CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are Zabala shotguns well built?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:30 pm 
Field Grade

Hello,
I am new to this site and to sporting clays and have been using a Zabala SXS in 20 gauge that has been in the family for years. I was considering purchasing a CZ-Bobwhite or DeHaan SO, but have been reading a lot of negative reports on their quality. So I have two questions first how do the Zabala’s stack up when used frequently? Second if the CZ and Dehaan are problematic what other brand around there price range would be recommended for high volume use?

Post subject: re: Are Zabala shotguns well built?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Zabala 10 Gauge that operates just fine. Granted, not high volume shooting, but who'd want to be shooting 3.5" roman candles all week anyways? :D

Mike Doerner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Klem,

I have a Zabala that was a wedding present from my wife, so needless to say, it will forever stay in the safe. Zabalas are near the bottom end of quality with respect to the Spanish makers, at least most of the guns you'll find on the used market today. If you are buying new, Zabala, like all European manufacturers make a wide range of quality for different markets, so inspect the individual gun carefully before you buy. They do make some fine pieces on the high end, though.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Zabala's are normally of very poor quality...recently Tristar had them make a side by side that appears well made. When looking at Spanish Gun makers Lanber is by far the best value and their rarely seen 2088, 2098 competiton sporting clays guns are about equal to the entry level sporting clays guns of Browning, Beretta with Lanber having a less crisp and heavier trigger...nothing a gunsmith can't clean up. They handle as well as guns costings thousands more and are much higher in quality than the more common field models 2087, 2097 that most shooters with Lanbers own. In addition they are tanks and will last as long as any "B" gun...no question.

Laurona makes good guns, Kemen are on par with the Perazzi's on build quality and AYA. and Arrieta rival some of the better made doubles out there. SPANISH guns are wonderful, but you hit rock bottom with Zabala...yes they too can make a good gun...but too many poor examples show up in the U.S. that the other manufacturers I mentioned wouldn't allow to leave the factory.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

My dad sold a SxS 20 ga. to my buddy who has probably put 2000 rounds through it since he got it last year.Plain,but very nice looking---appears to be built pretty nicely.Hasn't had one little hiccup as of yet.I've heard both sides on Zabala quality.

Jimmy D