CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta A303
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, Ive been doing some reading about my A303. It seems that the 390 is the one that came out with the stock adjusting shims. However, I received this shotgun from my uncle NIB, it had the shims, 3 chokes and is nicely engraved. I've yet to see a picture of one with the same engravings, or heard anything about an adjustable stock on an A303. Can anyone give me any info about this? What is this bad-boy worth? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Beretta A303
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The A303 manual doesn't mention "shim" anywhere.

Nice engraving - and certainly more elaborate than shown in the manual.

No guess on value!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for repling so quickly. I dug out my manual and on page 23,

n. Drop adjustment

"The Beretta automatic is packed with drops varying from 45 to 65mm, depending on models and circumstances..."

Then it goes on to tell you how to adjust it, and gives a little chart of the adjustments. Seems to be a bit of a rare bird?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Man, that seems like the best of all worlds. My friends who owned 303's never warmed to the 390's and 391's like the old 303. The only problem with them was that they didn't always like to cycle lighter loads. Lots of them had their gas ports bored out a bit. What barrel length is yours?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:02 am 
Utility Grade

It's got a 28" barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Okay, when I followed your directions I found paragraph "n" and there it was; Drop Adjustment...and I was doing a search for "shim".

Good Luck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:22 am 
Crown Grade

I've heard some great things about the old 303s. Do they have a steel receiver or alloy?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:30 am 
Crown Grade

The receivers are aluminum alloy. This is not inherently a bad thing. I will take an aluminum Beretta receiver for durability over a steel 1100 recevier every day of the week.

They do tend to be a little lighter so if you like a heavy gun, it's a downside.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:14 pm 
Crown Grade

bopper wrote:
The receivers are aluminum alloy. This is not inherently a bad thing. I will take an aluminum Beretta receiver for durability over a steel 1100 recevier every day of the week.

They do tend to be a little lighter so if you like a heavy gun, it's a downside.

Yep - it's definitely a personal preference thing. I'll pass on the 303s, and stick with my 1100s! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I myself like looks and feel of the Beretta better. I've only put about 200rds through this gun and have never had a problem. Anything from slugs to target loads, 2 3/4" & 3" I can feed it anything. I just don't use it enough, but thats gonna change this spring. Happy shooting.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Cool 303. Most had smooth sides with no engraving. Yours looks to me like a 302. They had deep and pretty eleborate engraving. Your gun is prabably an early 303 with 302 style engraving. Beretta did stuff like that back in the day.
As to value, it's like my wife says, what difference does it make because your not going to sell it any way.
Here in East Texas, depending on bbl length, it would bring around $600.00. The sporting clays shooters love 'em.

Clyde W.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hogeye56 wrote:
Your gun is prabably an early 303 with 302 style engraving.

It would be interesting to know what year the gun was made. Here is how you can find out: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=73492

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:17 pm 
Utility Grade

581 wrote:
Hi, Ive been doing some reading about my A303. It seems that the 390 is the one that came out with the stock adjusting shims. However, I received this shotgun from my uncle NIB, it had the shims, 3 chokes and is nicely engraved. I've yet to see a picture of one with the same engravings, or heard anything about an adjustable stock on an A303. Can anyone give me any info about this? What is this bad-boy worth? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:19 pm 
Utility Grade

does any body no how much this gun is worth

Post subject: re: Beretta A303
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:15 pm 
Limited Edition

I am a 303 fan, but the worth of this gun is dependant on a lot of things the owner has not divulged...things such as:

condition of the bluing; condition of the stock and forend; wide rib target barrel or narrow rib hunting barrel; length of barrel; fixed choke or mobil-chokes; # and constriction of chokes if so equipped; has the stock been shortened or is it factory length; has the barrel been altered by a gunsmith; any rust present anywhere; tight or loose forend rivet; hand engraving on the receiver or machine roll-engraving...

I am sure there are other factors, but these come to mind.

