CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: New Shotgun with Soft Recoil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the help, My uncle is still undecided on what to get but very impressed with the feedback. He is eyeing an AL391 Urika Optima, but he said he is going to wait for our first Dove hunt to try a few guns before he drops more money. I guess the SBE broke him of buying a gun becuase the Gun Mags say its the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

:evil: Gun mags will tell you every model ever made is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Good luck with your search. The Berettas are great guns. I shoot a Browning Gold hunter, and just love the recoil reduction in it. Shoot light 7/8 reloads I make as well. Even less recoil! :D

fit IS the most important factor in recoil felt or otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:51 pm 
Field Grade

The Xtrema2 is a very soft shooting gun with or without the Kickoff. I would highly consider it if looking for a gun with low recoil.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Do this:
1. Get a comprehensive list of cylinder bore diameters by gun manufacturer (model) from a company that makes screw-in choke tubes. (2.) Compare the cyl. bores to .729 12ga. cyl. bore diameter. (3.) Find information on the effect bore diameter, especially a tight bore, has on recoil (recoil, patterns, and velocity).

I've read many comments about the Ithaca Model-51 being a soft-shooter, but no explanation as to why. My original Mod-51 has no recoil-reducing gadgets, is a field gun, and still has the original plastic butt plate. I measured the bore with a bore reader and it is precisely .736. That's how it came from the factory when overboring was not in vogue.

I understand the new Remington 105CTi will have a bore size of .735 from the factory in addition to other recoil reducing features.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I just read something on the 105CTi,any one else have any thoughts on this model.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:29 pm 
Crown Grade

I do think the 105CTi will redefine felt recoil for the rest of the industry. Basically a hydraulic system vs spring. Interesting... as this would end the long standing "what has the least felt recoil argument." Makes me smile. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:38 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I had a chance to handle the Remington 105CTi at the Remington Great Eastern. Neat looking, and fit well. Light, and throws up to the shoulder well. No opportunity to shoot it however.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

BayouBuck... I sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bayoubuck, does it have to be able to shoot 3" shells,..why the Extrema II........I have owned and shot them all from Winchester SX 1 to Browning Golds to Beretta 302/303/390/391 to Remingtons.The Remingtons shoot the softest to me,...noticably.... but also break down the most for high volume shooting,mostly the connecting link.Hopefully these new generation Auto's will prove to be more reliable.The Remingtons are softer do to the longer bolt travel extending the recoil to a longer time frame.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

Check out Benneli shotguns for soft recoil.

Post subject: Re: re: New Shotgun with Soft Recoil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

HKGuns wrote:
John3200 wrote:
The softest shooting 12ga shotgun I've ever shot is a Remington 1100 or 11/87.

Beretta and Browning gas guns shoot soft but not as soft as a Remington.

Huh? Have ya ever shot a Beretta? Sometimes ya just gotta wonder if any of these Reminton shooters have ever shot anything else.

I've only owned Remington and Benelli autos but I have tried friends Berettas, Browning Golds and even a couple Winchester Super X1s.

Given guns that weigh the same the Remingtons are the softest shooters.

I'm not taking anything away from the others, I think they are fine guns. Beretta is especially popular with the "Sporting Clays" crowd and I see plenty of them on the skeet field as well. I still see more Remington 1100s on the clay fields as well though. 11/87 target guns are around too but they didn't make target versions for that many years. I had an 11/87 Skeet gun that was wonderful. There was no need for the extra pieces parts in the 11/87 so Remington back peddled a bit and went back to the simpler 1100 for their target guns.

Post subject: Re: re: New Shotgun with Soft Recoil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

BayouBuck wrote:
Thanks for the help, My uncle is still undecided on what to get but very impressed with the feedback. He is eyeing an AL391 Urika Optima, but he said he is going to wait for our first Dove hunt to try a few guns before he drops more money. I guess the SBE broke him of buying a gun becuase the Gun Mags say its the best.

Benellis are the best field auto in my oppinion, I've had 3, 2 M1 Super 90s and a SBE. They all were great. My first 2 got traded off for ficle reasons. I'm a bit more gun stable now so I'll be keeping my current M1 S90. I shoot it well on the clay fields as well but it kicks too much to be a serious target gun.

Recoil in the field where you're not shooting a lot of shells is one thing. Recoil on the clay fields where you're shooting 100s of shells a day is another. After a while the recoil can wear on you and could cause you a target.