CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: winchester supreme sporting
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:25 pm 
Utility Grade

i bought a used winchester supreme sporting two years ago and while surfing an the net i've noticed that my gun has no small holes at the sides of the two barrels as it is shown in pictures. I'd like to know some informations of my supreme, is my supreme oldest editions. what are those small holes for?

thanks

Post subject: Re: winchester supreme sporting
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:01 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Welcome to ShotgunWorld, and thanks for registering!

It sounds like you have the older "Supreme" model. In 2003 they added "Select" to the name, lightened the barrels, and ported them. The holes you see are the ports. The theory is that it they are supposed to reduce recoil and muzzle rise by venting gasses upwards and to the rear. There is some debate as to the effectiveness of porting. I'm with the more conservative side of the debate that says it doesn't really accomplish much except making the gun louder to those standing beside the shooter.

FWIW, I have the newer model with the ports. It's a fine gun.

-- Sam

P.S. If you do a search you'll find a fair amount of info on the gun on this site.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

And, as you will also find on this forum, there are always different opinions. I happen to be of the school where it does reduce barrel "jump" for that second quick shot.

Welcome and understand that most shotgunners have differing opinion in some areas. That is why there are so many different shotguns configured in different ways.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:17 am 
Tournament Grade

Winchester Supreme Sporting. The small holes are porting would be my guess, which is what SamL said (Unless you are talking about some other holes). However the non-Select Supreme Sportings were ported as well. I own one, my brother has one, and a few others I shoot with have them. So why is your gun odd? I would guess that you have a Winchester Supreme Field, NOT Sporting. Check the gun on that one. If I am wrong, then I would argue you got one of the very early ones and they didn't have porting yet. But to my knowledge ALL Supreme Sportings are ported.