Off hand, I would guess this is an early 303 hunting model with factory machine roll-engraving on the receiver, 28 inch mobil choke barrel (3 chokes - IC, Mod and Full) with narrow rib...probably with 96% to 98% bluing with no rust and good bore. Wood is average plain grade.

I would say the gun is worth between $425 to $500 US dollars.

It is certainly worth more in it's sentimental value, due to it being passed from one family member to another than in any other setting...

I say keep it and shoot it as a cherished heirloom and when you are ready, pass it down to the next member of your family that shows an appreciation for the shooting and hunting sports.

Long live and hail the 303, the best looking semi Beretta ever birthed.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree that the 302 and 303 are much nicer looking than the later models, which are really just improved versions of the AL-1/302/303 gas system. Regarding the shell ejection problem, these are like 1100s and many other early gas autos, they had magnum versions and standard versions. Later gas compensation "improvements" weren't always successful and it would've probably been better to just do what the manufacturer suggested which was to have a 3" barrel for heavy loads and a 2-3/4" barrel for target shooting. My brother bought a 303 NIB in the 1980s and it came with three shims that could be placed between the receiver and buttstock to adjust the drop at heel. Italian guns are always too straight for American shooters because their shooting style advocates holding point of aim under the target.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

My A303 has the same engraveing and stocks as yours does but I haven't been able to figure out what year it was manufactured though admittedly, I haven't tried very hard either.
I purchased mine used about 10 years ago and had to pay $550 for it. It seemed like a lot at the time but the gun was used very little and looked like it was brand new. I gave the guy his money and have never regretted the purchase since! It's a great shooter with light recoil. It digests any ammo I've put through it although I've never tried 3/4 ounce loads. It's as reliable as any auto loader I've seen and some guys have reported putting over 250,000 rounds through them! Heck, cheap o/u's costing the same won't do that! Every time I take that gun to the range I come home wondering why I usually shoot o/u's that cost thousands more!
This is one gun in my safe that isn't for sale, period!

I didn't get a manual with it but the design of the stock is very similar to the 391. If I had some shims and steel washers with the offset holes, it would adjust the same way the 391 does. The steel washers are easy to make but the shims.....their a little more difficult. Dosn't matter, the gun fits me anyway!

My advice............don't sell it.

Post subject: Re: re: Beretta A303
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Stewart wrote:
I agree that the 302 and 303 are much nicer looking than the later models, which are really just improved versions of the AL-1/302/303 gas system. Regarding the shell ejection problem, these are like 1100s and many other early gas autos, they had magnum versions and standard versions. Later gas compensation "improvements" weren't always successful and it would've probably been better to just do what the manufacturer suggested which was to have a 3" barrel for heavy loads and a 2-3/4" barrel for target shooting. My brother bought a 303 NIB in the 1980s and it came with three shims that could be placed between the receiver and buttstock to adjust the drop at heel. Italian guns are always too straight for American shooters because their shooting style advocates holding point of aim under the target.

I'm a bit confused, can you define "too straight" for me.
If Italian guns are designed to be pointed under the target, then they must be regulated to hit high, sort of like a trap gun. I thought this would be defined as "shooting high".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:22 am 
Limited Edition

Very nice gun! I have an AL-2 from '72 and have been told it is very similar to the 303. I do intend to have my receiver reblued at some point in time. It being an alloy peice also; I wonder what that will cost me?
BB

:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hogeye56 wrote:
Cool 303. Most had smooth sides with no engraving. Yours looks to me like a 302. They had deep and pretty eleborate engraving. Your gun is prabably an early 303 with 302 style engraving. Beretta did stuff like that back in the day.
As to value, it's like my wife says, what difference does it make because your not going to sell it any way.
Here in East Texas, depending on bbl length, it would bring around $600.00. The sporting clays shooters love 'em.

Clyde W.

Yep, sure looks like 302 engraving. Always thought they were nice looking, and seemed to be just as good as the 303's, which in my mind were the best gun Beretta ever made.

I have two 303's made in 1986 and 1987, neither have engraving or shims. The 302 went in the first divorce.

Clyde