CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 391 shim?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:39 pm 
Limited Edition

What number shim do you have in you 391 TRAP? I have a 45 and I think it shoots too high.

Thanks

Mike

Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: 391 shim?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:57 pm 
DFW Dominant Predator

From Beretta FAQ's:

Please review your manual for safe firearm handling practices, make sure the firearm is unloaded before making any adjustments.

For field and sporting guns:

First the shooter should decided if any adjustment is needed. To do so the shotgun should be pattern tested at your local range to check for point of impact. Fire 3 aimed shots at a pattern board from a distance of 32 meters, using the full choke with the shells you would normally shoot. Compare the pattern impact area in relation to the point you aimed at. If the pattern is generally centered around your point of aim, no adjustment is needed. If your pattern impacts higher then your point of aim you would need to lower the comb (use a higher numbered spacer) , if the pattern impacts lower then your point of aim, raise the comb (use a lower numbered spacer). Instructions for making these adjustments is in your manual. Remember that the spacer and rear plate must match the same setting or damage to the stock may occur. The factory installed shim is the C-60-DX. Please keep in mind that these adjustments will help center your pattern but there is no way to completely fine tune the point of impact, different brands of shot shell and shot size can have a major affect on the actual pattern density and impact point.

Understanding the spacer markings:

Each spacer and plate is stamped with a letter - number sequence, for example: C-60-DX

C = Field / sporting gun

60 = The actual drop at the heel measurement in millimeters

DX = The cast that will be applied

Each spacer and plate set will give 2 different comb heights:

The stamped number corresponds to the amount of drop that will be realized at the heel of the stock, for example C-60-DX will give you 60 millimeters of drop at the heel. If you want to raise the heel higher you could install the spacer and plate to the lower number setting of C-55-DX - now the actual measurement at the heel would be 55 mm of drop. Using another higher numbered spacer like C-65-DX would lower the drop at heel by 5 mm more then the standard C-60-DX spacer.

The cast measurement is set at a value of 4 mm and can only be switched for right or left hand use. If you shoot right hand, always set the spacer on "DX" , if you shoot left hand use the "SX" position.

For trap and target shotguns:

The targeting and adjustment instructions are the same with a difference only in the shim markings: T-40-DX

T = Trap / Target

40 = The actual drop at the heel measurement in millimeters

DX = The cast that will be applied

Trap and target guns have the T-40-DX spacer factory installed.
The additional spacer is a T-42.5, note that this spacer has zero cast. The "C'' stamped spacers cannot be interchanged with the "T" stamped spacers, the drop measurement would not be correct due the higher Monte Carlo comb of the trap and target stocks. The exception to this is with the 391 Teknys Gold Trap, on this model the drop dimensions are calculated using the C type spacer. The C-60 spacer is factory installed on this model and extra spacers are not supplied due to the adjustability of the comb.

Post subject: re: 391 shim?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Ok guys, I bought a 3901 Citizen and have read everything I can find on here about the shims that come with the gun. All the shims I see referenced here are like C-60-DXor SX. I understand what they mean from what has been described. My extra shims are labeled only as A and B with no corresponding #'s such as 45 or 60 or SX or DX. The shims for the rear of the receiver are plastic with one being thicker than the other (B). The metal plates for inside the stock---one has more lengthwise curvature than the other (again B). I haven't looked to see what is installed on the gun. Can somebody straighten me out on this?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge,

Woody Patterson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Ok, Posted too soon! I also just noticed when I matched up the metal shims, the hole in the "A" shim is lower than the hole in the "B" shim.

Thanks again for your responses in advance,

Woody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Help me out here guys!

No response from Beretta yet either.

Thanks, Woody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:35 pm 
Field Grade

Mike, I have a T 40 in mine which I purchased new last month. 391 Beretta Parallel trap. It shoots 4 inches high at 40 yds. If you pattern yours I think with a 45 spacer it will shoot even flatter than mine. I would pattern it before I made any changes. Just my two cents. Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:54 pm 
Utility Grade

F9VH,
If the 45 is too high I have higher ones at $8 per set plus shipping from 95363.

Mike Mazzucchi