CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to remove grease from new gun barrel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:07 am 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone. I have just received a new a391 from the factory. Barrel is covered with oil and/or grease. Could anybody instruct me on how best to remove the stuff? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: How to remove grease from new gun barrel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:27 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Hoppe's 9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:28 am 
Tournament Grade

Wipe it down with a little hoppes #9, or some shooters choice, and run a patch or two of the same down the barrel, just like you are cleaning it after using it.
Scott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:46 pm 
Field Grade

I used WD40 on and inside my 391 barrel when I first got it and followed it up with Triflow or Breakfree. Hoppes should do the same job.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:14 pm 
Crown Grade

I like gun scrubber but any solvent will do, followed by a re-oiling with rem-oil or break-free. 8)
:idea: a tooth brush helps to get the crud out of the tough spots. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber cuts any oil or grease. I just used it to clean a new o/u I bought: similar buildup of shipping oil, which had attracted lots of dirt, cardboard fiber, and metal filings. Gun Scrubber blasted it clean. Just make sure to re-lube with a good quality oil after you use it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Spend some time with her and a soft cloth, some remoil or hoppes and get to know her. Steer clear of the WD 40, don't wanna start bad habits. Just basicaly make all the factory goo go bye bye and clean like you just got back from a day of shooting at the range.
Have fun!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:41 pm 
Crown Grade

All of the above work fine. After all, what is on there is basically an oil/grease.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I tried a little experiment with WD-40 on the gas ring of my Remington. That gas ring gets all the junk on it. Well I put the ring in a small container and covered it with WD-40 and let it soak for an hour. Scrubbed it with a toothbrush - hardley touched the crud on the ring. I soaked a second gas ring with Hopps for an hour and brushed it like the first. Came out a lot cleaner. Both rings had 100 rounds fired with them on my gun, same ammo was used. I don't think the WD-40 really does a good job of cleaning.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Nick_PCTEK wrote:
I tried a little experiment with WD-40 on the gas ring of my Remington. That gas ring gets all the junk on it. Well I put the ring in a small container and covered it with WD-40 and let it soak for an hour. Scrubbed it with a toothbrush - hardley touched the crud on the ring. I soaked a second gas ring with Hopps for an hour and brushed it like the first. Came out a lot cleaner. Both rings had 100 rounds fired with them on my gun, same ammo was used. I don't think the WD-40 really does a good job of cleaning.

Being that WD-40 is a petroleum product it would work well on disolving another petroleum product but it doesn't work so well on other things. Hoppes or some other product designed for powder would work better. I like WD-40 on the outside of guns esp. after shooting in the rain of if it gets lots of moisture condensation.

That's going to leave a mark!!