CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Model 12
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:33 am 
Diamond Grade

What are your opinions on the re-makes of the Win model 12 by Browning?

What are the guns bringing in your area of the country

I picked up a nice 28ga

Thanks, Chuck

Post subject: Re: Browning Model 12
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:09 am 
Crown Grade

Good morning Jiganator: Well the Browning/Winchester Md 12s that were made in Japan were/are good guns. they made a few internal design changes, larger hammer face, trigger disconnect, (have to release the trigger and pull again after cycling).

Small Dealer cost from a distributor back in the late 80s and early 90s when they came out was $495-$499. That's what I paid for my Browning 28ga. and "Winchester" 20ga.

The difference between them, the Brownings came with a Modified chocke, (20 and 28 ga) The winchester 20ga. came with an Imp/Cyl choke.

I bought the 28ga. Browning simply because I'd rather take a $500 dollar gun into the field than a $3500 plus gun into the field.

As far as price goes, if you find one still new in the box Grade I's are going for $500-$750. Grade IV seem to go for $1000-$1400. Used ones still command around $500 plus in 28 ga. I've seen a couple sell in the high $400s but you could definately see the wear on them.

I don't think you could go wrong, in a 28ga pump Md 12 the design prooved itself a long time ago!!

Regards Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Now take this with a grain of salt, as I’ve no source on this. It’s just a nugget I got from an old gunsmith during casual conversation.

When these “new” M-12’s were made, I’m told that a lot of the tooling used to make these guns was old and more than a bit worn. It wasn’t like all new tooling was put in place to make this limited run of guns. To this end, I’m told the tolerances may not be the greatest.

Price….as above a good used gun with little wear showing is bringing $550-700 on the shelves I’ve seen.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello nastymcnarf: well I'll have to disagree with your "old gunsmith". the pre-64 Md 12s were machined using conventional machines and high speed steel cutters. The Japanese Md 12's were machined using CNC machines, (computer controlled) and carbide cutters. Definately a more accurate controlled machining process that lead to tighter tolerances!!

Winchester had disposed of the "tooling" used to make Model 12's long before the Japanese made them. The CNC machining process did away with the vast majoriy of of specialized tooling that was needed to machine the parts back on the old conventional machines.

Obvisouly the bluing isn't the same, I think the wood grading and finish is poorer on the Japanese guns vs the originals of the same grade. But that's just my opinion.

Regards Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:57 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

If anyone is looking for a 20ga Japanese M12 with tubes, PM me.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:31 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I've got the 20, 28, and a Model 42. Compared to the original Model 12s from Winchester, and I've got a few of them too, they are very good examples of the gunmakers art. Mechanicaly they MAY actually be better guns than the Winchesters from pre '64? I really haven't used mine enough to wear the blue or the wood so I can't really talk about that. I found the wood grade and the fit and finish to be superior to any of my original Model 12s, but then again all my old Winchesters were field models without ribs and the Brownings are a higher grade. What are they worth? I dunno, I gave $525 for my 20 ga, fired a time or two about 15 years ago. I gave $650 for the 28 ga NIB a couple years ago and $700 for the Model 42 that was, best we can tell, only put together and set in a gun cabinet, never fired. I guess I though they were worth the money at the time or I would not have bought them!

BP

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:47 pm 

If there's anyone who knows Winchesters, it's Dave (only winchesters). :shock:

I've been tempted to purchase a M12 myself and have always steered away from the Brownings. Looks like I might need to reconsider. :)

~ Al Capone ~

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello everyone: TY SShooterZ. Let me put it this way if you want a "classic looking pump gun" for the field the grade I Brownings/Winchester Japanese Md 12's and the Browning 42 are great. If you see one for less than $600 in great to NIB you wont find a better pump gun.

I use my 28ga for doves and pheasants, if I could get a deal on 28ga Bismuth it would be my "fog" gun in the duck blind!!

Compare to the top of the ling 870 Wingmaster or Browning BPS, youcan't go wrong!

Regards to all

Dave

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've got all 3, a 20, and 28, and a M42. The 28 has the smoothest action of all my M12's (I own 8 ), while the 20 is so-so. Both have horrible triggers, which you would not find on a pre-64. I also have a pre-64 M42, and a Browning repro; the Browning has better metal to metal fit hands down, is smoother, and even has a pretty good trigger. Anyways, if you can find a clean one for $600 or so, they're definitely worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:41 am 
Crown Grade

As of yet I do not have a Browning Model 12 28 gauge but those that I have seen seem to be of very good manufacture.Hope to add one to my collection in the future.