CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Barrel slug barrel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I was browsing through the new cabelas catalog and noticed a new product listed called American Barrel slug barrel it is made by Badger barrel company the twist is 1 in 26" supposed to work with the faster sabot slug. It seems to be priced right to. Just might have to pick one up for my Remington 870. What do you guys think of this.

Post subject: re: American Barrel slug barrel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Last edited by jcchartboy on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

It sounds like maybe ohboy1 will volunteer to test it out and give us a report. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rumor has it that Badger Barrels has been quietly making rifled slug barrels for "the big guys" for a long time, so it should not surprise anybody who's on the inside that Ernie has made a deal with Cabela to supply them the same thing he's been making for years, just changing the twist rate to "update" and avoid a conflict with his current customers.

Of course this is being touted as the new answer to everything, because Cabela has to SELL the things if they are to be any use to them at all. Badger has built customs for about anybody willing to pony up enough bucks, and on a volume deal the prices are pretty decent.

We know of a few fellows whose custom Badger shotgun barrels were lots closer to $1,000.00 than to the $200.00 or so that Cabela is looking to charge, so they must have agreed to buy a cartload of them, or it may be that the faster twist will be this season's new big "surprise" offer from some of the big guys.

Truth be told, there are a lot of big brand 1:28 barrels around that came out of Stallman's shop, and if you look closely at lots of one-off big game rifles made by famous gunsmiths, you are likely to find the EP or BB initials somewhere just out of sight on their barrels too. Probably H&R/NEF grinds off the Badger Barrel marking on their guns during assembly......... :lol:

Anyway, this small family owned Company makes an excellent product, and can be the difference between "winner" and "not."

What that's worth is pretty much up to the fellow putting up the bucks and specifying the exact design direction and dimensions he thinks will give him the last winning edge.

Remember, the twist rate is one factor. There are lots of others that may be just as important, if not more so, for your particular application.

100% SlugShooting, 100% Of The Time - Making a bigger up-close Impression than a .50 BMG

Post subject: Re: re: American Barrel slug barrel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:33 am 
Diamond Grade

OneInchGroup wrote:
you are likely to find the EP or BB initials somewhere just out of sight on their barrels too. Probably H&R/NEF grinds off the Badger Barrel marking on their guns during assembly......... :lol:

:)

For what it's worth, H&R told me they button rifle their own barrels...

Quote:
Anyway, this small family owned Company makes an excellent product, and can be the difference between "winner" and "not."

What that's worth is pretty much up to the fellow putting up the bucks and specifying the exact design direction and dimensions he thinks will give him the last winning edge.

Remember, the twist rate is one factor. There are lots of others that may be just as important, if not more so, for your particular application.

OIG, I just read your last post in the ROT thread prior to reading this. I agree with the ROT post 150%, that ROT is A factor and all things being equal a faster twist should give more accuracy potential with a wide range of ammo.

That said, since you feel these guys put out a quality product, it would seem that there is an excellent chance some of the quality control issues you mentioned in the other post were addressed in this barrel and the likelyhood of consistent accuracy may be there?

Of course this doesn't address your concerns with sabot quality, but that's another issue :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:17 am 
Presentation Grade

First, H&R may very well be "finishing" barrels at their shop, perhaps even including the button rifling, as lots of folks do, but you could win a bet or two hanging around the loading dock when the barrel blanks arrive........ :wink:

As to the other issues, it all gets back to a systematic precision approach to the problem. Some of the factors mentioned are only an issue in a minority of situations. Others are in the make or break category. The more you know, and the more you can control, the better you are going to be.

For example, the Badger Barrel is going to be far and away more accurately machined than almost any production run units simply because they are precision made by folks who do not recognize "Production Tolerances" as any part of the language of barrel making. If you order up a Badger Barrel with a .726" bore and a 3.925" chamber depth and a flat step chamber to barrel transition, the unit you get will hit those sizes EXACTLY, not +/- .005 to .008 like a production barrel. That's why Badger has trophys for contests like the S. Africa Quigley competition on their wall, and others just wish they did.

The issues still remain though, like bore versus sabot diameter, correct chamber sizing for your particular hull, whether or not to pin the barrel to the receiver or to glass bed the barrel on a bolt action gun or "float" it, etc. etc. The ultimate shooter in slug competition is going to be that same guy you see in the 1000 yard high power rifle contests, the guy who starts with a specific shell and load that he may have hand made himself, and who then builds a complete shooting system out from that. Almost nobody has the patience, the skills, or the time to go to the extremes that he will, and so he will always win in the end.

Better to set a goal you will accept as ..."best I can expect with reasonable effort" and once you get there, decide if you want to make the further effort to reach the next level, or if you are happy where you are.

100% SlugShooting, 100% Of The Time - Making a bigger up-close Impression than a .50 BMG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:09 am 
Diamond Grade

OneInchGroup:
You post made the most sense of about any I've read!
Thank you for that.
I shoot a smoothbore Mossy 500 and inexpensive K.O. slugs.
Why? Because I can.
I can shoot for an average of .56 cents a shot and get accuracy of 2.24 to 3" at 50 and about the same at 75.
I hunt locally in Ohio, shots are almost always under 50 yards.
My standards of expectations from a smooth bore with inexpensive, but good ammo, are exactly what the shooting platform will perform to.
I've taken over 50 Ohio whitetail, all but 7 with a shotgun/slug, and of those all but two were with a smoothbore and fosters.
Only once did I see a trophy buck out of range of my smoothbore rigs.
A HUGE buck at over 200 yards strutting his heavy hat with absolute impunity. :(
The smoothie will do the job 95% of the time.
But! It's that 5%, the once in a lifetime trophy, that is making me search for the ultimate factory made slug shooting marvel that might make a 200 yard shot doable.
I guess I'm gonna have to eat the expense and yield to the fact that I must pay 14 bucks for 5 boolits. :? :? :? :?

Post subject: Re: re: American Barrel slug barrel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

jeager106 wrote:
OneInchGroup:
You post made the most sense of about any I've read!
Thank you for that.
I shoot a smoothbore Mossy 500 and inexpensive K.O. slugs.
Why? Because I can.
I can shoot for an average of .56 cents a shot and get accuracy of 2.24 to 3" at 50 and about the same at 75.
I hunt locally in Ohio, shots are almost always under 50 yards.
My standards of expectations from a smooth bore with inexpensive, but good ammo, are exactly what the shooting platform will perform to.
I've taken over 50 Ohio whitetail, all but 7 with a shotgun/slug, and of those all but two were with a smoothbore and fosters.
Only once did I see a trophy buck out of range of my smoothbore rigs.
A HUGE buck at over 200 yards strutting his heavy hat with absolute impunity. :(
The smoothie will do the job 95% of the time.
But! It's that 5%, the once in a lifetime trophy, that is making me search for the ultimate factory made slug shooting marvel that might make a 200 yard shot doable.
I guess I'm gonna have to eat the expense and yield to the fact that I must pay 14 bucks for 5 boolits. :? :? :? :?

Some of the best performers in factory sabots are more like $8.00 - $9.00 a box, or reloading can get you down in the $1.00 a shot realm pretty easily. No reason to get all crazy in the ammo department. ASSA members can point you to the right recipes, since lots of our folks do this routinely.