CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "left handed" shotgun
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I am new to this sport and I'm a total southpaw.
Anyone ever heard of a "left handed" shotgun, one that ejects the shell out of the left side?
If so where can I find info?

Post subject: re: "left handed" shotgun
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes, left handed guns are available. I believe the 11-87 Remington has a left handed model. Do some searching, there are many others who offer a left handed option.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:46 am 
Presentation Grade

There are also some guns that eject shells out the bottom (and are therefore suitable for either hand). I'm not exactly sure which models do this though. (I think Browning BPS's do)

On a personal note, I've shot left-handed with a right-handed gun for a number of years, and the ejecting shells have never bothered me.

Post subject: Re: "left handed" shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

geomon wrote:
I am new to this sport and I'm a total southpaw.
Anyone ever heard of a "left handed" shotgun, one that ejects the shell out of the left side?
If so where can I find info?

Both Browning and Ithaca pumps are bottom load/eject and work well for southpaws.
Remington make a whole line of lefty stuff: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/left-Hand/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would try a bottom eject gun first. The should have a higher resale value versus a left-hand model.
John

Unless it's from those on the Left.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=85318

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"
NSSA #165694
Bud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:07 pm 
Field Grade

The Remmy 870 has a lefty version. I have the 870 in southpaw and love it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:08 am 
Limited Edition

Just as you have a dominant hand, you also have a dominant eye. You need to aim with the dominant eye for the most accurate shooting. Usually your dominant eye is the same as your dominant hand, but not always. There are ways to get around this and use your non-dominant eye including closing one eye or obstructing its view with a patch or a dot on your glasses. However, this reduces your field of vision and removes your depth perception.

To determine your dominant eye:
  1. Form a triangular opening with your thumb and forefingers.
  2. Stretch your arms out infront of you.
  3. With both eyes open, focus on a distant object while looking through the triangular opening.
  4. Bring your hands slowly to your face, keeping sight of the object through the opening. The opening will naturally come to your dominant eye.

If you're not sure, close one eye at a time. The weak eye will see the back of your hand, and the strong one will be focused on the object in the triangle.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt