CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which choke for Steel shot?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From SKB

http://www.skbshotguns.com/Choke%20Tube.htm

From Benelli

Q: What choke should I use for steel shot?
A: Most people find that the Modified choke works best for pass shooting and the Improved Cylinder and Cylinder chokes work well on decoying birds. Nothing is gained by trying to shoot steel through a choke tighter than Modified and we do not recommend doing so.

From Remington

In order to safely shoot Hevi-Shot, lead or steel shot in a Full Rem Choke the choke tube must state "For Steel or Lead Shot".

From Browning

Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS: All Browning shotguns with the Invector choke or Invector-Plus tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.

From Mossberg

Can I shoot steel shot through all barrels ? Not all barrels. Barrels with an interchangeable Accu-Choke™ or Accu-Mag™ choke tube system, yes (with proper tubes installed); however, steel shot is not recommended for older "C-Lect Choke®" or fixed-choke barrels.

From Ithaca

Can I shoot steel shot in my Ithaca gun?
Factory Steel shot loads can be used with a modified choke, or open choke made by the Ithaca Gun Co., LLC

(Thanks to AG for organizing the list)