CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SIDEKICK CHAMBER INSERTS or Full Length Tubes
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:25 am 
Tournament Grade

Has anyone used the sidekick chamber inserts and if so how do they work compared to the full length tubes
Thanks

GOT Beagle

Remington 11-87 12g.
Remington spartan 310S 12g
Remington spartan 310 28g
Traditions o/u 20g
Browning Safari bar ll 243
Browning Safari bar ll 30-06
ruger 22 hornet

Post subject: Re: SIDEKICK CHAMBER INSERTS or Full Length Tubes
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They work pretty good with 12 ga down to 20 or 28 GA. Don't know, but I have heard that the 12 to 410 does not pattern very well....but this is not something I can testify to.

As to shorties versus long tubes, for registered skeet nothing but full length fitted tubes. For recreational skeet, particularly to outfit a fun gun to shoot subgages, the shorties work just fine. Seminole Chambermates are the ones I have some experience with.

One shortcoming of the shorties is it seems like if you shoot cheaper shells they tend to stick in the chamber more.??

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

so with the shorties i cant use them for registered skeet.Right ,then they wouldnt really be worth it then .so ill have to go with the long tubes .
Thanks for the info

GOT Beagle

Remington 11-87 12g.
Remington spartan 310S 12g
Remington spartan 310 28g
Traditions o/u 20g
Browning Safari bar ll 243
Browning Safari bar ll 30-06
ruger 22 hornet

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

missouriman wrote:
so with the shorties i cant use them for registered skeet.

No, he didn't mean that at all. You can use anything as long as it's the correct gauge for that event, but in most cases full length fitted tubes are going to offer superior performance. You'll get better, more uniform patterns, and a more complete powder burn with the .410 especially.

Also, most tournament skeet shooters learn to appreciate the added weight that you'll get with full length tubes. The weight gobbles up recoil, and helps promote a smoother, more controlled swing.

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

ShootingStar, Baron23,

If Missouriman chooses to get the sidekicks chamber inserts for the 410 bore isn't it likely that he would need to get a trigger job in order to cycle to the second shot?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Depends on what gun he chosses to tube. Inertia triggers might (probably would) need to be tweaked to set up the 2nd shot with the .410, mechanicals would not. The 20 and 28 ga. will almost always work fine without any modification to an inertia trigger.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

RE: trigger job

My friend just purchased a complete set of the full length drop-in inserts (not the fitted ones) for his Browning and the .410 works sometimes and at other times not at all, and that is with factory ammo.

He will be sending in his shotgun for the trigger modification....

I tried the same .410 tubes on a Browning 4-barrel skeet set and they worked perfectly (with reloads).

A few years back I saw a shooter that could not get a fitted set to work with 28 gauge shells.

Just something to be aware of if going the tube route.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LostTarget wrote:
I tried the same .410 tubes on a Browning 4-barrel skeet set and they worked perfectly (with reloads).

Stands to reason it would probably work since it's a set that came from the factory with .410 barrels. The only reason it might not cycle properly would be if the added weight of the tubes would result in lessening the recoil to the point that it wouldn't function.

Sometimes barrel sets are equipped with mechanical triggers from the factory, even though their large, single gauge versions of the same model had inertia triggers. Winchester 101's come to mind.

Last edited by ShootingStar on Tue May 30, 2006 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:01 am 
Diamond Grade

Quote:
My friend just purchased a complete set of the full length drop-in inserts

Joe...just curious....what are these you're talking about? Companions??? or.....???

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mark was exactly right....I did not mean that you can't shoot registered targets with them, just that if you want to seriously compete they are probably not the right product for the reasons Mark mentioned....pattern, weight, and the issue I mentioned of them seeming to be a bit more touchy about ejecting cheaper shells...which is not a problem with recreational skeet but may really annoy your squad mates in a registered shoot who are trying to make four rounds of in good time and at a constant pace.

As for triggers, the issue is (I believe) not related to long vs short tubes...to my mind, if you want to shoot subgages (esp 410) then conversion to mechanical triggers is needed, again particularly for registered. For fun shooting, maybe you and your buddies can tolerate the occasional failure to reset for the second barrel, but these would be gun malfunctions in a registered event and you only get two. I prefer mechanical triggers, I have complete confidence that the second barrel is set to shoot.

Like I said, I know a bunch of folks who use the short tubes for various purposes and it seems that they offer a good, cheaper way to shoot subgages for various recreational reasons...they are good products when used for the right application. However, I personally don't think they are a suitable substitute for full length fitted tubes for competition skeet, although others may disagree.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:56 am 
Crown Grade

missouriman wrote:
Has anyone used the sidekick chamber inserts and if so how do they work compared to the full length tubes
Thanks

try searching on that subject. this may be one of the top 5 most discussed subjects on this board... :lol: You should find a bunch of info that may not be rehashed here.

The cliffs notes version: Get full length fitted tubes for anything other than just very informal practice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:04 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Baron23 wrote:
They work pretty good with 12 ga down to 20 or 28 GA. Don't know, but I have heard that the 12 to 410 does not pattern very well....but this is not something I can testify to.

I can testify to it. I owned a full set of Briley Sidekicks. The 20 and 28 ga inserts worked very well! (At least until the plastic "buttons" that hold the 20 ga pair in the chambers came out, and they started ejecting with the shell!)

The .410, on the other hand, did not perform nearly as well as I would have liked.

Upshot: Since the .410's didn't perform, and the 20's wouldn't stay in the chamber, the set is now at Briley. They gave me an excellent trade in value towards a set of full-length tubes, which I hope to receive very soon!

**DISCLAIMER** I don't mean to suggest or imply that the plastic "buttons" coming off is indicative of a problem with Briley products. I believe their loss is a direct result of soaking the inserts for a few hours in a "carbon cutter", that apparently also "cuts" plastic...