CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:10 pm 
Has anyone seen these shotguns or heard anything good/bad about them?




Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:37 am
Posts: 13
I've heard that the 870 clone is a pretty decent shotgun. I've seen a few but never fired one. They're certainly cheap enough!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:51 pm 
I've got both the Norinco 982 w/ghostring sights and the Hawk 981 (identical to Norinco except for the markings) w/bead sight as beater/budget shotguns. Both have taken all the 870 accessories/parts I've tried (including a factory 870 bolt) and both have functioned flawlessly to date. My only complaints so far are that the factory recoil pads are too hard and that the screws for retaining/adjusting the ghostring sights need to be Loctited (?) down to prevent them from loosening under heavy recoil. I think the factory mag tube spring and follower look a bit wimpy so I replaced them w/Wilson spring/follower kits. I can't speak as to the long term durability yet but so far they appear to be very good HD shotguns for those on a very limited budget. HTH...
Tomac


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:05 pm
Posts: 1
Hey, I'm new here, I have a Norinco 982. Just last week, the front sight fell off the gun while my friend was shooting it, and I lost it. I don't even know where to get a replacement. Will a remington 870 front sight fit, and what size? Maybe a gunsmith can make one? Just now I read the post about having to loctite the sights down. Ah hell. The gun functions 100%, but that sight problem annoys me. Now I hear they don't import these guns anymore..............I shoulda bought the real thing......... :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:39 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:07 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Caldwell, Idaho
AJ98Z28 wrote:
Hey, I'm new here, I have a Norinco 982. Just last week, the front sight fell off the gun while my friend was shooting it, and I lost it. I don't even know where to get a replacement. Will a remington 870 front sight fit, and what size? Maybe a gunsmith can make one? Just now I read the post about having to loctite the sights down. Ah hell. The gun functions 100%, but that sight problem annoys me. Now I hear they don't import these guns anymore..............I shoulda bought the real thing......... :oops:


With so many 870 parts/accessories fitting the 982 w/o modification try taking your bbl to your local 'smith and see if any std front sight blades will fit before going the custom route.
HTH...
Tomac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:14 am 
I've got a 12 gauge Norinco YL12-1J4 pump (very close resemblence to a Remington 870).

I got it at a gun show for $180... the first time I fired it, then pumped it, the damn fore end came loose from the sliding tube on the mag tube. The metal on the end was weak and broke. The local gunsmith fixed it for $30, but I've been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to shoot it. I don't know if he thought it would be best to try to fix it first (to save me some cash) and see if it would work, or if the parts were just hard to find. I hope that's not the case, because if it breaks again, I'm out $180 for a broken gun.

Just my experience with Norinco guns.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 2
Location: Las Vegas
Hey there gun lovers. I have a norinco hawk 982 shotgun, having been an infantry man in the Marine Corps I have gotten to shoot a wide variety of fire arms, from pistols, machine guns and shotguns, the quality of this shotguns is good, and just to put this out there, Norinco is one of Chinas largest suplier of their military's harware from small arms to ati-aircraft weaponry. I have had no problems with this firearm. The 982 is not pretty, and its not a competition peice, but it can get the job done. I have seen worst on the market. With propper maintanace and its ability to accept 870 parts if needed, I anticipate that my 982 will be in my collection for a while. Happy shooting, and remeber the #1!, safety first!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 2
Location: Las Vegas
Hey there gun lovers. I have a norinco hawk 982 shotgun, having been an infantry man in the Marine Corps I have gotten to shoot a wide variety of fire arms, from pistols, machine guns and shotguns, the quality of this shotguns is good, and just to put this out there, Norinco is one of Chinas largest suplier of their military's harware from small arms to ati-aircraft weaponry. I have had no problems with this firearm. The 982 is not pretty, and its not a competition peice, but it can get the job done. I have seen worst on the market. With propper maintanace and its ability to accept 870 parts if needed, I anticipate that my 982 will be in my collection for a while. Happy shooting, and remeber the #1!, safety first!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:17 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:47 pm
Posts: 5494
Location: Salt Lake. Unless I'm off shooting....
WHY DID YOU DIG UP A 4 YEAR OLD DEAD THREAD?

