CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SHOTGUN UNDER $200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm looking for a shotgun under or around $200. It would be used for shooting skeet and trap. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: SHOTGUN UNDER $200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

I think you will need to save a few pennies to get anything decent---You MAY stumble on a decent shotgun for that money at an auction but I wouldn't hold my breath---just the facts --- :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

well under 200 will be hard but if u search around u might be able to get a "decent" used pump. single bbls can be had in that price range, but if u plan to do some skeet u need more shells to fire. i would suggest looking for a used mossburg 500 because they are good guns for the price. i still take my moss 835 out when i go phesant hunting because they are very durable and i can have a better time because i dont have to wory about a thousand dollar gun gettin beatin up. and after alot of hunting with my mossburg it still looks new.

to sum up, used, pump, mossburg.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:59 pm 
Utility Grade

you can get a nice used 870 in 12 or 20 gauge, 28 barrel with rib and screw in chokes. check around pawn shops and the local paper. no need to spend 5k to 20k to get started. another place is the local trap and skeet club. some members not only will offer free pointers, many also have some good deals on used guns.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:25 pm 
Crown Grade

You could get a new Mossberg 500 Pump at Wal-Mart. They cost around $200. You could get a new Rossi ore a NEF H&R Single shot for around $95. A twenty gauge single shot WILL teach you how to shoot, no second shot. Put a recoil pad on it for sure :wink: Good luck shooting :D

BT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:52 pm 
Crown Grade

If you are interested in new. There is a Maverick 88 field gun available from Walmart for around 160.00 Uses the same barrels as the Mossberg 500, same choke tubes also. The big difference is Mossberg has the safety on top of the receiver, Maverick has it on the trigger guard. It is not a fancy gun and it has a black synthetic stock but it is a durable gun. You might want to check one out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

I found a used Mossy 500 for $175 OTD at a pawn shop where I live. The shotgun is pretty much mint with a little rust and wear which I cleaned up with some steel wool and some re-blue stuff.

There are deals to be had out there. Just keep an eye out for a mechanically sound gun. Most of the cosmetic stuff can be fixed for cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Pardon my not saying - Welcome to Shotgun World sooner cubaman504, :oops: My fault.

Whatever you can buy for what you have to spend is a good start. We all started somewhere with whatever was available at the time. There is an article you may want to read about buying a used gun listed below. It has a lot of info.

http://www.remington.com/library/reming ... ed_gun.asp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As the guys said here...
Your best bet new is the Maverick 88 by Mossberg. A guy has one at our local gun club. His gun has taken a beating over the years shooting trap, clays and hunting. I also saw this gun for sale at Walmart for well under $200. The gun only comes with 1 modified choke tube but other tubes are readly availible for cheap money. One can purchase any size choke tubes for these guns to cover any type hunting or target shooting. The shotgun will also chamber a 3-inch magnum shells and as mentioned... Mossberg has just about every type of barrel under the sun availible for these shotguns.

www.maverickarms.com/pages/88field.htm

Welcome & Good Luck..!

Post subject: SHOTGUN UNDER $200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

--

Last edited by JWiley on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:32 am 
Field Grade

Might as well buy the Mossberg 500 over the Maverick since it inlcudes 3 choke tubes.$200 at Walmart. Buy the time you buy choke tubes at $10 a piece your only a few dollars away from a safer shotgun (meaning safety placement)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:19 am 
Presentation Grade

Also the Mossberg has a lifetime warranty, I think the Maverick only has 1 year. I bought the Mossy 500 w/ 28 ported barrel and 3 chokes for $215 OTD at Wal-Mart. Tax might be different where you are but it will be close to that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Djturnz & Goodoleboy, Sold...
You both made very good points for going with the 500 over the Maverick.
I'd go Mossberg 500 if I were Cubaman504.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:09 pm 
Field Grade

I still think you'd be better off looking for a used 870 Express or a used Ithaca M37. I found a M37 16 gauge on an auction site last November for $200. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better pump gun for the money. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:04 pm 
Field Grade

I have a new maverick 88 field from walmart. 175.00
after tax. I really like it. The action is smooth. It came
with a modified choke tube and I just got a improved
cylinder tube from walmart for 12.47.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:26 am 
Presentation Grade

goodoleboy wrote:
your only a few dollars away from a safer shotgun

Poppycock! It's a preference and/or training (experience) issue, not any more or less safe/better/more convenient/etc. I have nothing against Mossbergs but to say their safety is "better" or "safer" is just nonsense! And frankly I'm tired of hearing it! I love opinions... I have one or two myself. Just please don't get them confused with facts. Not trying to be mean here it's just one of my pet peaves. :roll:

