CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 391 Tenkys or Benelli Montefeltro
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:01 am 
Utility Grade

I am looking at these two guns and like the feel of them both. I can't decide what gun to buy and thought I could get another opinion. I am also considering the Beretta 391 Urika. Between the three is there a significant difference? Some one told me the Benelli would be easier to clean. Any suggestions?
1. Beretta 391 Tenkys Xwood
2. Beretta 301 Urika
3. Benelli Montefeltro

Post subject: Re: Beretta 391 Tenkys or Benelli Montefeltro
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What do you want to use it for? What length barrel? What gauge?

Scott

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:06 am 
Utility Grade

Looking for a 12ga 28" barrel. I plan on using it for pheasant, duck, general purpose go-to gun.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Since you mentioned ducks, you might look at which model comes with a composite stock. All three are quality shotguns. You probably meant AL391 Urika not 301 Urika, right?

Try to handle all three and see which fits you best.

Scott

“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:06 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a 20 Ga Montefeltro and several 391's. The difference between 391 Urika and Teknys is purely cosmetic. Internal mechanism is the same. Berettas you mention are gas guns and Benelli is recoil operated. Less felt recoil with the Berettas. Benelli is definitely easier to clean. 28in barrel is a good choice.Beretta 391's come in sporting and field versions. Both versions come in 28 in barrel length. Sporting has a wider rib and a mid bead plus stock is a little thicker and heavier on sporting version.Both are great guns so pick the one YOU like. I would give the nod to the Beretta but I do like the way the Benelli sounds when you chamber a round.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:51 am 
Diamond Grade

The Benelli Montefeltro is a very nice looking and shooting gun....a coworker of mine owns one and I got to try it quail hunting last year....it was quite nice to shoulder and handled very well.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I prefer the M1/M2 Benellis personally. The higher rib works better for me. I also like the Synthetic stock ona field gun.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just bought a Beretta AL391 Urika Sporting 12 gauge yesterday. So, my bias would be towards the Beretta. The Urika and Teknys are quite similar.

Scott

“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I have never owned a piston type shotgun. Are they that difficult to clean or do people just complain because they take a few extra minutes to clean the extra parts? Is there much difference between the Urika and the Tenkys? I can get them for the same price and I think I could get over the 'fake' wood if it was a better gun. Thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:17 pm 

All of the AL391's are the same mechanically. The difference between most models is the finish.

Both the AL391 and Montefeltro are great models. They both have automatic magazine cutoff's and shims to adjust their stocks. The AL 391 has a bolt lock lever that the Monte does not. The Monte holds five rounds total to the AL's four.

The Monte is geared more for upland. They are light in weight and only come in a W/B finish. They can be used for waterfowl and all around use but, there are better models for that use.

The AL391 is almost as thin thru the foream as the Monte. It weighs a little more and come in quite a few finishes. The AL391 is a very pouplar model for clays and the make a pretty good all around model.

The Monte being Inerita operated will stay slightly cleaner than a good gas design like the AL391. The Monte is a lot easier to clean over the AL391. Cleaning the AL391 is not rocket science but there are other gas models that are quite a bit easier to clean than the AL391.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

put the benelli M2 on the list

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:00 am 
Utility Grade

I have both. You really can't go wrong with either gun. The differences I notice are 1) The Beretta is slightly heavier,or at least feels that way.2) If you are hunting from a pit blind the gas exhaust from the 391 comes out under the front of the forearm, which can kick up some debris. 3) The safety controls are different .The 391 is in front of the trigger gaurd , which I prefer. The Benelli is behind, I added an enlarged control button on both of my Benellis. 4) Cleaning either is not really that big of an issue unless you are shooting hundreds of rounds at a time. Both guns will shoot the average years worth of shells with out any care and keep on going. 5) One feature of the Beretta I really like is the magazine cut off switch and the way that it works. The Benelli has one but it works different and I prefer the Beretta. If you press the latch and open the bolt on the Beretta the chambered shell comes out and the shells in the magazine stay put. The Benelli always releases a round into the receiver and messes everthing up and it can't be loaded or unloaded unless that round is chambered or shaken out of the gun. For me the beretta seems easier and safer. I hope this helps. Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:38 am 
Crown Grade

Not too familiar with the Benelli, although I hear great things. Can't go wrong with the Beretta. For your purposes, I would lean towards the Urika.

UMH

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:02 pm 

Another old post of almost four years.

codogdoc wrote:
One feature of the Beretta I really like is the magazine cut off switch and the way that it works. The Benelli has one but it works different and I prefer the Beretta. If you press the latch and open the bolt on the Beretta the chambered shell comes out and the shells in the magazine stay put. The Benelli always releases a round into the receiver and messes everthing up and it can't be loaded or unloaded unless that round is chambered or shaken out of the gun. For me the beretta seems easier and safer. I hope this helps. Good luck

Welcome to SGW. Something must be wrong with your Monte because it has the very same automatic magazine cutoff as the Beretta. The only difference is the Beretta has the bolt lock lever on the left side of the receiver that the Monte does not have. The cartridge release is a lever on the right side of the trigger for the Monte and a small button in the middle of the carrier on the Beretta.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:57 am 
Limited Edition

codogdoc wrote:
.2) If you are hunting from a pit blind the gas exhaust from the 391 comes out under the front of the forearm, which can kick up some debris.

The gas exhaust kick's up debris? Seriously? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never ever had this happen in the dove field, duck blind or goose pit...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:19 pm 
Field Grade

Love the 20 ga. Montefeltro for upland. Have used a Benelli M1 Super 90 for ducks/geese for years. Function flawlessly for everything and you can clean them with a Kleenex, then spray and wipe with a little oil. The action is genius, and they just run...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:48 am 
Crown Grade

I have both guns. The Beretta and Benelli both are great autos. When I want to shoot a auto the Benelli comes out of the safe first. I like the feel better and It is a lot easyer to clean. If I wasn't so lazy :shock: I would shoot the Beretta more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:53 am 
Presentation Grade

I went with The Beretta 391urika2 Xtra grain wood...1.Gas operated kicks less....2.Liked the finish better than the Benelli.....3.Less in cost than the Teknys(same mechanical action as Teknys..just less bling)....4.EASIEST gas operated gun I have ever owned to clean...5.BERETTA...("Best shotgun in the World")......IMHO :mrgreen:

BUT....The Benelli is a fine gun!!!...