CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PISTOL GRIP vs. STRAIGHT STOCK
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been shooting a pistol grip all my life. If I were to get a shotgun with a staright stock what difficulties could I expect to experience? Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

Hunting With My Brittany Is Like Watching Poetry In Motion.

Post subject: re: PISTOL GRIP vs. STRAIGHT STOCK
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

I find that my right hand (I shoot right handed) has less to do with control of the gun once it's at my shoulder and that I have to shift more of that function to my left hand on the fore end.

It's not a bad thing...just a different thing. Others may not have the same perception at all.

I like an English stock in light field guns in the 5.5-6.25 pound range. Heavier guns...up in the 7-8 pound range just don't seem to balance well for me. That could be nothing more than lack of experience, however.

good luck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

The straight stock causes my hand to be alot less cramped during the end of a hunt.I prefer the straight stock after shooting pistol grip my whole life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

Funny, I like them both. I really prefer the straight stock for upland hunting when a lot of walking is involved and I feel more at the ready while approaching birds held on point.
I like a pistol grip when hunting from a stand or in a blind.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Straight stocks (without pistol grips) were originally designed to promote the switch from the front to the back trigger on older double guns. They also allowed easier cocking of the double hammars without completely destroying the grip on the stock.

At the time they were first designed, Shooters wore stiff, tall collars and the shooting form used was very different than it is today. Stocks were much more crooked, meaning that a 4" drop at the heel was not uncommon. (Today it is well under 2".)

Although straight grips are more comfortable for some, they offer considerably less control of of the gun with the trigger hand. As a result, the forward hand must do more work when less work is the goal.

Straight stocks can also lead to inconsistent hand-placement distances from the trigger. As a result, the delay of the gun's firing after the decision to fire has been made can also be inconsistent, which can affect the lead on a target.

http://stockfitting.virtualave.net

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:08 am 
Diamond Grade

I have shot pistol grip stocks all of my life, but bought a Ruger Red Label 12 gauge with a straight English style stock and my shooting/ handling were improved greatly.
The straight stock gives me perfect balance and I can mount faster than I ever could before.
For upland hunting I would not be without an English stock.
At first I had my concerns but it only took one day in the field to make me a convert to the straight English style stock.
I suppose it depends on the individual and the firearm but the RRL in English is deadly on upland birds for me. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:39 am 
Tournament Grade

i like both.

i like the ergonomics of a normal stock.

but i also love the recoil adj. on my knoxx spec ops.

its a give and take.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:30 am 
Limited Edition

20 years ago I bought a 20 ga BPS Upland Special with an english stock, having shot and loved a 12 ga BPS for a few years. I loved the feel of the gun, as it was much more comfortable to carry in the field.

But I couldn't hit crap. I found my mount was much more sloppy with the english stock compared to a pistol grip stock. After a couple of years, including a fair amount of practice, hitting outweighed comfort & weight, and the Upland Special left in a trade.

I've learned a lot about stock fit and shooting in the intervening years. I suspect the problem was both due to stock fit, as well as the aforementioned potential for inconsistent grip and control issues once mounted.

But I've never tried again. I shoot a lot better now and am happy doing virtually all my pheasant/quail hunting with a 28 ga Ruger...with a pistol grip stock. Backup is a 20 ga Beretta 391 youth. Both weigh 6 lbs and have very slim receivers and stocks that I find very comfortable to tote for hours on end and still hit with.

Post subject: Re: re: PISTOL GRIP vs. STRAIGHT STOCK
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:57 am 
Limited Edition

[quote="Rollin Oswald"]Straight stocks (without pistol grips) were originally designed to promote the switch from the front to the back trigger on older double guns.

I don't agree with this statement. Your hand never moves when switching from the front trigger to the back. Just the tip of your finger should be on the front trigger. You simply drop your finger back to fire the rear trigger.

