CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boito 12 ga. O/U Value
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I need some help with this one! I am looking to purchase this gun, but I feel the seller is asking too much. This gun is rated "Good" (NRA Rating) by the seller. I asked the seller what is the blueing percent, and the reply was 95%. I then asked why the "Good" rating instead of "Excelent". He's reply to me was he likes to rate low so buyers receive something better than what they thought they bought. I could understand this, but in one of the pictures the barrel next to the receiver looks rusted. Last story short, he's asking $300 for this. If you need to see the picture you can PM me and I direct you to where they are. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Boito 12 ga. O/U Value
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:15 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I don't think there was ever a Boito shippe to this country worth $300, new or used. I would shop around.. The Boito sounds like trouble.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't mind trying to negotiate price. I just need to get as much as ammo as possible to negotiate with. Thanks for the feedback, though.

Anyone else with more knowledge about these, can you elaberate more on this shotgun?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sigs-

Do a search on this site and elsewhere on the internet... the Boito is generally regarded as being pretty bad. If that's the upper limit of what you are able to spend, I'd look for a pump gun or well used autos... there are very few decent O/U's that can be obtained in that price range, and you are usually buying someone elses headache.

There are exceptions to that... the Marlin Ranger, Stevens 311, etc... but all are older, and sourcing parts can be a bit tricky.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:44 pm 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
Sigs-

Do a search on this site and elsewhere on the internet... the Boito is generally regarded as being pretty bad. If that's the upper limit of what you are able to spend, I'd look for a pump gun or well used autos... there are very few decent O/U's that can be obtained in that price range, and you are usually buying someone elses headache.

There are exceptions to that... the Marlin Ranger, Stevens 311, etc... but all are older, and sourcing parts can be a bit tricky.

Yes, this is the upper limit I'm able to spend. I have a Mossberg 9200 semi-auto already (paid $250) for it and have never had any problems with it. I was just looking for a cheap O/U to use on the trap range. I'm tired of picking up my shells off the ground after each round. I also want to use this to introduce my wife to the shotgunning world.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In that case, I'd look for a Stevens 311 (which is a SxS), the Marlin Ranger, the Savage O/U's (none of the model #'s come to mind at the moment).

Given that you want to introduce your wife, you may want to consider a sub gauge... you don't want to beat her up with recoil and turn her off to the hobby.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:39 pm 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
In that case, I'd look for a Stevens 311 (which is a SxS), the Marlin Ranger, the Savage O/U's (none of the model #'s come to mind at the moment).

Given that you want to introduce your wife, you may want to consider a sub gauge... you don't want to beat her up with recoil and turn her off to the hobby.

Thanks for the feedback...I will look into these other models that you speak of.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had a Bioto O/U years ago. First, $300 is way too much. I've seen these guns in excellent condition selling in the $175-$200 range. Secondly, if some one offered to give me one along with a box of shells I'd keep the box of shells and give the gun back. Seriously, they have to be one of the worst doubleguns ever made. A lot of problems with poor quality metals, soft firing pins etc..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:15 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I,too, once owned a Boito. It was under the back seat of a wrecked car at my buddy's father's wrecking yard. Soft metal,poor fit and finish were obvious but I did fire the gun for about 20 shells and then it started misfiring and doubling. Then it stopped going bang at all. Never got it fixed. It could be around here somewhere??

Now,don't get me wrong, I am not BASHING the Boito but mine was really worthless. In my opinion, your money could be better spent on another gun but,hey,what do I know? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you ShotgunT and A5guy for your feedback. I am reconsidering this purchase. Your opinions and personal experiences expressed were invaluable to me in this decision. That's why I came back to these message boards, for my second shotgun purchase. Thanks again.[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Boito O/U 12 ga. In my opinion, You can do alot better for alot less. I wouldn't recommend a Boito to anybody.
Rough, crude, poor fit and finish and that's putting it mildly.
The best thing K-Mart ever did was quit importing them.