_________________
Mike Power
NSSA 170504

Kill 'em all


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:00 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:45 pm
Posts: 576
Location: kearney missouri
being an ex-infantryman in the army the only reason i can see why he revived it is because he was a marine go figure, a little huimor here.

_________________
We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we will be brothers forever, Currahee.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:46 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:52 pm
Posts: 6067
Location: Ontario, Canada
MRPOWER wrote:
WHY DID YOU DIG UP A 4 YEAR OLD DEAD THREAD?


Seems to be a lot of "reviving" old threads these days, now the subject is back, though, time for my standard rant on the subject.

In regards to the Chinese Chinese made copy of the Remington 870, personally, I have a major problem with them.

IMHO. it is one thing for a Chinese manufacturer to make a replica 1897 Winchester, designed in the 1890's, last made in 1957, at a facility that no longer exists.

It is another thing to copy a current U.S. design, which is still presently being manufactured, in the U.S.

Except for a few outside cosmetic diffences such as the back of the receiver on the version being made now, the parts in the link look like they were directly copied from the 870, to me.

http://www.hr1871.com/documents/manuals ... Manual.pdf

If the Chinese want to design their own gun, make it a good design, well made, out of good materials and sell it on its merrit, that's one thing.

In this case, it is a gun that they did not have to bear the design costs for, they don't have the same wage scale as Ilion NY, I doubt they have to meet the same labor, safety and envirionmental laws as they do in the U.S.; a few reasons why they can sell them that cheap.

If a person is happy to buy it because it is inexpensive and they work in an industry making, selling or dependant on domestically manufactured products, hopefully, the product they count on for a livelihood is not illegaly copied by the Chinese, or they will not be buying any more guns if they are unemployed.

I have no problem buying offshore products that are original designs and are unique because of their design/quality but personally, I draw the line at a copy of a currently manufactured item.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:26 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:14 pm
Posts: 3898
Location: SoCal
Hey Claydust,
If you were to take one of these guys fake chinese 870's and my 30+ year old Wingmaster and started running ammo though them both:
which one do you think would be in working order a week from now?? :roll:

I'm betting my Remington! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:21 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:52 pm
Posts: 6067
Location: Ontario, Canada
wb wrote:
Hey Claydust,
If you were to take one of these guys fake chinese 870's and my 30+ year old Wingmaster and started running ammo though them both:
which one do you think would be in working order a week from now?? :roll:

I'm betting my Remington! :lol:


Been there, done that; well at least 1/2 of the scenario :wink:

870TB, bought new in Dec. 1976.

Main trap gun from 1977 to 2005, (replaced by 1100 Classic Trap but not going anywhere soon).

I don't have an issue with everything from across the Pacific; like Citori's and my BT99, drive a Camry, ride a Yamaha FJR1300 but these were selected because in the case of the vehicles because of their original design quality and service reputation, the Citori's are based on the Browning Superposed but made by agreement with Browning; and the quality is there.

The 870 clone is an unauthorized copy and IMHO, that is just wrong. NEF brings these in too, they are part of Marlin. I wonder how Marlin would like someone having a copy of the popular 336 levergun made in China and sold in the U.S. and Canada for a 1/3 of the price of a 336 :?:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:49 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 11:56 pm
Posts: 25
Claydust wrote:
The 870 clone is an unauthorized copy and IMHO, that is just wrong. NEF brings these in too, they are part of Marlin. I wonder how Marlin would like someone having a copy of the popular 336 levergun made in China and sold in the U.S. and Canada for a 1/3 of the price of a 336 :?:

The 870 patent expired after 17 years and it's been 50 years already. Anyone can copy the 870 without breaking any law.
If you want to pay more for a 50 year old design now public, feel free to. But for the money, the Norinco 982 is the best 870 out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:42 pm
Posts: 17125
Location: Missouri
Why do we let Chinese copies of currently sold American products in this country without a tariff to equalize the wage rates?
According to a recent National Geographic magazine article,
the average rate of pay for a Chinese factory worker is currently a thousand dollars per year. He has to live in a dormitory on company property, work six or even seven days a week, 12 to 16 hours a day. He's literally a slave, except his employer can fire him for no reason and thereafter not have to house him. They work for a few years like this, so they can save a few thousand dollars and go back to their little villages and set up some kind of business. A major problem in the factories is workers going to sleep on the job. If you are sick, you loose your job. If you get hurt, you loose your job. If you complain, you loose your job. And there are always lines of poor devils lined up to take your job. The environment, is not, shall we say, of any concern to the employer,,,,,nor is the quality of the product beyond the barest necessity to make a sale.

