CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strange gun oil
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:49 am 
Diamond Grade

I am posting this for no particular reason, I just think it's interesting. 25 years ago my main shooting interest was competitive black powder. I always did enjoy finding out how the REAL old shooters did the things they did. Along with the black powder,came the problems associated with it...RUST and corrosion from Hell. My mentor into this realm gave me something to remedy surface and bore corrosion. 2 small plastic bottles containing a cloudy milky white gel/liquid. Just a small dot on a cleaning patch was all it took to wipe down the entire surface of a TC Renegade. Another dot on a patch would cover the entire bore. It left very little residue and had a reasonably pleasant smell. I have had guns stored for YEARS that show NO signs of ANY rust, either surface or bore. I hope by now you would want to know what this miracle substance is. BEAR GREASE......I only use the little I have left on my black powder guns and my Shiloh Sharps...I don't know what I'll do when the last of what I have is gone. My buddy said he got it from a friend of his up north somewhere who rendered the bear grease down himself. If you can find any of it, try it! Like I said , I just find it interesting......Jack

Post subject: Re: Strange gun oil
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:29 am 
Presentation Grade

i'd guess crisco

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

crazyhair wrote:
i'd guess crisco

Yup.

Bear grease is pretty rare stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It may also have been a water soluable oil called "Moose Milk".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:19 am 
Presentation Grade

Bear grease is available thru
House of Laurila
PO Box 561
Farmington Hills, MI

It's imported from Finland. 100% pure bear grease.
It comes in a 4oz can similar to boot polish. price tag on the can I'm looking at says $1.98. It's probally 3-4 yrs old. I've been using this stuff for years. Great waterproofing for boots, and leather dressing. It's a perfect "natural" lube. The best for caplock revolvers.

Here's a link for the same stuff. Only thing, my can says 100% pure bear grease. Here they're talking about a mix. There's a little difference in the can display too. Hope it helps out guys.

http://workingperson.com/products/85_10 ... ofing.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here is a link to the stuff from Finland. I have used it on leather, never on a firearm though.
http://www.storesonline.com/site/458256/product/BG-1000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

fiftystr8 wrote:
Here is a link to the stuff from Finland. I have used it on leather, never on a firearm though.
http://www.storesonline.com/site/458256/product/BG-1000

That's the stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hey guys, Nope, I checked it out, this stuff is the genuine article. Bear grease. The man my old friend got it from was from the northern Mich. area and when he did harvest a bear part of the processing was the rendering of the fat to obtain the grease. He indicated that this was one of the prefered lubricants and preservatives of the old mountain men. When he was alive he would send my friend 4-5 little bottles when he had them. I got my 2 little bottles about 25 years ago. It is not Crisco or "Moosemilk".....Jack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I watched my guides wife render the fat from one of my bears, when I was in Alberta a decade ago, sure looked like a lot of work for a little grease!! She was going to use it for cooking!!

I do have one can of sperm whale oil that I use to lube my fishing reels once in a while, and I have used a little on guns, but I hate to use it too much, because when it's gone, I'm thinking I'll never find any more. :)