CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping Guns - Need FFL or Not ?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:32 am 
Utility Grade

Need help on rules on shipping guns. Gun is in NC and I live in IL. Do I need to ship from NC to IL via FFL or Can I ship direct? I understand warranty work on shotguns can be shipped by private party to repair service . Whats the real answer ?

Post subject: Re: Shipping Guns - Need FFL or Not ?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:35 am 
Diamond Grade

If the gun is coming to you from another state then it must be received by an FFL. If the gun is being sent from you to an out of state buyer then you can legally ship directly to an FFL. My FFL told me they can receive guns from anyone, just not give them to anyone. I don't know about warranty work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:36 am 
Tournament Grade

You will need an FFL holder on your end as the receiving party. The FFL holder will have to send the individual shipping the gun (NC) a copy of the FFL to attach to the package for shipping. Typically FFL holders will charge a transfer fee for doing this and you will have to fill out paperwork just as if you bought the gun from a dealer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:43 am 
Utility Grade

You can ship all parts direct except the reciever cant you?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

imwllc wrote:
You can ship all parts direct except the reciever cant you?

Yes. The receiver is a "firearm". The other parts are not.

You can ship a firearm directly to a gunsmith for repair or modification because gunsmiths have FFL's. The gunsmith can ship your gun directly back to you, because there is no change of ownership involved in the transaction. If the gun (or its receiver) has to be exchanged for a different one, I'm not sure, but I think it has to be shipped to your FFL so he can do the NICS check on it and get you to sign the forms.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First off who owns this gun?

If it is yours already, you can ship it to yourself. If you are buying it from someone out of state, you need to have it shipped to an FFL dealer in your state for transfer. If it is yours being repaired, a smith can ship it back to you without going through an FFL.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:55 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm a dealer and this is all good advise.
I would just add one thing to clear up any confusion.
The FFL that would be needed to ship a gun, is not attached to the package, it is kept by the shipping dealer to show the disposition of the gun that was formerly on his books. He either needs a form 4473 to show the sale of the gun to a customer, or an FFL to show the disposition of the gun to another dealer. In fact the Post Office and most other shippers DON'T want any outward evidence that the package contains a weapon.
That's not to say that it isn't a good idea to include a copy with the gun, should the package be searched, but it's not necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:07 pm 
Limited Edition

one more thing from my past experiance just last week. the person sending the firearm to the ffl holder should send a photo copy of their drivers liscens so the ffl holder can log the firearm in for transfer. the guy that sent me my action forgot to include it with the action so before my ffl holder could log it in and release it to me i had to have the guy fax a copy to my ffl holder. just a small headach you don't need if you don't have to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Location: Tom Green, Runnels, Coke and other counties out here
Don't forget your FOID card to even TOUCH the gun once it reaches Ill.