CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: **EMPTY 20 GAUGE HULLS**
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:36 pm 
Field Grade

I've been puchasing my emtpy 20 gauge hulls off of EBAY.
Does anyone have any better suppliers? If so, where? and what price?
Thanks,
Nantan2 :roll:

Post subject: Re: **EMPTY 20 GAUGE HULLS**
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:40 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Yup, buy new shells, shoot them and then you have FREE once fired hulls, no freight, nothing, just once fired hulls. Me, I'd buy AAs and a second choice would be STSs.

BP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:14 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have to agree, though I would purchase Rem Gun Clubs. They have a much lower initial purchase price and last nearly as long as the STS / Win AA's. Visit your local range; ours has all you can use, easy pickings'.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:46 pm 
Field Grade

I had saved several hundred rounds of once fired factory stuff. I purchased Winchester AA from Sportsman's Warehouse for $5.79 a box. But I can reload them for about half that...$3.00 a box...if I can get cheap hulls. Thanks for the suggestions.
Nantan2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Nantan2,

If you pay $5.79 for factory WinAAs and can reload them for $3.00 per box that means you are paying 11 cents each for the empties that you have after shooting the factory stuff (5.79-3.00=2.79/25=.1116).

So you will make out buying hulls off eBay as long as you pay less than 11 cents per hull, including shipping. I recently bought about 4,000 20ga WinAAs and Rem STS hulls off eBay for about 6 cents each so you should be able to do fine. Most of the crazy hull prices are for 28 and 410 hulls.

Of course the best deal is to scrounge free stuff from a gun range. Dumpster diving is now my favorite new hobby. :)

Bill Wood
Life Member:
NRA, NSSA/NSCA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remington Game Loads and Sport Loads (from the 100 round " value " packs) are everywhere around here at the skeet ranges and Sporting Clays ranges. I haven't bought 20 factory stuff in quite a while.

Scrounge around if you can.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"
NSSA #165694
Bud

Last edited by Equismith on Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I just buy the cheap Remingtons for about $4 a box at Wal-Mart and they seem to last pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:42 pm 
Field Grade

William R Wood wrote:

Most of the crazy hull prices are for 28 and 410 hulls.

Of course the best deal is to scrounge free stuff from a gun range. Dumpster diving is now my favorite new hobby. :)

You can add 16's to the list of crazy hull prices on Ebay. And I second the notion that dumpster diving at the local range is the best (and cheapest) way to collect hulls for reloading, particularly in 12 and 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:36 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'm going dumpster diving!!
Nantan2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

NANTAN2 wrote:
I've been puchasing my emtpy 20 gauge hulls off of EBAY. Does anyone have any better suppliers?

Short of scavenging free hulls from a range, eBay is it. Any other source will cost more, but you have to be patient to get the deals even on eBay.

The amateur idiots, whose numbers seem to have multiplied in recent years, are bidding prices into the absurd -- even for 12 and 20 gauge.

Premium 12 and 20 gauge hulls should never go for more than a nickel apiece and the "economies" no more than two or three cents -- tops.

The Remington Game Load is one of the most reloadable hulls around and are usually littering the ground of any range.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Watch Recob's Target Shop website. They are out of stock right now, but when they have them and if you buy 2500 hulls, you can get them for prices along the lines of what Case is saying and not have to screw around with bidding. And they'll be good, clean hulls.

Freight being a major component cost factor these days, I'll ditto the dumpster diving recommendations.

- Sam Houston

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
The Remington Game Load is one of the most reloadable hulls around and are usually littering the ground of any range.

And a hearty AMEN to that!

I recently went to the skeet range and the guys ahead of me were shooting the Rem GL 6pt crimp hulls. I quietly dumped the garbage can and filled my Food Lion Bags with them and about 100 12ga Gun Clubs and 100 20ga 6pt GLs.

I have no shame :D

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"
NSSA #165694
Bud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Hey guys , I joined the trash can pickers union also. But don't you hate in when you reach in for the shiny once fired STS hull only to find that some unsavory punk had just spit in the barrel or dumped in a half full can of Mt Dew. Yuck :x Yep I agree ,the cheap Rems reload just as good as the high price ones

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nantan2, PM sent.

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Last fall I found that Wally World was selling flats of Remington 12 and 20 sport loads for $32.70 each. It was hardly worth the time to reload. They had 7 1/2 or 8 shot for choice 1 oz in 12 and 7/8 in 20. I would buy 2 or 4 at a time. After about 3 trips I was set for about 6 months for $327. I can't tell the difference between sport and target loads myself except that they are higher velocity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:55 pm 
Field Grade

Either buy the Remington Shur-shot dove loads and make empties out of them, or go shoot a round of skeet and pick up every hull you find. My buddy and I did this and the result was literally hundreds of AA, STS, Remington game hulls... you get the picture. So, a $7 round of skeet + $3.50 box of ammo = a few hundred hulls. That's better than Ebay.