CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best 3 inch shell for skeet shooting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:21 am 
Utility Grade

i was wondering what the best 3 inch shell is for skeet shooting at a good price..i m use to shooting 2 3/4" shells thru my mossy 500 and have just bought a 935 and i m looking for a nice shell to use

lmk

thanks

Post subject: Re: best 3 inch shell for skeet shooting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:29 am 
Presentation Grade

I can see no practical reason to use a 3" shell for skeet unless you just like the idea of getting beaten up???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If your gun only shoots 3" and 3.5" shells you might be out of luck.

However, try a stout target load: Winchester Super Sport or Remington Sporting Clays loads or some other 1 1/8 3 1/4 dram load and that may cycle your gun.

This would allow you to shoot informal skeet at some ranges--most places will limit you to 3 dram 1 1/8 or less loads.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:49 pm 
Crown Grade

None. I am a member at two clubs and we do not allow those sorts of loads to be fired. The clubs I visit on a regular basis all have signs telling you that this sort of load is not allowed. There is no practical reason to shoot those loads. With suburban sprawl being what it is most places it might be dangerous to shoot such loads.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Mossberg says not to fire 2.75 inch shells in the 935 because it might not cycle reliably, the way just about any 3.5 inch autoloader might. Shoot a good brand of 2.75 and keep the system clean and you shouldn't have problems.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:47 am 
Utility Grade

thanks guys

i m shooting at our local military bases shooting range and i just wanted to shoot some 3 1/2" shells thru it to break it in so i could possibly use 2 3/4" target loads thru it..i m just shooting to improve on aim not competition...i thought that there might be a 3" light load that would shoot well enough to cycle the gun and would be safe enough to shoot skeets....i guess i m going to just have to do some hands on training and ask my local dnr guy for help

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:28 am 
Presentation Grade

if you lived in england to use 3" shells for clay shooting you will have to morgage your house.to buy them

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:59 am 
Limited Edition

heli-seeker, just use the 2 3/4 and you should be fine. There is no need to use a bigger load, unless you like to throw your money away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:56 am 
Utility Grade

well guys i have shot some 3" shells to break in the gun (around 50 shells) little costly but heck its just money...

then i tried some cheap 2 3/4 inch taget loads and the gun was as good as a single shot shotgun...kind of what i was expecting..so i did some web searching and found that the mossberg 930 return spring was fairly cheap so i said what the heck and i ordered one...mean time while i was waiting on the spring to arrive i kept shooting the gun with no luck on the 2 3/4 inch shells...finally i received the spring and took the gun apart,while i had it a part i did a complete cleaning and was amazed how clean the gun still was...

as i m driving to the field where i shoot my gun i was thinking how crazy this idea was but what the heck...i took some really cheap walmart target shot loads and some "tom knapp" federal gold cartridges and had my fingers crossed that one of the two would cycle the gun..

well after the wait i loaded the gun up and was simply amazed after shooting 5 perfect rounds with the lighter walmart target loads...the gun performed perfectly shot after shot.....i guess i will have to wait until after this weekend to tell you guys how good it shoots clays because i was so focused on shooting the gun i forgot to take any clays with me...lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heli
My bet is Fiocchi White Rhino and Winchester AA Sporting Clays would cycle your gun. They are 1 1/8oz at 1300fps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:09 am 
Crown Grade

Walmart has some Winchester Super Speed Extra Game Loads at 1350fps for about 3.48 a box. Those will cycle your 935 every time. They might be behind the counter - not on the shelf.