How in the world did we ever, ever get so greedy we allowed ourselves to deal with nations that allow their workers to be treated this way? We've had labor laws in this country, and most of the modern world has too, for at least seventy years,,,or longer,,,that outlaw such practices. How can we deal in good conscience with the renegade nations that allow it, and even reward our own manufacturers for going there to manufacture products that used to be made in the USA?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:09 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:55 pm
Posts: 529
Location: New Zealand
It happens,because when it comes down to a choice between money or morals,money wins out every time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: MAX100 mag extension
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:20 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 11:56 pm
Posts: 25
MAX100,
Does you mag extension for the 982 come with a spring/follower?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:06 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:51 am
Posts: 61
SuperXOne wrote:
Why do we let Chinese copies of currently sold American products in this country without a tariff to equalize the wage rates?
According to a recent National Geographic magazine article,
the average rate of pay for a Chinese factory worker is currently a thousand dollars per year. He has to live in a dormitory on company property, work six or even seven days a week, 12 to 16 hours a day. He's literally a slave, except his employer can fire him for no reason and thereafter not have to house him. They work for a few years like this, so they can save a few thousand dollars and go back to their little villages and set up some kind of business. A major problem in the factories is workers going to sleep on the job. If you are sick, you loose your job. If you get hurt, you loose your job. If you complain, you loose your job. And there are always lines of poor devils lined up to take your job. The environment, is not, shall we say, of any concern to the employer,,,,,nor is the quality of the product beyond the barest necessity to make a sale.

How in the world did we ever, ever get so greedy we allowed ourselves to deal with nations that allow their workers to be treated this way? We've had labor laws in this country, and most of the modern world has too, for at least seventy years,,,or longer,,,that outlaw such practices. How can we deal in good conscience with the renegade nations that allow it, and even reward our own manufacturers for going there to manufacture products that used to be made in the USA?



So what are these chinese people supose to do without that crappy john? Aint much else out their for unskilled labor..Should then send US AID of FOOD becuase they cant make a living, due to tariffs imposed on china?

_________________
Life is a tough teacher first you get the lesson then you learn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:09 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:16 am
Posts: 10514
I am waiting for Norinco to bring out their $200 version of the Winchesrter Model 21. It would put Tony Galazan out of business.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
CAUTION: Things may appear closer in the rear view mirror!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Norinco 981/982
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:16 pm
Posts: 2
Can't find this on any other post. Does anyone know what side saddle(s) will work on 982?




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: albatros, AntelopeTG, avogunner, Bing [Bot], birdshooter1, Bob S, BOB_HARWELL, bojo, BrianK, Buckeyebill, buddha1950, budrock56, Carbonizer, Cerberus, Chris Ferres, CLuttrell, collins1707, COOTCOMMANDER, ded&ded, dickgtax, don12, dukhntr, dutch@fx4, FlyChamps, Ga. Skeet, GF1, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, GrizG, Grousen, Icemon, idropd1, ithacarick, jac63, jackvoorheis, jer901, John H, jpari, jsorvik, ken325, kjs, LockStock&Arrow, lrhredjb, marsingbob, Matt3357, mcbirch, Mike McAlpine, Mike2043, napawino, NEF308, oldnnp, oldtexan, p-man, pitted bore, ptbrew, pud123, RAR71, RMORR, rtermes, Rudolph31, RudyN, SeanMiller, seb7515, sedae, shaynster, ShowMe2, slotracer577, SuperXThree, Tom Doniphon, Trapperjohn01, Trouptc, TuJays, tvone, valkyrierdr, woodcock1


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group     -  DMCA Notice