CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ANY INPUT ON GAUGE-MATE TUBES??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 am 
Field Grade

I'm looking at buying some gauge-mate tubes to reduce from 12 to 20. Has anyone had experience with this product? Good or bad? I know they have a silver version and a gold version. Golds run about $150.00 a set and the silvers are about half that.
Thanks for your help,
Nantan2

Post subject: re: ANY INPUT ON GAUGE-MATE TUBES??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:59 pm 
Limited Edition

I would suggest you visit uplandjournal.com as there is a post there from a fellow who shoots a lot of starlings. The post is under guns and ammo. Apparently he was shooting what you were thinking about purchasing.

Fred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:59 pm 
Utility Grade

The latest issue of Shooting Sportsman has a short article of a test of Gaugemate tubes, I think there was also someting in the current American Rifleman. An earlier Shooting Sportsman has a run down of all of the current chamber adaptors, I think it was the January-February issue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:18 am 
Limited Edition

I looked at game mate tubes, the tube works back and forth in your chamber to allow you to remove the spent shell, I did not like this as I thought it might creat a wear ring in my chamber. Refering to the article in shooting sportsman if you look at the picture of tubes in the gun you will see they are installed wrong? I thought this was bad press for a magazine of this caliber! I ordered a set of chambermates, thes have an extractor built into the unit, they cost about $250, delivered to your door, lots cheaper than new gun and I think will be alot nicer to use and better on the gun, they have life time guarentee!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:52 am 
Crown Grade

I have a set of the silver ones in 12 to 20 gauge. I suppose they are OK if you don't mind getting your hands black and have a bolt or rod handy to punch out the spent shells. They were just a PITA to me. The Chambermates or Briley Sidekicks are much handier since they have ejectors.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:51 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for all your input on this matter. I will do my homework before purchasing anything. The Chambermates do look very interesting.
Rich :wink:

Post subject: Re: ANY INPUT ON GAUGE-MATE TUBES??
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Bought a set of the silver. I think the price for the gold is ridiculous.

My prpose was to be able to soot 20ga shells in my 16ga SXS. 16shells can be very expensive and hard to find. These things work as well as advertised. Yes they are a bit of a PITA but what do you expect? They pattern good. I recommend these and i would definitly buy these again.

Some folks talk about having to "drive" the empty shell out. I get mine out with a slight push with my little finger :?

Some folks say they have to pry them out of the gun... I think they need to clean and oil their gun properly :shock:

FYI... I am using these in a Savage 311a 16ga SXS