CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 gauge sabot slug?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:42 am 
Crown Grade

I hope this hasn't been beaten to death. I tried a search and came up with nothing.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of 16 gauge sabot slugs? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 16 gauge sabot slug?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:10 am 
Crown Grade

I am not aware of anyone making a rifled barrel for a 16. Sabots only really work in rifled barrels.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:26 am 
Crown Grade

I was hoping that once the new Ithaca Guns USA had their 16 gauge production up and running, that they might offer an interchangeable rifled barrel. Granted this is probably wishful thinking, but I just love the scale of the Ithaca 16's. For me, the 12 gauge is just bulky and cumbersome, the 20 gauge a bit whippy, but the 16 is perfect for upland birds. It should also be great for deer.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I went to a 20 gauge Remington 870 express with a rifled barrel for deer hunting. Much less bulky to lug around and less recoil too. Though the gun has done me well, I would much prefer to be carrying an Ithaca.

The catch 22 is probably no ammo company will make a 16 gauge sabot slug until a gun company is making a 16 gauge rifled barrel, and visa versa.

Looks like I will probably have to settle for an Ithaca 20 gauge with a rifled barrel, which is still a very nice gun. It's just that I would prefer it 16 gauge. I have a vintage Ithaca 37 made in 1952 in 16 gauge that has a solid rib, and it's the best pump gun I have ever had. Sure would like to have a matching 16 gauge deer gun!!!

I am really looking forward to the new Ithaca Guns USA producing guns on their CNC machines, which I am hopeful will result in a dramatic increase in quality and return them to the quality they had in the past.

I am looking forward to supporting an American gun company that is turning out product that I would be proud to carry. I just hope there is sufficient market to support a quality American pump gun at their price point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:50 am 
Crown Grade

Ithaca has always made a fine gun and in my opinion, the best pump gun of anyones. I have been to the Ithaca olant on several occasions and shot 35mm pictures of the facility. I was sorry to see Ithaca fold up, but glad someone picked up the line and will continue to produce this gun. One of the problems Ithaxa had was all their machines were very old and required a lot of "hands on" machining and fixture set up. With CNC machines there will be little need for this slow hand work and set up time. Ithaca were indeed hand fitted by a few skilled craftsmen with stones and files making minute adjustments and teating the guns. The guns were "in house" proof tested too. The 16 guage has been on something of a ressurection lately and I have often wondered if the ammo companies will ever bring out a 3"-16 guage to match what happened to the 12 and 20 guages.Probably not.
It is sort of a catch 22 as far as the slugs and rifled barrels, but I would think if enough of us shooters were buying them, the market would follow.
I don't know what the new owners are doing with the shotguns, they indicate some redesign (stamped parts?) Even with CNC machines, if they machine every part in the gun, it will take more time and cost more money than a Mossberg or a Remington. My feeling is that the new owners are not trying to compete head to head with Remington or Mossberg et al, but to attract those of us that want the best pump gun made and realize it is going to cost more than one with tons of stamped parts. Of course you know that the Ithaca was named after the city they were made in,, Ithaca, NY... I hope they don't change the name from Ithaca to,,,,,the Upper Sandusky... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:57 am 
Presentation Grade

QUOTE: "I hope they don't change the name from Ithaca to,,,,,the Upper Sandusky..."

Agree with you. I have a very difficult time forming the words in my mouth--- 'yea, I'm really proud of this here gun, it's my... er... Upper Sandusky.................................................."

Note the town where I am writing from right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:05 am 
Limited Edition

Lightfield makes a 16 gauge version of the Commander IDS (impact discarding sabot) slug. Try the link below..

http://www.lightfieldslugs.com/lightfield/ecatalog/index.cfm?pageid=104&id=2&cfid=4491419&cftoken=26804520

This is the only one I know of.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:08 am 
Crown Grade

Grousen wrote:

Absolutely!...

Lightfield has offered a 16 ga slug for years, the 2 3/4 Commander 7/8 slug @1600fps....
http://www.tarhunt.com/tarhunt/ecatalog ... n=80820865

Tar-Hunt also currently offers their RSG model in 16ga...
http://www.tarhunt.com/tarhunt/

And of course 16 ga Ithaca's are easy to find, however the rifled barrels are getting tougher to locate....

NOW...

Would I recommend buying one...? Outside of the interest of gun collecting...Definitely not...

Simple answer....Ammo is harder to find, and the ballistics of the 16 ammo that is available does not even meet the ballistics of currently offered 20ga ammo...

Last edited by jcchartboy on Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

jcchartboy hit the nail on the head. The resurgence of the 16ga was kind of spearheaded by Ithaca, then Remington brought their 870/1100 back.

A well made 16ga field gun is awesome. Lighter than the 12, heavier load than the 2.75 20ga, and a shorter shot column than the 3" 20ga. However in my opinion, the lack of slug ammo has doomed the 16ga slug gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Grousen wrote:
I hope this hasn't been beaten to death. I tried a search and came up with nothing.

To my knowledge, no manufacture of 16 gauge sabots. It is rather strange there is no one manufacturing a saboted loaded the 16 gauge. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:38 pm 
Crown Grade

HOOSIER_5 wrote:
To my knowledge, no manufacture of 16 gauge sabots. It is rather strange there is no one manufacturing a saboted loaded the 16 gauge. :?

Hoosier...as stated a few times above Lightfield makes them....

Quote:
Lightfield has offered a 16 ga slug for years, the 2 3/4 Commander 7/8 slug @1600fps....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank you all very much for the above information. I appreciate your taking the time to help out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:38 am 
Crown Grade

Grousen wrote:
Thank you all very much for the above information. I appreciate your taking the time to help out.

No problem Grousen, hope to see you around....

JC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:52 am 
Limited Edition

jcchartboy wrote:

Hoosier...as stated a few times above Lightfield makes them....

Quote:
[/quote]

However does anyone make a "Rifled" barrel for the 16 gauge?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:55 am 
Crown Grade

HOOSIER_5 wrote:
However does anyone make a "Rifled" barrel for the 16 gauge?

As mentioned in the same response above...

Quote:
Tar-Hunt also currently offers their RSG model in 16ga...
http://www.tarhunt.com/tarhunt/

And of course 16 ga Ithaca's are easy to find, however the rifled barrels are getting tougher to locate....

I bleieve there may be at least one or two others as well

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:01 am 
Crown Grade

Yes,

Here is another....

Remington 870 Wingmaster Deer Barrel 16 ga 20"

This barrel features a rifled "Rem Choke"...