CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens model 39 410 guage tube feed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi I just came across this site and I hope you can help.
I have an old tube feed bolt action shotgun that I need to find any information on that I can.On the barrel it says exactly the following:

J. STEVENS ARMS COMPANY MODEL
CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. USA -39-
410 BORE PROOF TESTED

This gun has no serial number nor does it have any safety of any kind on it and I do not see where there ever was one.
I have looked in the gun parts corp book and it is not a model 39A. I also looked in the modern blue book and the standard catalog of firearms and cannot find it there either. This one has me stumped!!! I need a bolt assembly and possibly a stock if anybody knows if any of these parts can be purchased. I thank all replies in advance and ANY information is appreciated. Thanks
remington6977

Post subject: Re: Stevens model 39 410 guage tube feed
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:47 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Does your gun have a black tipped forend and a little,sort of,a knob on the front end of the magazine tube? Is the stock fixed to the barrel by a screw under the foreward part of the stock? Does the magazine tube have a band that holds it to the abrrel out in front of the stock? If so, look carefully at the model number again and see if that 3 may be a 5. There was a Stevens Model 59A that resembled the gun I described above. It was made from 1937 until the 1960's and was a tube fed .410 with no safety.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:28 am 
Utility Grade

Hi first of all I want to thank you for your reply. This gun has a really old looking stock with no forend tip. I have a 20 guage bolt action like that so I know what you are talking about. Secondly the number is definately a 39 with no letter prefix after it. There is a barrel band holding the two parts together (barrel and magazine tube) about six inches out from the end of the stock. The whole action assembly is held in by one large knurled takedown screw on the bottom of the stock.Lastly the magazine tube has a knurled metal tip the same size as the tube itself.
I really do appreciate the help and If you would like to see a pic or two just tell me how to post them on this site or I could email them to you. Thanks again and have a good day.
Sincerely
remington6977

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:15 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Your gun sounds like the M59 without the black end cap. Post a pic in the Photo area under Shotguns. I PMed you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi I posted the pics and upon closer inspection I do now believe that there is a black forend painted tip. The previous owner had used some form of old black cloth tape that I thought had discolored the sock. I still want you to notice however that this is a model-39- as is evident in the pic. I need a bolt assembly and stock, so if you know what models will interchange I would most greatly appreciate that info. Thanks again for all your effort.
remington6977

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:18 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

After looking at your pictures, it seems that your gun is the same as a M59. The only explanation that I can come up with is that it was an earlier model. Stevens and Savage changed model numbers now and then in those days. Try Numrich for exploded views,parts and parts lists.

Wahl's Gun Trader's Guide from the late '50s and 60's have illustrations of the M59.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm sure your gun is a model 39. A friend of mine has one and they are rare. He is interested in selling it if you are still looking. It has a good stock and a good bolt. Really nothing wrong with his gun but you could use yours for a parts gun for this one. If you are interested I will find out what he wants for it.