CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noble 60D
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:54 pm 
Utility Grade

My uncle just gave me a a 60D (16 gauge) for my birthday but I've never heard of Noble. I brought it to a shop to get some shells and the guy said "wow, that's like 50 years old" but that's all he said. Anybody have any information on Nobles or maybe a link? I'm just curious to see if it's a decent gun and some random info on it.

Thanks guys! -Sam

Post subject: re: Noble 60D
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Also, this is my first gun (I'm 19) and will be taking a hunter's safety class beginning on Sept; what can you shoot with a 16 gauge? I live in Vermont, if that matters.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to Shotgunworld :D Congrats on the new shotgun :D You can shoot just about whatever moves with the right loads. Dove, Quail, Pheasant, Deer, Grouse, Rabbit, Squirrel, Goose, Ducks. You do need to select loads, Though. I would shoot 5's at Pheasant. Rabbit, and Squirrel, 7 1/2 on Dove, Quail, and Grouse, Steel or Bismuth or Hevi Shot 2's, 4's or BB at Ducks and Geese and Buckshot or Slugs at deer :D

BT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

SaM: Yep that Noble is close to 50 years old, I have a 12 ga pump my wife gave ne as a gift as a 1st anniversary gift! (we're celebrating 46 this year!)
It broke on me a couple of years ago the pump thread stripped I couldnt bear to throw it away so I bought the parts and repaired it, still shoots well!

Anyway, I did a little reasearch on Noble, they were around in the late 50s for a awhile then went under, I think the guns are worth about $100-$150. Parts are still available thru Numerich along with a parts breakdown.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Regards

Ray

The guns were simply "working" guns in there day, not especially popular, my wife bought it nail order from a dept store in Manhattan, she had no idea what she was buying just knew I wanted a pump shotgun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies! And congrats on the anniversary willi!

I bought 8 shot today for clay shooting and such to get ready to hunt.

I went to a shop for the bullets and brought my gun and the guy there said I shouldn't shoot Steel shots or Slugs with it. I'm not sure if he meant because it's old or because it has the wrong choke on it? I'd LOVE to be able to shoot slugs, so how might I go about changing the choke (if that's the case).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sam:

That 60D probably came with a Mod choke, when I got mine the only markings were on the box, no place on the gun. You need to measure the barrel opening to determine the choke thats machined into the gun. To have the barrel modifed to to take a choke may be a tad expensive for that gun. I'd ask the guy who recommended not using steel shot or slugs about the cost of machining that barrel, have a chat with the gunsmith at your local Gander Mountain, or local gunsmith.

I dont know your background by that I mean age, economics, what you're primary use of the gun is for and so forth. I gather you want an all around gun for hunting, occasional trap sporting clays and a deer gun.

I'd tend to look for a Mossberg that has a slug barrel and a smooth bore. Used are relativly inexpensive.

I just dont know the answer to your questions, I've not hunted in over 30 years. I used slugs when I first got into hunting and was amazed at how hard the deer died when I shot him with a 12ga slug. vs a 35 rem core loc.

My best advice is "ask, ask ask"!

Best of luck and good shooting

Regards

Ray

Post subject: Re: re: Noble 60D
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:43 am 
Utility Grade

williray4 wrote:
Sam:

That 60D probably came with a Mod choke, when I got mine the only markings were on the box, no place on the gun. You need to measure the barrel opening to determine the choke thats machined into the gun. To have the barrel modifed to to take a choke may be a tad expensive for that gun. I'd ask the guy who recommended not using steel shot or slugs about the cost of machining that barrel, have a chat with the gunsmith at your local Gander Mountain, or local gunsmith.

I dont know your background by that I mean age, economics, what you're primary use of the gun is for and so forth. I gather you want an all around gun for hunting, occasional trap sporting clays and a deer gun.

I'd tend to look for a Mossberg that has a slug barrel and a smooth bore. Used are relativly inexpensive.

I just dont know the answer to your questions, I've not hunted in over 30 years. I used slugs when I first got into hunting and was amazed at how hard the deer died when I shot him with a 12ga slug. vs a 35 rem core loc.

My best advice is "ask, ask ask"!

Best of luck and good shooting

Regards

Ray

Hey there; I went to a shop and asked about the choke; it's a permanent full choke.

To answer your questions, I'm 19 and simply got this gun as a random birthday present from a crazy uncle. I've never really had any desire to hunt; I much prefer sailing, squash, golf, etc. Now that I have it though, I have this great urge to get into hunting. For this fall/winter, after my safety course, I will be concentrating on not shooting anybody/not getting shot, getting some birds (hopefully a turkey!) and just having fun with my friends who are going to bring me hunting.

Thanks again for the replies, I'm very excited to learn more about hunting.

-Sam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I went to shoot with my buddy today and shot my first 20 shells! We forgot the clays but had tons of soda bottles in the car. I hit every single one he threw! (about 12) and then shot his 12 gauge with 3 1/2 inch shells and earned myself a big ol' bruise on my shoulder. It was sooo much fun. I can't wait to take the course in sept and go hunting with him.

Found out that the gun was my great grandfather's and it's the one my dad used to shoot when he was in high school. Pretty cool eh?