CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is barrel bulge?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

What is barrel bulge and what does it look like?

Post subject: Re: What is barrel bulge?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

chico,

Are you looking for barrel bulge as caused by steel shot in an older tight choked gun? Or the kind of bulge caused by a barrel obstruction?

Steel shot can cause a ring at the start of the choke--maybe BBB steel in an older full choke gun--can be seen, looking down the barrel as a dark, ring. Some times you can feel this bulge with your finger nail on the outside of the barrel some times you can feel it with a very tight patch pushed down the barrel.

A barrel bulge from water, or a wad or a piece of debris in the shot gun barrel at firing will most often be visible if you look down top, side or bottom of the outside of the barrel.

What gun and what might the expected cause of the bulge have been?

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

The reason I'm asking is I've got an A-5 light 12 stalker. I was looking at the barrel a while back(outside of the barrel) and noticed that the barrel is not smoothe from receiver to the end of the barrel. Towards the end of the barrel(looking at it from the receiver end) it looks like it expands towards the end of the barrel all the way to the end of the barrel. It's perfectly uniform all the way around the barrel and doesn't look abnormal. I'm at work so I don't have the gun in front of me but it starts approx. 6" to 8" from the end of the barrel to the tip of the barrel. I've never noticed this on my other guns but this is my only stalker. Sorry if this is confusing but is this normal? If it is I'm gonna feel like an idiot!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Chico,

Sounds like a normal flare or bell in the choke/muzzle area of the barrel. Many different makes and models of shotguns are designed this way to put a little more "meat" in the barrel/s to support the choke tube/s. Is it possible that this is what you are seeing?

SPIII

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

SPIII,

It very well may be. This is my first A-5 without a fixed choke barrel and I just don't know if this is the norm or not. It almost looks too perfect to be anything else but it would make me feel better if I knew for sure. Does anyone know if all stalkers are like this? Thanks for the help SPIII.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Also the flare starts a bit below the choke and continues to the tip of the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If the gun has inter-changable chokes then you are looking at your barrel as it is designed to be. The metal at the front, muzzle, end is tapered out to accomodate the choke and it's threads.

Some refer to this as a swamped barrel some a contured barrel. The shotguns I have with inter-changeable chokes (that to not have this feature) are ones in which Briley has installed thin wall chokes and I believe my 1100 Remington Steel Shot barrel is without the contour. It may be there but it is not as pronounced as it is on the Browning and Winchester that I own.

Believe me, you'd not want a straight barrel as it would either require a lot of weight in the butt to balance the gun or you'd have one front heavy shotgun.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

Last edited by Fish Springs on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Man that makes me feel much better!!!! Thanks for all the info guys!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:52 am 
Field Grade

Yep, perfectly normal!!!

John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

I also agree that you are probably looking at normal flair at the end of your barrel. If you are not sure, just take your gun into a gunshop or gunsmith and ask. It is a very reasonable request to be on the safe side.

For what it's worth, Browning claims it is OK to continue to use a barrel that has ring bulge. (bulge at the end of barrel, not in the middle). The following is directly off the browining website;

From the Browning Web Site

Q. Can I shoot steel shot in my Browning shotgun?
A. All current Browning shotguns with the Invector or Invector-Plus choke tube system are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ringe bulge" just inches behind the muzzle. The damage to your gun is purely cosmetic, but the "bulge" can be a factor in resale, especially with collector-grade shotguns.