CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens 124C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:19 am 
Presentation Grade

Anyone ever seen a Stevens 124C? A buddy gave me one of these (rust mess) and it is very odd. Looks to be a "bolt" action shotgun. Straight pull bolt that is enclosed in the reciever. When the bolt is operated forward, the bolt handle locks in place right to left to hold the round in the chamber. Once fired (or release is pressed) the bolt handle can then be moved back to the right hand position and the bolt pulled back to eject the round and then pick up the next round. It also has a plastic stock. Stock removal is via bolt in the stock (standard) but to access the stock bolt there is a large screw cap (about the size of a quarter) in the butt plate. Has an aluminum trigger group. Barrel is plain but has a factory PolyChoke. Right now it is in parts in my gun room as I clean it up and see if I can bring it back to life. Needs an extractor and the safety is missing. Some mild rust on the exterior of the barrel and reciever.

Anyone know when these where built?

APEXDUCK

Post subject: Re: Stevens 124C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:43 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

1949-1955. Not a great success.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:46 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

The Stevens Model 124 was made from 1947 until 1952. That "plastic" stock was known as a Tenite stock. Stevens used it on several of their guns. The M124 was not very popular and I have not seen one for many years. The "C" after the Model number denotes a factory installed choke. This was usually a Savage Super Choke but, as with your gun, some Poly-Chokes were used.

This is a fairly rare gun but there is almost no collector interest in the M124. A very minty one might bring $175 to $200 to an interested party.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks guys. As soon as I have the gun cleaned up back together, I'll post some pictures. I guess Stevens was ahead of it's time with this gun. Based on a synthetic stock and an aluminum trigger group and an adjustable choke tube , one would think you are looking at a current production 12 ga. , that is until you see this beast. Not very attractive gun and the funny bolt action design makes it quite an oddity. I'm sure that is why it never sold well, Just no advantage over existing pump and bolt gun designs. At first I thought it was a semi auto that was broke and the more I tinkered with it the more I could see it is a "bolt" action.

If anyone has any knowledge on how to remove the bolt handle so I can remove the bolt let me know. The only thing I can see is a single pin that looks to hold the firing pin in place. The bolt acts as a block for the firing pin until it is locked into position, so I would assume somehow it all should come apart , but driving out the retaining pin did not release either the bolt or the firing pin, but it may just be crud keeping it from coming apart.

Thanks again for the information

APEXDUCK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Stevens 12 ga shotgun model 124C and need a stock need help in finding one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

riverwader wrote:
I have a Stevens 12 ga shotgun model 124C and need a stock need help in finding one.

Then start your very own posting with an appropriate title and information.

Very few people are going to wade down to see your question has nothing to do with this posting!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:27 pm 
Utility Grade

www.Boydsgunstocks.com

or Numrich Gun Parts Corp