CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Monitor" .410 Single Shot
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Just trying to find out more about a "Monitor" .410 single shot. I've been able to do enough research to know that it's a store-brand gun from Omaha, NE.

Who would have been the original manufacturer?

It's your standard break open style with hammer, and the trigger guard is not cast, it's a bent piece of strip steel screwed to the receiver. The top lever for opening turns both ways.

I know the value won't be much, but since it's a family gun that doesn't matter--just want to know more about it. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: "Monitor" .410 Single Shot
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:09 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Moniter was an H D Folsom house brand, most likely made by Crescent Firearms, unless it as proof marks, in which case it was made in Belgium.. Value is $35 to $125,depending on condition.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Well I probably not much help but, I have a Monitor brand Double Barrel 20 ga. Double set trigger Shotgun. It has a hallmark underneath in front of the trigger guard and behind the fore stock. It looks like a # sign. Thats it other than a 5100 stamped on the side below a set of pin rivits on the Breach. I too would like to know the story behind it. My father who is 86 give it to me. He said He got it from his Uncle when my dad was about 16 years old. So that puts the gun date around 1940's. If you have any more info, It would be appreciated. THanks for reading.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:32 am 
Crown Grade

Monitor. "Trade Brand Name" shotgun made by several makers for and sold by the Paxton & Galleger Company of Omaha,NB Makers include Crescent Fire Arms Company, Harrington & Richardson Arms Company, Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works and Stevens Arms & Tool Company (used on their Model 315 hammerless). Name was not a H & D Folsom brand name although the name was used by Crescent who was owned by Folsom. The name was used on both single and double barrels sold by Paxton & Galleger. As said value of either gun will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood. A prime condition example that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much as $125 while a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a moonshine vat string rod might bring as little as $10.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

120Proof--If you gun says 5100 on it then it is most likely a Springfield/Stevens SxS. Just read further down the page for more info posted on another thread.