CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skeet gun compared to field gun
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:47 pm 
Field Grade

This my first post, very interesting forum, hope you can give me some direction. I am a very experienced hunter who is a casual skeet shooter (I am not interested in trap though I shoot it better). All of my shotguns are field grade not skeet guns they consist of 12s and 20s in O/U, pump, and semi-auto. I shoot #8s and all guns have either ImpCyl or Mod choking. I generally break about 18-20 skeets a round with any of these guns and I would like to improve to about 23-24. I currently shoot about 20-25 rounds of skeet ayear, I would be willing to shoot 100+ rounds a year if I could improve my score.

I have handled skeet guns in stores and they feel great and I am aware of what they cost. So my question is, will buying a skeet gun improve my score that much, does a skeet gun really make that much of a difference on your score? Would I be better off having one of my current guns modified for skeet shooting? How about just using my current guns and using very open chokes and shooting #9 shot? Does a better score have more to do with the shooter than the gun? Thank you for any advise.

Post subject: Re: skeet gun compared to field gun
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just buy some skeet chokes for your guns.Unless you plan on shooting in competitions but don't buy a skeet gun until your breaking 24's and 25's every round and then really think about it befroe you buy one.
Maybe I'll see you out at Trible B.That is, if your in So Cal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

Get a very open choke and #9's first then buy a skeet gun. Also if you want those high scores your going to have to shoot more right now.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:51 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I agree with all that has been said, #9 and skeet chokes in a field gun will do everything needed IF YOU DO YOUR PART. :cry:

Rather than spend the cash on a new gun, I would see if there is anyone offering lessons in your area, a few lessons to check your mount/stance/gunfit and technique may do wonders.

And, here is comment, "beware the person who only shoots one gun" If you are changing between guns, even if they all fit you correctly, they print the pattern in a slightly different place. Stick with one, and you should improve.

Roger

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I, too, agree that your field guns will work just fine for skeet. I also agree that skeet or cylinder choke with 1 ounce of #9 shot is about perfect for skeet.

Assuming (and perhaps that's a big assumption :lol: ) that you know the proper stance, hold, and lead required for each station, you should try to shoot twice per week. Shoot 3 rounds of skeet each time. Concentrate on each shot as if it's the only shot you will be shooting that day. Hopefully, you will make the shot, but even if you miss it, don't dwell on it. Shift your focus to the next shot. Before you load the gun on each station, you should review mentally what is required to break the target(s) from that station. Be calm and confident. I know that is easier said than done, but sometimes you've got to fake it before you make it. :wink:

If you will follow this procedure faithfully for 3 months, you should be breaking about 23 per round by the end of 3 months.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:57 pm 
I think your scores will improve a bit if you switch to skeet chokes. I don't think the exact gun matters much if you do your part. Of course I can't break 23 either, so what do I know?

What I do know is that you need to pattern your gun and that improved cyl and modified are way too tight for skeet. Shoot a couple of patterns at 20 yards and measure the spread. It ought to be about 30" at 20 yards in 12 gauge for skeet. Lots of chokes that say "skeet" won't do it. I use skeet in the bottom barrel and cyl in the top. I shoot the bottom barrel only on the 3 middle stations and shoot it first on the doubles. I do not think many targets are getting through pattern with 8's, but I would like to blame it on that. I am pretty sure that when I shoot my fixed choke IC/mod guns I miss a few targets I would have broken with the more open setup.

My experience is that patterns tend to be tighter than the chokes are marked using target loads and fine shot. It is really hard to get them open enough in some guns.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:43 pm 
Field Grade

Yep, use your field gun. No two guns feel the same in your hands and if you shoot skeet with the gun you hunt with it can only help your field shooting.