CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca shotgun identification and value
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi,
Many years ago, I asked for and was given my Grandpa's double barrel shotgun. I wanted it as a momento of the man, did not really care about it's value. Now I heard through the family grapevine that one of my cousins wants to know who got Grandpa's gun, because he saw one "just like it" at a show and it was worth $10,000!!! I want to put a stop to this B.S. before it goes any farther. That's why I am asking your help in a bit of an appraisal of the gun. I am not interested in selling it, but I also don't want family members thinking that I got some sort of a treasure. The gun is a double barrel Ithaca, 16 gauge, I think. I found the serial number under one of the barrels, and the same number on the metal part that the barrel closes down on. The number is 349032. I always assumed it was probably worth a couple of hundred bucks. Sentimental value is why I wanted it. What can you tell me about Grandpa's gun? Thanks a lot. Al (forgot to mention, this was his shooting gun, not a museum piece. It is not banged up, but has the wear you would expect of a "working gun")

Post subject: re: Ithaca shotgun identification and value
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:06 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Your "couple hundred bucks" is much closer than your cousin's $10.000. Your gun is a 1921 Flues model. In the condition you describe, worth no more than $400. It sounds like your cousin and the show dealer, have equal knowledge of shotguns.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:01 am 
Crown Grade

Good morning Al: Well a couple of hundred to $10,000. it really doesn't make much difference it's your gun now!

I don't have a lot on Ithaca's but according to your serial number the gun was made in 1920. Now you haven't given us much to go on here. During this time frame they came in Field Grade, No.1,2,3, 4E,5E and 6E (E means ejectors), also in 1920 if it's a 16ga it could have 2 9/16 chambers. 2 3/4 really didn't become standard until the late 20s to early 30s.

Chances are you have a Field Grade, but as you go up in grades, the get more and more engraving, nicer wood for the stocks, better finish. Now if you remove the barrels from the frame, and list what's stamped on the bottom of the barrels, plus the flat area of the frame the barrels rest on when closed, that will tell us a lot more.

Now just because it was your grandfathers, (working) gun, during the depression some fantastic guns sold cheap!! Right after WWII SxS were being given away almost because people wanted Semi-autos and pumps.

In 1965 a friend of the family picked up a Ithaca 4E 16ga for $100. from an old farmer. I remember holding it like it was yeaterday, very beautiful gun and great balance. It became Clyde's pheasant gun, (another working gun) LOL.

So get back to us with all the detail and info you can supply.

Regards Dave

Last edited by only winchesters on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

On the water table (the flats the barrels rest on when the gun is closed), immediately after the serial number, the letter "F"
may appear. If so, this is a Field grade gun and all speculation as to value becomes moot. If there is a number, let us know.

Congratulations on 1) Having Grandads gun 2) Having a Flues and 3) Knowing how to spell Ithaca

Best, 'Lonzo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Guys,
Thankyou all for taking the time to respond... it has been very interesting for me to learn a little about this gun.

Tonight I finally sat down to see if I could figure out how this comes apart... turns out it's not that complicated (but you guys already knew that!). Here's what I found:

The flat area on the underside of the barrels had the serial number 349062 (in my first post I wrote the number was 3490three2. My mistake). The flat area that the barrels rest on when closed had the serial number on one side, and "S" and "16" on the other side. I'm guessing the 16 refers to the gauge, no idea what the S means. The metal part of the wooden front stock has "S", then the same serial number, then a little farther away is the letter "F". So I would guess that is the "field grade" designation, and seals the deal, so to speak.

That's fine with me... I still like the feeling of holding a little piece of personal history. And though I don't know very much about guns in general, I have to say that this gun has a real nice feel to it when you hold it. I'm glad I have it.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Al

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:44 am 
Diamond Grade

Al...good luck with that little treasure! I'm fortunate enough to have my great grandfather's shotgun so have a sense of that family history you feel when you hold your grandpa's shotgun!