CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belgium Browning A-5 with a BLACK TRIGGER??
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:34 am 
Recently purchased a Belgium made browning and to my surprise it doesn't have the Gold Trigger. Is this good or bad? I thought they all had gold triggers. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Belgium Browning A-5 with a BLACK TRIGGER??
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

The gold trigger was standard on Sweet Sixteens and I believe available as an option. I've seen way more with the black trigger than the gold...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I have seen just the opposite - all my a-5s, both 12s and 20s, plus those I looked at while shopping, have the gold trigger and I thought the occasional non-gold trigger (usually on a magnum) was an oddity.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Are yours Belgian or Japanese?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

All the Belgium A5's I have looked at have gold triggers.....huuuh....crazy!!!

Jab.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:59 pm 
Crown Grade

looking around the auction sites at A-5's there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the trigger color . There are black ones, gold ones, and a few with no color or plating at all. Seems more like they were put in on whims... I'm going to pose the question to the Browning Historian.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:32 am 
Tournament Grade

MarlandS wrote:
I'm going to pose the question to the Browning Historian.....

Touche...MarlandS...Touche!!!!!

Jab.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a "Sweet 16" that has a plain, non-plated, trigger. I would also be very much interested in the response from Browning. I would also like to know its date of manufacturing. The serial number is 911xx, plain barrel, FN, 2 3/4. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Flatlander ... if that's all there is to your serial, then it's 1938 or so.

Really? An actually marked "Sweet Sixteen " without the gold plating??? You sure the trigger wasn't replaced?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The more I try to learn about the Browning A-5's, the more I realize that there are very few carved in stone rules. I have a friend who, years ago, got his hands on a good number of a shipment of 1,200 A-5's that were brought into England from the Middle East. He and his buddies would fix up the repairable ones, use the others for parts, and sell the end product. At any rate, he said he saw all kinds of what we would consider oddities. Light 12's not marked as such. Different stock configurations from the same serial lots,etc. He also showed me an old catlogue which showed A-5's with many special order options. One of which was the option of having the muzzle end rifled, in other words an A-5 Paradox. He said he'd never seen one, but I think that if the option was offered, some were probably manufactured. I realize that what hit the American market probably had some uniformity, but after learning this type of stuff, nothing would surprise me.
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Marylands: I appreciate the responce, yes it is possible that the trigger was replaced. The overall condition of the gun is very good (90-95). I will get the trigger replaced. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:22 pm 
I have a Browning A5 with a gold trigger that I bought in 1985 for about 600.00 back then. I am windering what they are worth these days. I might be looking to sell.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:22 pm 
I have a Browning A5 with a gold trigger that I bought in 1985 for about 600.00 back then. I am windering what they are worth these days. I might be looking to sell.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Originally the gold triggers were on the Light versions of all gauges. The Standard and Magnums had black triggers. Many of the older front safety guns had the trigger group changed to the rear safety useually with the gold trigger. And there was a lot of "Hay while you got it apart put me one of them gold triggers in there" Then in the later years anything was subject to have a gold trigger in it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:55 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Many(most) of the standard weight A5s were supplied with blued triggers. Gold triggers were suppiled with the Lightweights as a standard configuration. However, as someone said,many blued triggers were replaced with gold plated ones by smiths and Browning did many special order guns back before the 70s so gold triggers were common on all models.

I have several versions:

A 1963 12ga Std Weight that I ordered new. It came with a blued trigger and a factory PolyChoke(no mark on barrel),VR.

A 1938 Sweet Sixteen with VR and Blued trigger.

A 1939 FN A5 12ga with Nazi stamps and a plain Cyl. barrel. Blue trigger.

A 1936 12ga with an old style gold trigger group. High grade gun. I feel this was added in 1950-51 by a Browning jobber in Peoria,IL. Not sure.

Two Superlights with blue annodised trigger groups. My buddy just bought one with a polished aluminum trigger group. I think most of the superlights had polished aluminum. Mine are European delivered guns.

As far as an A5 paradox goes... heard of them but not seen one. A reliable person that I know once saw a 12ga solid rib barrel that was marked full(*) and had crude rifling for about the last 6" that he did not attribute to a Browning factory barrel.

Sorry, I have wandered.Most Browning A5s were sent to us with gold triggers. Most anything is possible. Even saw a platnum plated trigger once that was on a platnum inlaid gun that was done by Hermann Groulche.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Dad has a late 1940's A5 with no hint of gold on the blued-steel trigger...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a pre 1960 vintage Sweet 16 with a plain trigger and what looks to be a factory Polychoke, (no rib). The safety is on the front of the trigger guard. I'll have to pull the serial number to get it dated but the gun has been in the family and is about 99%. No reason to think the trigger has ever been replaced.

APEXDUCK