CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any good reason to buy a 28 gage shotgun?
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:56 am 
Diamond Grade

Hi Folks:

I am tempted to buy a 28 gage OU to use for upland hunting. Other than looking cool in the gun rack, I can not find a reason to spring for the 28.

Right now I have the following upland guns:

Beretta 303 20 ga.
Franchi Falconet 20 ga.
Franchi AL 48 20 ga.
Beretta Ultralight12 ga.
Beretta Folding single barrel 12 ga.
Remington 58 12 ga.

As you can see, I have more than enough Upland guns but yet I still lust after the 28 ga. Kindly advise me one way or the other about this choice.

Oh yes, I still have not seen any 28 ga. ammo for sale since I began lusting for this gun. Is this going to be a problem for a 28 ga. owner?

Thanks.

Franchi

Post subject: Re: Any good reason to buy a 28 gage shotgun?
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Looking good on the gun rack is enough for me. I have been using a borrowed one for about 6 months and it is just alot of fun to shoot. You can never have too many guns, at least that is what I keep telling myself.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:50 am 
Crown Grade

You need a reason to buy a new shotgun?

Pennsylvania in the Summer
Florida in the Winter

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:51 am 
Presentation Grade

The best reason I can think of to buy a 28 gauge is that you don't presently own one. Ammo for the 28 gauge seems to be more easily found in the last couple years--Walmess has it.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:53 am 
Presentation Grade

Ummmmmmmm. . . . these answers should help you along the way to purchasing the 28 ga.

You want it.
You need to occupy that space in the gunsafe that is empty and is feeling neglected.
You need another excuse to convince your wife that man was created to have shotguns.
You have the desire to own an often passed over perfectly acceptable little piece of magic.

"The path we have chosen for the present is full of hazards, as all paths are. The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission." JFK

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:08 am 
Diamond Grade

It will help you lose weight!

When you see the price of ammo - you'll have to decide wether to buy ammo or eat.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Not to appear contrary, but I cannot imagine buying a 28 when you have that armory of really great 20's. May be :shock: treason, but I am old enough to believe you actually CAN have too many shotguns. Now, if you run across a nice little 16, that's another issue altogether :lol: ...
///olde 8) pharte///

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello suckman: Well the 28ga is fun to shoot, sometimes lighter and faster than some 20s and 16s. I enjoy mine. My favorite gun to use on those afternoon pheasant hunts once the dogs have tired from the morning hunt. Great dove and qual gun. Most quail hunters will stand by the 28ga.

As far as shells goes, any gun dealer can order them for you!! however you don't have a lot of choice here, meaning Remington, Federal, Fiocchi and others all make one load, 3/4oz of lead. Only Winchester offeres you a choice 3/4 oz and 1 oz. lead loads. Since I don't reload, I buy, by the flat (10boxes) of the Winchester Super X 1oz loads, runs about $8.00 a box sometimes less since I order shells once a year and buy more than just the 28ga. Winchester is also the only ones to offer #5 shot which is my favorite for pheasants with the 28ga. (I like Winchester shells if you haven't figured it out! LOL)

Oh the recoil isn't any worse than my 20 ga guns. if you don't have one you need one!

Regards Dave

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:03 pm 
Limited Edition

There is one very good reason to buy a 28, when you have at least one each of 10 gauge, 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 20 gauge and 410 cal, you then need to get a 28 gauge followed by a 24 gauge and 32 gauge and possibly a 9mm rimfire :D .

PS if you can get or make the odd size ammo (8, 14 etc) you need to get guns in those gauges as well :wink: .

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'd love a 28. I've always fancied one, cant really justify it at the moment but if I had the money then looking good in the rack would be all the excuse I'd need !

Go for it and enjoy !

Leeboy

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:35 pm 
Field Grade

My father bought me my first shotgun when I was 12 years old. It was a Remington 11-48 auto 28 ga. I am now 62 years old and I have used that same gun every year since for upland game. I've tried everything else but always go back to the 28. I think it is the greatest guage ever for quail, rabbits and phesants.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BUY IT! Buy it in protest of the UN Gun Ban conference in NYC July 4th, 2006. You will love it and it will always have special meaning then.
G

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

garypags wrote:
My father bought me my first shotgun when I was 12 years old. It was a Remington 11-48 auto 28 ga. I am now 62 years old and I have used that same gun every year since for upland game. I've tried everything else but always go back to the 28. I think it is the greatest guage ever for quail, rabbits and phesants.

WOW!

I could have wrote that! Are you my alter ego?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:37 pm 
Limited Edition

You don't need a 28. You have great upland 20's and they are very versatile. You can load a 20 down to a 28 and up to light 12's. The 20 is the all time best all around close range upland gun. Many 28's are simply smaller barrels on 20 frames that cost twice as much to shoot.

Ammo is hard to find. There was a post above with good recommendation for 28 loads. The fiocchi golden pheasant comes in a 7/8 oz. The golden pheasants are on sale at Cabelas for 11.99 a box so hurry out and get a few cases! In reality the 7/8 oz load is a 20 load and if you have a 28 on a 20 frame and your shooting 20 level loads why get a 28? Best to stay with the 3/4 oz load and hand load that’s what I do. You can pay for a Mec 600 in short order shooting the 28 ga.

Now I must admit that I do have a 28 or two laying around somewhere and I do like shooting them, but most of the time I take out a 20. My 20 are as light or lighter than my 28’s.

If you really want a 28 get a nice one that is built on a 28 frame not just a small barreled 20. That's the way to really experience the magic of the 28. My next 28 will be a true 28 framed gun. Yes, I do plan on getting another 28 but I don’t need it. However, with a true 28 at least I can rationalize that it is truly something different than the 20.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is there a good reason NOT to buy a good O&U 28 ga?

None that I can think of. :wink:

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:00 am 
Tournament Grade

"Looking cool in the gun rack" is as valid a reason for buying a 28 as buying aftermarket rims for a suburban gentleman's pickup. Rational? No. But then we are human afterall, and looking cool is as American as the Hummer.

Everyone I know who has a 28, loves hunting with them. If you get one, you just might as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Best reason in the World!!!

You Ain't Got One!!!

:wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:46 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I hate to say this, Suckman,please do not take it as a put down but you are way behind the curve. You have no 10 gauge guns, no .410 guns and there is not a 16 gauge (the Prince of all gauges) in your list. Man, I hope that you are just a youngster that is starting out.

You definatly NEED that 28ga. Buy some SxS 20ga & 16ga upland guns. You gotta get a nice little Remington M1100 in 20ga. Don't wait too long to shop the drilling market for a nice Sauer 16ga over 7X65R. Yes, you have a way to go.... but it sure is fun! :lol: :lol:

Oh my gosh!! I almost forgot! Buy a few Browning A5s in all three gauges.too! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:28 am 
Limited Edition

Suckman,

I am going to chime in about the 28 now. I have a 28 gauge O/U (a Red Label for all you haters) and I like it very much. In fact, I enjoy shooting a 28 so much, I have been considering adding a semi auto to my line up. One of the guns I have been kicking around is Franchi 48 AL. It seems to be just the ticket.

I see by your list that you have the Franchi 20ga. I It seems like you have a think for semi's so I would go for the Franchi 48 AL if I were you.

Doug Gordon

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:35 am 
Diamond Grade

nope.....no reason at all NOT to buy one....PLENTY of reasons to buy one though...... :) I have been shooting them for over 35 years now....and they are without a doubt my favorite gun for quail and other such wonderful upland birds.