of oil rubbed into the O.D. of the magazine tube.

I purchased three different inexpensive light game, or trap loads to see if the mag. version would cycle with the ammo. I hoped to shoot in it for clays.

I purchased Remington "Game Load" (1oz. of #7-1/2 shot, 3-1/4drm, 1290fps), Remington "Gun Club" (1-1/8 oz. of #8 shot, 2-3/4drm, 1145fps), and Federal "Top Gun" (1-1/8 oz. of #8 shot, 2-3/4drm, 1145fps). I figured since these are about as light as factory trap loads come, If the gun cycled these it would cycle anything.

My two shooting buddies thought it would be smart to break-in the magnum with a few rounds of "hot" loads, and offered me 25 rounds of their reloaded "Chuker loads". These loads were AA hulls, with 1-3/8 oz. of #7 shot going fast (I don't remember the velocity).

We all took turns shooting the new CZ from behind a Do-All-Trap. Two of us are 6'1", and one fellow is 6'3". Long story short is that we all "smoked" clays equally well with the 712 Mag.! While we didn't pattern the gun on paper to check POI, it would seem that the gun shoots where it's suppose to (pattern work to follow).

Out of 125 rounds of 4 different loads, the brand new CZ only had one faliure to feed! One of the Gun Club rounds caught at the front edge of the breech and wedged the bolt open. Pretty darn good feeding with only one failure out of 125 various rounds from a brand new gun!

As of this time the CZ 712 Magnum gets a big "thumbs Up" from me :wink:

Details about this gun can be found at www.czusa.com

Post subject: Re: CZ 712 Magnum review
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:45 am 

Sounds like you are pretty happy with your new gun, congrats!

I would be a bit concerned about a feed problem w/in 125 shells. Hopefully it was just a goofy shell.

Keep us updated as you put more shells through it.

~ Al Capone ~

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Glad to see the CZ712 reveiw. I've seen several CZ o/u and sxs, and was impressed with the apparent quality. I want to switch to a auto loader for next waterfowl season, and settled on the Benneli Extrema.
Just recently saw the 712 and figured I could use that extra grand saved on a shotgun purchase for good shells and donuts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:58 pm 
Field Grade

My CZ 712 now has 500 rounds through it without being cleaned and the gun is still cycling at normal speed, and with only 1 failure-to-feed in 500 shots! I am purposely not cleaning to find the point where cycling slows.

So far I've let 6 different shooters break clays with it and all have shot it well. We still haven't taken the time to put it on paper but it seems to be puttin' the pattern on the birds for all who have fired it thus far :D

The last 375 rounds were Remington Game Loads (1oz/7.5/1290fps).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:20 pm 
Field Grade

Over 1000 rounds through the CZ and it has functioned flawlessly with a variety of loads :D

I have posted some excellent scores with it at the local trap club as well!

The only negative detail I can report is that the factory choke tubes do not stay tight and require a snug with the wrench every 50 rounds or so.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
I want to switch to a auto loader for next waterfowl season, and settled on the Benneli Extrema.
Just recently saw the 712 and figured I could use that extra grand saved on a shotgun purchase for good shells and donuts

Isn't the extrema made by Beretta?

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like the mossburg autoloader. Don't know why, but I trust it a little more. My 500 has worked well up here in Alaska.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:33 pm 
Field Grade

Just wanted to give an update on my CZ 712, and let those who are interested know that I just won my class in the Oregon State Trap Shooting Championships while shooting a CZ 712.

The Oregon State Trapshooting Association (OSTA), in conjunction with the Pacific International Trapshooting Association (PITA) held the 75th annual Oregon State Trapshooting Championships this past week at the Hillsboro Trap&Skeet Club. Several hundred shooters competed for various state titles. While shooting my CZ 712 in competition against shooters using Perazzis, Kolars, Krieghoffs, Lujutics, and high-end Brownings I was able to win the "2006 C-Class Oregon State Singles Championship", which is a 200 target event. I also competed in the prestigious PITA "Rookie Of The Year" competition which involved the combined scores of three different events (300 targets), and won that honor with the CZ as well.

My CZ 712 is completely stock with the exception of an extended choke tube, and a stick-on shell catcher added to the action.