Post subject: Re: PISTOL GRIP vs. STRAIGHT STOCK
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:41 am 
Crown Grade

bobeyerite wrote:
I have been shooting a pistol grip all my life. If I were to get a shotgun with a staright stock what difficulties could I expect to experience? Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

Probably none. Most of your control comes from the hand on the forearm. Personally, I think a SXS with a straight grip is about the best looking shotgun ever designed, but I have a slight preference for a pistol grip when it comes to shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have touble hunting with a straight-grip stock. I never get my hand in the same place twice, and then fumble to find the trigger. This situation does however provide a built-in excuse for missing. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Mark posted ...
Quote:
This situation does however provide a built-in excuse for missing
And boy do we all need some of that from time to time!

In common with some other forum members, I use both and find them equally useful; they complement each other rather than compete.

The straight hand stock on a lightweight SxS is just about the fastest handling gun you will ever use, nothing gets you "into the bird" quicker so it's an ideal choice for upland game shooting. For more deliberate stuff whether it be clays or geese, I find a pistol grip (on a 391) comfortable and convenient.

Get both!

Eug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:37 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I've got a half dozen "dyed in the wool" S/S shooters as customers that I shoot with occassionally. These guys shoot Clays every week with their S/S's. I've watched them shoot very closely, and everyone of them DO slide their grip back for the second trigger. It's not much, they even denied it, until they started watching each other.

I don't care for having only a couple of fingers wrapped around the grip while shooting. With a pistol grip, my trigger arm, wrist, and hand, stay in a more natural position.

I've seen shooters shooting straight grips with their elbows "jacked" way up just to get their "ring finger" and "pinky" around the grip. It's just not a natural, comfortable feeling.

info@dougsgunsmithshop.com
www.dougsgunsmithshop.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Concerning control of the gun, according to McIntosh, and from my experience, control should be in the front hand. I believe I've read the same from Zutz and a couple of others.
I don't really buy the hand moving to switch triggers either, at least it shouldn't. GunDr, have you observed this in shooters with half or full hand grips? I'm going to a SxS sporting clays shoot, near Mitchell,IN., tomorrow. I'll certainly be watching, though now I'll probably be thinking about it so much I'll be thrown off. :)
There's also the theory about a straight gripped stock putting both hands on the same plain, when using a splinter forend, thus pointing more naturally. While this may be true, I think practice can make most any gun point well. Comfort probably being more critical.
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:48 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Jim,

It all boils down to personal preference. If we all were the same. life would suck!! :x

Some feel they shoot better; others may just like the looks. I like the look on some guns.

I think with a pistol grip stock, your hand and wrist are positioned in a way that a hand slide would not be neccessary. There's a little more room to negotiate the trigger finger move.

To confirm your statement about practice....yes! Start with a low gun and slowly raise to mount the gun. You should feel the bottom of the grip rotate forward, around your middle finger. This will help maintain your wrist in it's natural straight position. Just don't attempt to try and grip the straight stock with a full fist. The last two fingers of your hand aren't really gripping anything. This will alow a quick mount without getting "bound up" as the gun hits your shoulder.

info@dougsgunsmithshop.com
www.dougsgunsmithshop.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:44 pm 
Limited Edition

I agree with the love-hate relationship with straight stocks. To each their own.

My particular issue with a straight stock was that I felt a distinct lack of control in mounting the stock to my cheek and consequently, did not have good consistency in eye-rib alignment. I've shot low gun on both skeet and trap exclusively for over a decade and am much more confident with a pistol grip stock.

Then again, it could just be my problem!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I took the straight stock gun to the trap range today and tried it. I shot a pair of 19's with it. I am satisified that the misses were my fault as I trying to shoot them as I would with my regular gun. As you know in some cases it just don't work that way.

I want to thank all of you for your imput and I think when I get this gun in the field I'll be happy with it. Thank you all again, I do appreciate your imput.

Hunting With My Brittany Is Like Watching Poetry In Motion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:40 pm 
Limited Edition

FWIW, I've been shooting a straight stocked O/U (Browning Superlight) for 26 years. I'm not sure a straight stock necessarily has any more merit than a prince of wales or full pistol grip. I would guess that it really comes down to what feels right. A straight grip feels totally natural to me, but is that because it's what I'm accustom to, or because it simple suits me better? Who knows?

I don't think there's any real resolution to this question you've posed. It's all going to boil down to Perception = Reality. :D

If it feels good and right, then what else matters?

NRA Life Member
MetroCarolina Friends of NRA