OK I'm going back to the basement now to sit in my designated corner and think about what I did.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:42 am 
Field Grade

Mikov wrote:
goodoleboy wrote:
your only a few dollars away from a safer shotgun

Poppycock! It's a preference and/or training (experience) issue, not any more or less safe/better/more convenient/etc. I have nothing against Mossbergs but to say their safety is "better" or "safer" is just nonsense! And frankly I'm tired of hearing it! I love opinions... I have one or two myself. Just please don't get them confused with facts. Not trying to be mean here it's just one of my pet peaves.

Preference! You hit the nail on the head.A safety can not be formally measured as safer or more dangerous its a matter of preference as the user determine what is safer. Of course you know my preference..He asked for opinion and I gave it.

Become left handed and use a Standard crossbolt safety over a tang, then you can tell me which is safer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:09 am 
Presentation Grade

goodoleboy wrote:
Might as well buy the Mossberg 500 over the Maverick since it inlcudes 3 choke tubes.$200 at Walmart. Buy the time you buy choke tubes at $10 a piece your only a few dollars away from a safer shotgun (meaning safety placement)

Let's review. Nowhere in your post do I see the words preference, opinion, like/dislike, etc., etc., etc. All I see are declarative statements posing as facts. While I have no basis for disagreeing with some of your statements, one I can say with absolute certainty is false; and it is the same statement I refuted last time. If you had used conditional modifiers such as "for a left-handed person" or anything that would state intent towards opinion then I would have no problem with your original post. Take another look at your second post. You plainly state that a safety cannot be measured. Three sentences later you ask me to measure it as safer. Furthermore this goes further to prove my initial thoughts about this second post which is that your only intent was to save face by manipulation. Semantics aside, DON'T EVER try a backhanded attempt at an insult by discrediting my qualifications without knowing my qualifications. I know many left handed shooters that do just fine without special equipment or training, my father being one of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:22 am 
Field Grade

Mikov wrote:
goodoleboy wrote:

Let's review. Nowhere in your post do I see the words preference, opinion, like/dislike, etc., etc., etc. All I see are declarative statements posing as facts. While I have no basis for disagreeing with some of your statements, one I can say with absolute certainty is false; and it is the same statement I refuted last time. If you had used conditional modifiers such as "for a left-handed person" or anything that would state intent towards opinion then I would have no problem with your original post. Take another look at your second post. You plainly state that a safety cannot be measured. Three sentences later you ask me to measure it as safer. Furthermore this goes further to prove my initial thoughts about this second post which is that your only intent was to save face by manipulation. Semantics aside, DON'T EVER try a backhanded attempt at an insult by discrediting my qualifications without knowing my qualifications. I know many left handed shooters that do just fine without special equipment or training, my father being one of them.

Foremost, their is manipulation except for my attempts of getting the original poster to buy a better shotgun for a few dollars more. :)

I gave my preference aka Opinion. I dont need to state everytime I write something that XXX it is my preference or fact, that should obvious. A safety cannot be measured like a science, only in an opinion aka preference can it be judged. I hope this is clear enough.

Yes, you can be "trained" to shoot right, buy why go againt the Grain when your body tells you are left handed?As for left handed shooters needing special training..Thats a another things he is going to have to spend money on if he is a left handed shooter. Yeah, you can go to the gunsmith and have the safety "reversed" at added cost. Ive spent many hours at the range through the academy. Shooting as a right handed person and ive qualified. Its stills more natural to shoot left handed.

I dont know your credentials, since it is a post about opinons weather or not this guy should buy which shotguns. Im not going to even ask what your background is. Lets save it for another thread.

Finally, You become ME as a lefty shoot a cross bolt over tang and tell ME what my preference is! When people post what shotgun they should buy, the answer will be mossberg with a tang safety.

Sincerely

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:50 pm 
Field Grade

Go to the gunshops around you and you can find anything. I have seen used mossbergs and 870's under $200. It may be tuff to find screw in chokes in a semi under $200 but newer pumps will be easy. You can find older semi's for under $250 with fixed chokes easy. They may not be the best though. I have bought 2 1100 remingtons for under $250 each one with fixed choke and one with screw in chokes. Why is $200 your limit? You still need to buy other gear and that will add some to your shooting budget. Maybe you can just try to get $300 together and you will be on easy street.