CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Identifying Beretta Choke Tube Types
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

I just received from Beretta several extended 12ga Mobilchoke tubes made by MDS. They are a supplier to Beretta and manufacture several of the semi-auto magazines for guns such as the 92/96 series. I have several of their mags but this was the first I knew of them making choke tubes. They look different from most other extended tubes with raised rings on the extended portion. They are black and available only in 12ga Mobilchoke configuration but at $14 per choke tube they were hard to resist. I bought two Skeet chokes and a Lt Mod. They are currently out of IC for some reason. Check them out on the Beretta site. If they shoot as good as they look I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I guess I'm lame but.......... Can the xtrema2 use both the Opltima Plus and the Optima choke tubes? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:18 am 
Tournament Grade

Does Pattern Master make chokes for the Xtrema2? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am confused. I bought a Al 391 Urika, that on the bottom forend says Optima. The manual says it is Mobil chokes, the tubes that come with the gun say SP Optima,??? :(

They look like the ones in the middle pic. I have Cy, IC, M, IM and Full. I am looking to get a skeet choke and looked at the ones at Cabellas. I'm even more confused. :roll:

Was Beretta just using old manuals to throw in with the gun?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

FormerTankSarge wrote:
I am confused. I bought a Al 391 Urika, that on the bottom forend says Optima. The manual says it is Mobil chokes, the tubes that come with the gun say SP Optima,??? :(

They look like the ones in the middle pic. I have Cy, IC, M, IM and Full. I am looking to get a skeet choke and looked at the ones at Cabellas. I'm even more confused. :roll:

Was Beretta just using old manuals to throw in with the gun?

I haven't read the manual in awhile but I'm sure they use the same manual for both 12 and 20Ga. The 20 Ga guns continue to use Mobilchoke maybe that has to do with your confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got home and double checked my choke tubes. They say Optima Plus, don't know why the book says otherwise, go figure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:57 pm 
Utility Grade

I have 3 choke tubes with numbers only 0, 2, and 4, Can anyone identify what choke restriction goes with the numbers?
Thanks!
John Roberts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John, those are apparently not Beretta factory choke tubes, they are aftermarket tubes. I don't know what brand they are or what code the manufacturer uses. The only way you will find out for sure what they are is to measure them and the bore of the gun with an accurate bore micrometer.

Post subject: Re: re: Identifying Beretta Choke Tube Types
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

catdaddy wrote:
I am assuming I have the Mobil Chokes because of the size,2", but what does the PB stamped on it stand for? These came with my Beretta Pintail.

Hey Seamus! You answered this guy's question above with PB standing for P. Beretta, back more than a year ago.

Are you sure that it, PB doesn't stand for in this case, lead?

I see Ber/Ben chokes marked as "Not for Steel", and "PB", which is the standard sign for lead.

And I am sure that I have seen markings on the very same choke, such as "steel-full/PB-modified", (which means that the constriction is full for steel, or modified for lead), but it may not have been on Ber/Bens.

Or does Beretta have still another "confusion factor", besides names, threads and sizes, on their chokes here?

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:52 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for posting this explanation of the Beretta chokes. Even after reading this very good explanation I am still a little confused. I figure if I read it a few more times I'll start to understand this convoluted mess.
Baretta coudn't have made this more confusing if they had tried.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Anyone needing Beretta Mobilchokes in 12 ga should go to www.cdnnsports.com. They have Beretta factory extended Mobilchoke tubes for $12.99 and Beretta flush Mobilchoke tubes for $9.99. I checked the price on the flush tubes at my dealer yesterday, $29.99.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:48 am 
Limited Edition

The AL391 Urika 2, 12 ga, Sporting model with the extended chokes. Are these chokes, Optima Plus or Optima. Hopefully not a dump question.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

skeet1958 wrote:
The AL391 Urika 2, 12 ga, Sporting model with the extended chokes. Are these chokes, Optima Plus or Optima. Hopefully not a dump question.

Depending on maybe how old it is, they most likely are Optima. (The Plus here is a confusion factor, since it relates to the older, smaller bore size, actually the same as the Mobil in diameter.)

And now they have came out with another new model, the Optima HP, (for supposedly high performance.) The newer UGB's and the new A400 both take the new HP. (I don't know if they have started producing that set up in the 391 sporting line or not, as yet.)

NRA Benefactor

Post subject: Re: re: Identifying Beretta Choke Tube Types
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
PB is the manufacturer, Pietro Beretta.

Surely Pb is the chemical abbreviation for lead and is what the tubes are proofed for

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:28 am 
Utility Grade

I have a mobil choked o/u and the chokes are marked with 3 and four small notches what chokes are these all help appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:44 am 
Diamond Grade

Others can correct me but I believe 4 notches are Improved cylinder, three are Modified and one notch is Full. If you clean the choke off and look carefully with a magnifying glass, it will usually have printed on the shaft of the tube what the choke is. Newer Beretta chokes will give you two descriptions, one if using lead shot and another if using steel shot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Apparently you didn't see the answer to this on the first page so, I'll post the link again for you:
http://berettausa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ ... p_faqid=41

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rastoff wrote:
Apparently you didn't see the answer to this on the first page so, I'll post the link again for you:
http://berettausa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ ... p_faqid=41

He was asking what the notches meant. Is there anything in that long description of the various Beretta choke systems that explains the notches? If so, I missed it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, there most certainly is. That may seem like a long description to you, but it is comprehensive.

Down toward the bottom you will find a table that describes every type of choke identification Beretta has ever used to mark their chokes. I understand that this is a stretch, but, under the collum headed "Serrations" is the information you seek.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks , Rastoff. I guess by the time I got to the bottom of that, I was too tired to catch it. Serrations=Notches. Serations=Notches. Got it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next