CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remove light surface rust?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Gang. What's the best way/product to remove light surface rust. Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Remove light surface rust?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd take some 0000 steel wool with some oil and lightly rub the rusted part. The rust should come off. If you need to touch up the blueing a little get some cold blue from Brownells.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with Gabe. You'd be surprised at how good a gun looks after just a little work with 0000 steel wool, oil, and elbow grease.

If the gun has a glossy blue finish, rub lightly to keep from dulling the finish. Brownells sells bronze wool which is easier on the finish, but I have found the steel works well.

For touch-ups, I have had good results with Birchwood-Casey Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue. I tried a B-C paste blue without much luck. Most good gun shops carry the B-C products.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

The above advice is right on. I've cleaned-up numerous old shotguns with 0000 steel wool and it makes for a remarkable improvement without damaging the blue. Do not use anything coarser or you'll lose some blue and scratch the metal. I might also suggest that the oil be WD-40 or a similar product that will help dissolve the rust a bit. Most used guns have at least a light film of rust on them because they haven't been properly cared-for in awhile. Any pitted or flaked areas can be cleaned up with a bronze brush first. Getting existing oxidation cleaned off will help prevent further/future oxidation from occurring as rapidly, and if you keep it lightly oiled should prevent it entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:10 am 
Field Grade

My extrema went through heavy rain yesterday and only got cleaned this morning, guess what I found on the barrel.My extrema has a black finish and steel wool even fine will probably ( I have not tried ) wear the finish off.I would think chemicaly removing the rust would be a better idea ( at least , I assume so ), what would you recommend and once the rust is off what would be recommended as touch up on those rusted spots, I assume that if it rusted , its because the original finish had some nicks or scratches.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:32 am 
Crown Grade

Even 0000 steel wool is bretty agressive. I would never use it on light surface rust.

Don't use harsh rust removing chemicals on blued steel. Blue IS rust and will come off.

Penetrating oil and elbow grease without an abrasive will do a lot. I know it sounds weird but try oiling the metal and use a flat soft piece of pine wood to rub firmly over the affected area. The oil will allow the rust particles to come way.

Gently use of abrasives like Flintz or even automobile wax work but should be a last resort.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:57 am 
Field Grade

The only place there is rust ( minor ) is on the barrel, it has a black matte finish. Is that black considered ¨blue¨.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Try the bio-degradeable solvent M-Pro-7, too. This is very very mild, but for LIGHT rust, it does a very good job. Since steel wool might abrade, use a cloth like a bed-sheet or some cleaning patches -- I have some that are very fuzzy/fleecy on one side and like a light canvas on the other, and use the "canvas" side.
Like all the other suggestions here, elbow grease is a key ingredient.

Oil it very, very well after using this stuff, then go back and oil it again the next day.

There is no such power in the sentence or command of fools that by their vote the nature of things can be reversed -- Cicero

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

"Since steel wool might abrade, use a cloth like a bed-sheet or some cleaning patches -- I have some that are very fuzzy/fleecy on one side and like a light canvas on the other, and use the "canvas" side.
Like all the other suggestions here, elbow grease is a key ingredient. "

I couldn't disagree more. Clean oily/wet steel wool will not harm the blueing. In fact clean oily/wet stainless steel pot scrubbers won't harm the buleing either. Both of these will "grab at" the rust and pluck it off/out. If the steel wool gets dirty with rust the rust will act as an abrasive and damage the blue. Rubbing the hell out of it will cloth will damage the blueing if you succeed and getting some rust to come off, since the rust is abrasive.

The best "juice" for getting at rust is a detergent called "The Eliminator" It is water based and much better at getting the rust in solution than any oily stuff.

http://eliminatorsales.home.att.net/

The Eliminator® will remove rust from gun barrels without disturbing the bluing. Saturate a piece of 0000 steel wool with the 9:1 Eliminator® solution and scrub the area. Watch the rust lift away from the blueing! After the area is cleaned, apply a premium gun oil to preserve the finish.

I don't go for miracle products. This is one exception. This stuff is magic.