CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iver Johnson Serial Number?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I am not looking for any value, but would like some help in identification. I just inherited an Iver Johnson 12 gauge single shot shotgun. Matted Rib, with long barrel. There is a number stamped under the trigger guard of 34xx, can't remember the last two digits. A local gunsmith I talked with thought it might be a part number for the trigger guard on the phone, but when he saw the gun, said it was in the nicest shape he had ever seen a gun this old. I am just trying to find a history to put with the gun and gradfather, and realize the information is rather vague, however any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated to a family with questions. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Iver Johnson Serial Number?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:56 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I don't think you'll ever know for sure. I don't think there is any source for Iver Johnson serial number data.. That particular model was made from 1909 to 1948.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello rpkirk: A matted rib, well you could have the field version, or the single barrel Trap version, both are rare. Can you describe the stocks? You don't have a $100 shooter here!!

Regards Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info guys. Dave, I will get to the smith shortly and at least get some pitures of it for your evaluation. Thanks again, rpkirk.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:25 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Dave: All the Trap Grade singles I have seen Had Vent ribs a real fancy wood. We need a photo.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Bushrod: You would be correct if it's built on the "champion" frame, those Traps, were vent ribs made from 1909-1942. My first thought was of it's predecessor made from the mid to late 1890s to 1908, since rpkirk didn't mention "champion". Of course pictures will tell all! I hope we can see some!

Regards Dave