CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "THE HUNTER" 12 gauge shotgun
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I have picked up another "wall hanger". This one is a 12 gauge, left side of the gun is stamped "THE HUNTER", single shot brakeover. Brake over lever is behind hammer, serial number of 15256 located on bottom of barrel under the wood. No other visible markings on the metal. Anybody know who made "THE HUNTER" or a time frame? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: "THE HUNTER" 12 gauge shotgun
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:27 pm 
Crown Grade

A bit of a mystery on this one but I think you have a ZULU type shotgun. A ZULU type shotgun is an old military muzzle loader musket that was transformed into a shotgun by cutting off the breech end, fitting a new pivoting breech block and bending over the hammer to stripe the new firing pin. Most of these guns were created in Belgium and France in the late 1800s and very early 1900s. Sears Roebuck had them listed in their catalog as late as 1910 for $3.00 each. The guns were intended for sale to natives in Africa hence the name ZULU. The reference for a gun with the name (THE) HUNTER in my reference book says that the name was used on guns converted by Fabrique D'Armes Reunies a Belgian gun maker from 1880 to 1919.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Once again, thanks for the info Ned. I still can't get any photos on here, but the hammer doesn't appear to have been bent in any fashion, seems to have been made into the trigger mechanism. However, it is a good story to tell along with the gun itself. Late 1800's, early 1900's?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

By the way, there was little regard for the safety of Africans. Those guns should not be shot with ANY ammo for ANY reason.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31 am 
Utility Grade

I hear that. Sounds like they were just "slapped together". I have no intention of even attempting to fire it. I have a log cabin so I'm collecting old shotguns for wall decor. I just like to get as much info as possible on them to know what I have got. By the way, if you know of any place to get old double or single barrel shotguns, firing or not as long as they are in good shape, at bargain prices let me know. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Already have given you all the information I have on the gun. Yes, the gun is unsafe to shoot using modern ammunition. For old guns go to Gun Broker. The have all kinds of listings for guns and parts. Might advise that you also apply for a Federal Firearms Collector of Curios And Relics license.