CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ruger Red Label for trap
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am looking for a moderately price O/U for casual trap shooting. The Red Label looks quite good to me. What are some pro/con comments from experienced owners.

Does anyone know the stock dimensions? The don't seem to be posted any where that I have found.

259xx

Post subject: Re: Ruger Red Label for trap
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

ke4yyd wrote:
I am looking for a moderately price O/U for casual trap shooting. The Red Label looks quite good to me. What are some pro/con comments from experienced owners.

Does anyone know the stock dimensions? The don't seem to be posted any where that I have found.

ke4yyd,
The Red Label is an awesome gun no matter what you hear from the people with B-gunitis. I have heard people say it shoots too flat for trap though. I dunno, I am more into skeet than trap anyway. No matter what gun I use for trap I still stink at it. I would NEVER talk anyone out of buying a RRL and I wont here either. Beg, Borrow, or Steel, one if you have to for an afternoon and shoot trap with it before you buy one. You might also consider a DeHaan or CZ dedicated trap gun. They can be had reasonably priced and the guys over in the DeHaan Sub-Forum sing the praises of Mark DeHaan all the time. He seems to be a pretty fair guy to deal with. I think he sells a trap grade for around $800 but don't quote me on that. If money were no object I would be trying to hunt down a Ruger Trap gun. I have never shot one but have read a great deal about them. They seem to be quite the trap gun.

Hope this helps,
Andy

PS. Look what I found on Gun Broker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=48170976

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=48322310

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:47 am 
Field Grade

The gun is great. The problem with field guns for trap is you can miss easily. Trap guns have a bit of angle built in. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Deywalker,

Do you have a URL for the DeHaan subforum???? Need to ask some questions.

I am interested in the DeHaan English Sporter however I am concerned about the after market chokes as well as parts availability.

Right now I am still leaning towards the Ruger.

259xx

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

ke4yyd wrote:
Deywalker,

Do you have a URL for the DeHaan subforum???? Need to ask some questions.

I am interested in the DeHaan English Sporter however I am concerned about the after market chokes as well as parts availability.

Right now I am still leaning towards the Ruger.

Here ya go

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=79

Andy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bit the bullet today and bought a Red Label. Local dealer had one for $1145 so I got it. It fits nice. Will give it a try Saturday.

259xx

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shot three rounds of skeet today and had a 24/25 average. The gun is well balanced and points well.

I shot my first round of trap since the late 50's and got a 20/25. I really like this gun. :D :D :D

I averaged forgetting the safety two times on each round. Gotta disengage that automatic safety.

259xx

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:16 am 
Crown Grade

ke4yyd, just remember in trap the clay is always rising so you need to cover the clay with the barrel and swing through.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:29 am 
Crown Grade

ke4yyd wrote:
Shot three rounds of skeet today and had a 24/25 average. The gun is well balanced and points well.

I shot my first round of trap since the late 50's and got a 20/25. I really like this gun. :D :D :D

I averaged forgetting the safety two times on each round. Gotta disengage that automatic safety.

Glad you like your Ruger. What barrel length did you get?

Many of the Ruger owners I know love their guns, and they actually own several - one in each gauge! Although I do not have a Red Label, I have had opportunities to test fire a few at the range. I agree with your assessment - I like the feel and balance of the Red Label. If I do my part, a Red Label can really smoke clay targets.

I believe you can send your gun in to Ruger and have them disable the auto safety mechanism for a nominal charge. The safety would still operate manually. A competent local gunsmith should also be able to do this.

For some reason, the Ruger Red Label elicits strong love/hate opinions, particuarly here at SGW. However, I think you made a good choice and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I got 28 inch barrel as this will be my all around gun and I prefer short barrels.

BTW, I used 3/4 oz of #8-1/2 shot reloads yesterday. The skeet chokes seemed to be just right with good breaks. Used the same load with the modified choke for trap 16 yd line. Breaks were fine.

259xx

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:31 pm 
Field Grade

Good price. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

ke4yyd,
Congrats on your new purchase!!...They're a great gun and you got it for a good price.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

You got that one for a good price...I paid 1237 for my 28ga....I sure love it....has 26 inch barrels...will use for skeet as well as quail.

Post subject: re: Ruger Red Label for trap
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:15 am 
Utility Grade

I have, at times, been a pretty serious trap shooter. I have owned numerous trap guns including Citoris, Berettas, SKB,s and a Remington 3200 trap. Now I'm using a red label 12/28" for trap, skeet, and hunting. These are fine guns, and they handle and function superbly. The only legitimate complaint about a red label is its weight. They are a little on the heavy side. The compensation for this is that you're carrying a beautifully crafted, American-made double. You can buy a lighter gun, but you'll look a long time to find one that is better made.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Congratulations! Sounds as though you've found a gun that fits and is to your all-round liking. I've been happy with all three of my RRL's for upland hunting (all that I do) and occasional rounds of trap.

Good luck and good shooting!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:05 pm 
Field Grade

I just bought a RRL 12ga engraved sporting clays. I've not shot much in a decade or more, or never shot overly much to begin with.

Anyways, I can't seem to bust clays to save my life with my Mossberg 500 (28" Mod choke vent rib), and wanted an o/u that can be used on the range and possibly afield (have never hunted but support hunting and didn't want to count myself out of that, necessarily.)

Anyways, I bought it and I've been oiling/lubing it and getting the moving parts to loosen up, and I hope to put a couple boxes through it this weekend. I also posted a piece in the Gun Opinons sub-forum, I'll refer you there for my first impressions (and my impressions of the RRL vs the B-guns.)

Short version is that I think it's a handsome, well-designed, well-made gun that by all appearances ought to serve one well, and it fits me about as well as any gun does outta the box.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:35 pm 
Field Grade

Well, I shot six rounds of 16 yard trap yesterday. That's all I've ever shot (16 yard trap, that is), but at least now I know that's what it is.