At this time the CZ 712 has seen thousands of rounds and has performed flawlessly.

Don't know if CZ-USA will re-introduce this Huglu import again (recently discontinued), but I can now recommend it to any who might be interested without any reservations about it's durability, and shootability.

CZ and trophy awards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My thoughts on any firearm... It really doesn't matter what other people think about your firearms, make or type as long is it's legal... If the gun fits, works for you... Shoot it and have fun..!

Congratulations on your state shotgunning awards. You must be very proud... That CZ-712 sure has done the job for you regardless what anyone has to say good or bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Congrats RGunner!!!!!!

Post subject: re: CZ 712 Magnum review
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

RGunner, how's that CZ doing? Update please.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quite an enjoyable thread!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

My CZ-712 non magnum (which is for sale in the classifieds) has been flawless also. Except for shooting dirty Federal rounds. After about 100 rounds it would not cycle. I took the forearm off, wiped it down, sprayed some CLP and it was find the rest of the day. Took less than 2 min to clean it.

Some earlier models had firing pin problems, so I called CZ and they sent me a new updated firing pin design and I installed it, and shot 200 more rounds through it.

Post subject: Re: re: CZ 712 Magnum review
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

SureThing wrote:
My CZ-712 non magnum (which is for sale in the classifieds) has been flawless also. Except for shooting dirty Federal rounds. After about 100 rounds it would not cycle. I took the forearm off, wiped it down, sprayed some CLP and it was find the rest of the day. Took less than 2 min to clean it.

Some earlier models had firing pin problems, so I called CZ and they sent me a new updated firing pin design and I installed it, and shot 200 more rounds through it.

It looks nice too. I like the looks of it with the 26 inch barrel. I'm trying my best to take it off your hands. Possibly by the end of the week I can get the payment to you.

I agree............this has been quite an enjoyable thread.

Post subject: Re: re: CZ 712 Magnum review
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

SureThing wrote:

Sending an email now...........Consider it sold.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Bought a CZ 712 Magnum (can shoot 3.5) at a gun show, NIB, never fired. Cleaned it reasonably well and took it to the trap range. Shot 100 target loads (1 and1/8) through it and it would not eject shells. Realized I had a gas piston washer btw the piston and the action spring. The configuration for the magnum after the gas ports is washer--gas piston spring--washer--Magazine Cap. I believe the gas piston spring is between the action spring and piston for the regular 712.

Also talked to a gunsmith at CZ today. They said the firing pin issue was on 2003 and 2004 models. The year made is the first two #s in the serial #.

Gonna go try to shoot target loads again today. Hopefully it works. Will let you know how it goes.

Any ideas on getting this thing to fire target loads??? Maybe it's not designed to shoot low brass.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wow. I've used mine for everything ducks, targets, doves, and no issues at all. Below is a pic of it from this season in the duck blind. It's been flawless for 6 years.

The thing I want and hope is to never fail Christ in anything. I hope to have the courage now, as ever to show the blessings of Christ in my life. I want to do this whether I die, or I live. Phil 1:20

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

willforless wrote:
Also talked to a gunsmith at CZ today. They said the firing pin issue was on 2003 and 2004 models.

This information is probably inaccurate.

The "712" is not a Huglu designation. It is strictly a CZ-USA designation. No Huglu "712" has ever been produced except for importation by CZ-USA. The same gun is sold in other countries under another designation, but "712" is strictly a CZ-USA designation.

CZ-USA did not start importing Huglu guns until 2005. This means that while the initial "712s" were probably of 2004 manufacture there were almost certainly no 2003 "712s" ever built.

In 2006 CZ-USA started putting aftermarket firing pins in the 712s as replacements due to continual breakage problems.

In late 2006 or early 2007 the 712 was discontinued by CZ-USA. It was redesigned and re-released in late 2007 or early 2008.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

By most accounts, the redesigned "712" is a good and reliable inexpensive SA.

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!

Last edited by 2fewdaysafield on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:21 pm 
Crown Grade

chasu wrote:
Wow. I've used mine for everything ducks, targets, doves, and no issues at all. Below is a pic of it from this season in the duck blind. It's been flawless for 6 years.

Great looking gun and even nicer photo of the dog! Image of the day for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gotta love those Boykins.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.