CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Super X 1 Trap Gun
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:42 pm 
Field Grade

What kind of opinions are there about a Winchester Super X 1 Trap gun? I was looking in to picking one up from a friend. He hasnt shot it much so I wanted to know reliability issues or just general opinions about a Super X 1. Also, what is a good price for the gun in 95% condition? Thanks in advance, eric

Post subject: Re: Winchester Super X 1 Trap Gun
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

It's just about the best semi-auto built but there are a few things that you have to look out for.

First is to see if there is a screw in the rib on the muzzle side of the bead. If there is, no big deal, but these can back out over time so you have to watch it. If it does back out, put some red lok-tite on it and screw it back in.

Look at the magazine tube. It can rust and pit and develop holes over time. It's not a big deal as you can replace it but plan on spending around $40 for an aftermarket stainless tube to replace it.

Also, take a look at the recoil spring follower inside the receiver. These can wear and cause cycling issues. An aftermarket replacement is around $20.00

Then look at the buffer inside the receiver. This keeps the bolt from battering the receiver. Frankly, it's an easy replacement and will save the gun so you should just probably replace it anyway as they dry out over time.

Then, shoot the gun, if your standard 1oz loads eject much more than 10 feet, you probably need a new recoil spring. $10.00

With those few simple maintenance issues, the SX1 will last you forever and will be as reliable as any semi auto.

For a trap model in 95%, I would say around $650 is a good price.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Good info to know Bopper, thanks, I've seen several SX1's at gunshows and have been contemplating a purchase, and now I'm aware of what to look for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Good info above, GordonWood421 and TexasTon are other noted SX-1 experts. If they don't catch this post soon, you might want to pm them for more info.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bopper covered the quick /gun show overview very well ;claysmoker is right about TexasTon , he is an SX-1 maven .

The only thing of consequence I would add to Bopper's overview would be to compare the a gun's S/N with the trigger.
Somewhere above about 45XXX , Winchester changed to the smooth faced trigger affectionately referred to as a "3rd Stage"
trigger . Guns with a 3rd stage trigger will usually bring a bit of a premium over those with earlier triggers --- some owners will swap out a 3rd stage trigger in a "high" S/N gun with a earlier production trigger .

If an SX-1 with an early trigger appeals to you in all other respects , ask the seller if you can dry fire the gun . If the trigger feels good , and you are getting serious , ask the seller to remove the trigger assy and look down on the hammer/spring/sear . Early triggers have an allen-head cap screw that can be used to adjust creep . You would want to be sure that the cap screw is intact and hasn't had a portion break off . The cap screw should be secured with loctite.

If you look closely at the hammer spring you should be able to see if there may be 2 concentric -that is very early production and Winchester went to a single hammer spring somewhere alond the way . That spring(s) is easily removed and replaced and is often doneas part of a general upgrading .

Barrels with soldered-at -the-muzzle ribs were introduced at a
different time that the trigger and are often swapped out .

If you happen across an "Improved Modified Trap Choke" barrel ,
the IM barreled gun will also probably priced higher because of the scarcity of barrels with that choke . Many SX-1 lovers consider IM barrels too "nice" to subject to any meddlin' . If you want a "Full" and the gun is IM , buy it and trade/sell the barrel and come out ahead .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:08 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you very much, going to check out the sx1 this weekend... eric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As long as we're talking about SX-1 barrels. Did Stan Baker make an SX-1 barrel? I saw one the other day in a shop that looked like a Baker barrel. It was a hi-rib model, kind of a matt finish, the end of the barrel was "flared" for the choke tube and it was ported. Price was around $850. Gun did not have the newer trigger either.
Thanks
OtH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OTH ,

I have never seen an SX-1 "tubed" in the early Baker style that a bunch of 1100s received . That isn't to say , though, that others may not have used the same method before thin-walled systems were developed .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:09 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Over-the-Hill wrote:
As long as we're talking about SX-1 barrels. Did Stan Baker make an SX-1 barrel? I saw one the other day in a shop that looked like a Baker barrel. It was a hi-rib model, kind of a matt finish, the end of the barrel was "flared" for the choke tube and it was ported. Price was around $850. Gun did not have the newer trigger either.
Thanks
OtH

I have two "swaged" Baker SX barrels, they take Winchokes but I think---these are made by Teague. But, nothing more than swaging the barrel to accept chokes, and of course the rib had to be resoldered/shortened. Pretty sure, Baker was the only privateer capable of doing a barrel like that.

To add to this, these tubes are perfectly fit to the bore, no big mouth opening to the tube to catch crap and hang---they stay as clean as a fixed choke gun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This does not appear to be a Winchester barrel. It had a high rib like an Olympic rib found on a Ljutic. I also believe it had a 34" barrel and was ported. It looked substantially longer than the 30" on my SX-1 Trap. Also had an adjustable soft comb to match the high rib. The wood on the gun was not in the greatest shape. I thought the price was too high. However if it is a Baker barrel, would that justify that price?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

He might have made some "Baker Big Bores" for X's, but I have no idea. The 1100's he made are realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll pricey, $1K for the barrel alone-------and up. Certainly not worth it to me and would be a novelty item only. But I would sure like to try the barrel for grins---

A guy on TS.com had a NIB 1100 Baker Barrel, IIRC, he wanted $2K for it. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: