CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Size Choke for Slugs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:50 am 
Utility Grade

Hi
What's the smallest choke I can use (F.M.I)when it comes to shooting sabot and rifled slugs through my 12 gauge?

I'd Appreciate any help.

Post subject: Re: What Size Choke for Slugs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:17 am 
Tournament Grade

First of all. I don't think you would shoot sabots and rifled slugs through the same barrel.

If the barrel you have is rifled, then you would use sabots. If you have a smoothbore barrel then you would use the foster or rifled slugs.

I would recommend you use the Improved Cylinder choke in a smooth bore. If you have a barrel that is rifled I would assume it is already set up for sabots and you would shoot it as is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

When shooting slugs through my smoothbore I found my modified choke tube to shoot most accurately. My full choke tube was second best. Improved cylinder was worst of the three.

You do have to be careful what you shoot through a smoothbore. Sabot rounds and some of the Brenneke slugs are intended for rifled barrels only.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:26 pm 
Field Grade

Before I picked up a rifled barrel, I shot fosters (Remington Sluggers) out of a smoothbore. Modified choke and then full were my choices.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:58 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I have found that Foster type slugs give the best oerformance from an improved clyinder or skeet choke. However,every barrel is slightly different and every ammo type is different so it is very important to see hoe your gun will handle slugs.

Kart29 is quite correct in saying that some slugs are not intended for some barrels. Hastings warn not to shoot Remington Copper Solids in their barrels. I believe that some Dixie Slugs are also designed only for rifled barrels. Of course any older European barrel that is marked "NOT FOR BALL" should not be used with solid ball ammunition.