CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Convert Remington 1100 Synthetic Youth 20 ga. to full size?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey folks, I wonder if this is possible or advisable?

My son has a rather mint 1100 Youth synthetic 20 ga. that is just too short for him now. Is it possible, and if so would it be cost effective, to exchange the shorter butt-stock with a full size? Any ideas how much a full size synthetic butt-stock would cost for this gun - new or used? How about doing it in wood instead - new butt-stock and fore-end in Remington wood - new or used?

I'd love to change out both pieces with some nice Remington wood that would properly fit for under $100 - is that possible you think? Any advise where to look for those pieces across the Internet for instance?

Sure would be nice to put the 1100 20 ga. to use as a full size/non-youth gun...

Post subject: Re: Convert Remington 1100 Synthetic Youth 20 ga. to full si
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Remington will charge a lot. Try eBay There are a lot of them out there. Do you know if it is the LT model or full size? Check to make sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would be shocked if you found the wood for under $100. But you should be able to get a new aftermarket stock from Brownell's (once again, probably not for $100, but go to their website and see). As said earlier, look on ebay. When you find one, buy it, then sell the youth stock on ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Another place to try are the fun-shows. I have seen a lot of used wood there. You may have to refinish, but...
Post that you are looking for a used 1100 stock in the tactical forum as those guys are always modifying their weapons and someone may have one for sale. Mostly 870's but occasionally someone does an 1100, you might get lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for this info guys. After looking through Ebay and the gun auctions I think I'll find something that will work for me at a decent price. I think just so I don't go overboard with this idea I'll stick to looking for a full size synthetic stock only to replace the youth size stock.

Nick_PCTEK, thanks for asking about the full size or LT-20. It's a LT-20 - with the youth 13" LOP. Has a 28" vent rib barrel with removable chokes. I take it I must look for a LT-20 style stock? No other Remington 20ga stocks will work, like LW (light weight?)? Do barrels work the same way? Rather confusing this LT-20 style gun, compared to a non LT-20 style? Am I learning if it's LT to begin with, ya gotta' stay with LT parts? Or if it's got an LT style receiver you've got to use LT style components with it? I need a brief education! :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Nortonics:
Yes, the LT is a smaller framed 20GA version of the original full size 12ga framed 20ga gun. Now that's confusing....

Yes you have to stick with what you have in parts compatability. LW and LT are the same. They both stand for Light Weight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The lt-20 is on a scaled down receiver ( a 28 ga receiver I think). The regular older 20 ga. was built on a 12 ga. frame so it can use a full size butt stock. The Lt-20 and Lw-20 stock could interchange.

The barrels of the full size 20 do not interchange with the Lt-20 and the LW-20 barrels dont interchange either.
12 ga. parts wont work on the LT and the availability of stocks on the aftermarket will be much less than a 12 ga.

I bought a brand new walnut wood LT-20 set from a guy who was selling some other stocks on on Gunbroker for 100.00 a couple of years ago. If you are not in a hurry you can sometimes get lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Looks like you can get a walnut set here for about 140.00

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp? ... =0860z1100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought the synthetic butt stock direct from remington $74.35 delivered to my doormy nephew now has a full size gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nortonics wrote:
Hey folks, I wonder if this is possible or advisable?

My son has a rather mint 1100 Youth synthetic 20 ga. that is just too short for him now. Is it possible, and if so would it be cost effective, to exchange the shorter butt-stock with a full size? Any ideas how much a full size synthetic butt-stock would cost for this gun - new or used? How about doing it in wood instead - new butt-stock and fore-end in Remington wood - new or used?

I'd love to change out both pieces with some nice Remington wood that would properly fit for under $100 - is that possible you think? Any advise where to look for those pieces across the Internet for instance?

Sure would be nice to put the 1100 20 ga. to use as a full size/non-youth gun...

Sure, this shouldn't be a problem at all. There are plenty of places to get a stock set from starting about about $75. You'll still have the short barrel though and a barrel will cost you at least $125. My suggestion would be to either look around on e-bay or at local gunshops and gunshows for the full sized parts. Just be certain to get stocks and barrels for the 20ga 1100 LT and and not either the 20ga 1100 LW or 20ga 1100 standard weight.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks a bunch for this info guys - especially your explanation Rem396 and John3200. I think you two guys spell out exactly the info I was looking for. I tried to figure this out about a year ago and gave up on the idea temporarily as it was driving me crazy trying to figure out the exact components that could drop-fit into this receiver. Your explanation of the receiver sizes really helped me to understand this - now I understand the ads when they differentiate between 'normal/regular' and 'LT-20' or '20LW' in reference to stocks and forends.

And John, I dunno' why, but when I read your post with reference to the shorter barrel and possibly wanting to go to a longer barrel I thought to myself 'well, I've already got a 28" barrel which is pretty normal, or do I?' Dang it anyways! How did I transpose that thought in my mind?! We've got a 21" barrel... :cry: So yes, you're right, I'd want to probably replace that too.

And yes, I'm finding it very hard to not only find the stock and/or forend used. So now I'm starting to rethink this whole idea as I'm just not so sure it really makes financial sense to drop that kind of dough into this particular gun. I was no cheap gun to begin with (yet fair for the quality), and I will definitely say it's a beautiful machine for what it's intended for, but at $200+ more in parts I'm thinking it might just be a better idea to sell it as is and use all the money for/toward something that would be an overall better choice.

I'll think this over for a bit yet - perhaps I'll run across that super bargain on LT-20 pars in the next week or two ya know? Uh-huh, right... :wink:

Thanks again guys - much appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Just picked up a full size remington 1100 with parkerized finish and synthetic stock at local gander mtn.....it was marked as a close out price $ 419.95 + tax.....