The Red Label created quite a stir, because it is not one of the "approved" pumps or autos, it was not a typical noobie gun, and it was not (drum roll please, the crowd falls into a hush...) a B gun.

A few of the "good ole boys" insisted on given me endless, breathless reviews of and lectures about the Krieghoffs, Perazzis, and B guns, and made comments to the effect that of course I could always sell the RRL later and use the money as the down payment towards the trigger or case or some other lesser part of a better gun...

Sigghhhh...

However, at least at this club and at least for the most part it was all good natured and while there was the usual snobbery there was also a lot of comradery and they were clearly happy to have a new guy coming out to shoot and support the sport.

As others have commented I will need to be sending my RRL back to the factory. Given everything that's been said and written and all the endless negativity, it's clear the gun is supposed to malfunction or something.

Well, darned if the thing didn't shoot well right outta the box, it hit everything that I managed to point it at, parts didn't fall out or off of it or fail, the barrels didn't fall off, it never misfired, firing pins didn't break, the action/break worked smoothly and perfectly and locked up well time after time, the safety worked perfectly, the stock didn't split, and the thing did not spontaneously melt down into a pile of junk.

Clearly, Ruger made a mistake, as by all appearances and just as my initial inspections suggested, this is a solid well made gun that shoots where one points it and is well enough designed and made of good enough materials that it should hold up well.

All kidding aside, overall I am very happy. This really is a nice gun and a good shooter at much less than one of the "standard" trap guns.

I've read a number of reviews that claim the gun is heavy. Perhaps relative to sxs fields guns and other ou hunting guns it is, but compared to the other (expensive) trap guns I handled yesterday and according to everyone who picked it up, it is actually light, particularly for 30-32 barrels and all.

A number of folks commented that it'd likely kick hard, but again I'm a big guy and I guess I can absorb the recoil well. It beat up my cheek a little and also my thumb, until I realized I needed to make sure my thumb was wrapped around the stock and not resting just behind the safety button on the stock.

I'm going to start experimenting with adjustable lop butt plates, as again I'm bigger and most guns tend to have too short of lop, but that's not the guns issue...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:03 pm 
Field Grade

Evening gents,

I own a few, no too many, shotguns. I have the Ruger in the all weather finish 28" bbls and it is a fine shooter. Have always loved Ruger. Went out last week and got a RRL 28g 28" for me and my daughter to use. Right out of the box it was broken. The cocking rod on right side was out of the gun. Called Ruger and the first girl was no help at all. I followed her wrong advice and ended up calling again. They, after I went ballistic, sent me a UPs label and gun went right back to them. When I saw it had been delivered on time I called to get them moving. Well, the answer was not too good. Since it was Wednesday and the holiday weekend was coming they were not looking at any guns for a few days. Not a good answer. I was advised to wait until next week before I even inquire about the gun being logged in. AS far as when it comes back, thay would give no clue.
Not a good start. Trust me, I will not sit and wait , Tuesday I am on the phone since the holiday is Monday. (Labor Day) I am disappointed not so much the gun was bad in thebaox but more so by the way they treated me thus far.
Last week I had to return a Browning, they could not do any more for me than they did. The gun is on its way back all ready!
If we are to save the American jobs the American workers need to produce a little better but the company must go the extra yard to satisfy the customer when they turn out a bad item.

Happy holiday and stay well and safe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:02 pm 
Field Grade

Sorry you are having a bad experience. And it sounds like you have every right to be tweaked...

My guess is that with the holidays and all, there were folks making a long weekend of it and etc, and they were likely short-staffed. But that being the case they ought to either just close and be done with it, or be honest with you on the phone (sounds like perhaps they were, more or less, but I didn't hear the conversation and can't say...)

I've often wondered why, when one receives obviously faulty goods right outta' the box, companies don't just replace the unit outright and be done with it. It is very bad PR to force someone who just bought something that's broken right outta' the box to have to wait and go through some kind of return/warranty/repair cycle. Very bad PR.

And your comments about American workers and all are right on the mark. Everyone wants folks to buy American, yet American companies are often not putting out the same value in similar products. It is one thing to have the occasional lemon that slips through and the usual wear-and-tear stuff or broken part, it is another thing to have American workers putting already-broken product in a box and selling it as new.

I hope that they do get the gun back swiftly and that it works out well for you...

I wonder if you could look up whoever the president or CEO of Ruger is and contact them directly. They may know they have some kind of sporadic QC problem, then again they may not. In any case it probably wouldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:44 pm 
Field Grade

Just to continue this saga... I've now shot 10 rounds of (informal, with friends) trap with this gun and I love it! I was warned it'd kick bad, but even shooting 1.125Oz loads it's not all that bad, at least to me...

I've been looking at various comb and butt plate extenders/pads/etc, as I am becoming convinced that I'd benefit from it.

But that has nothing to do with the gun, most guns have very similar LOP's etc and if one wants or needs something different, one pretty much has to start working with gun mods.

The gun is breaking in nicely and well, but not getting overly "loose" or whatever. So far I've had no problems at all, nada zippo.

I've shot as well with this gun as I ever have, the only other gun that I shot this well with was a Baikal IZH-27 (and specifically *not* the b-guns nor my Mossberg 500 that I've shot.)

Now, having said that, I'm also going through (what I'm told is) typical newbie stuff... I start thinking too much or concentrate on some one thing (which turns out to be the wrong thing), then my scores drop. Then I go through a couple rounds of trying things to figure out how to get back to where I was. Then I start thinking too much or trying some one thing (again), my score drops as often as not, then I start over. Rinse, repeat. But again that's not the guns fault!