CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA Laws on shotguns
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:11 am 
Utility Grade

I know that CA laws are the most strict in the union, so can someone provide some insight as to what I can and cant own in CA?
Thanks all.

Post subject: re: CA Laws on shotguns
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:11 am 
Tournament Grade

California DOJ Firearms Division Page
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:07 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the link. I have looked there but it doesnt say much in way of shotguns or I just get dizzy trying to sift through it.
Most people that I know that have a bit of knowledge on the laws only know about AR's or pistols but fuzzy on shotgun laws.
I am just wondering if pistol grips are allowed, any cap on magazine cap., what features can and cant be included.

With CA you never know whats new since its constantly changing enviornment for gun owners.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

if u own a pump gun...theres no limit to what u can do...dont quote me on that since laws are changing but u should be ok.

its the semi auto guns that have the restrictions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

To ease your search go to the above site and use their search feature...type in the word "shotgun" and all relative laws with the word will be found. Still quite a bit of reading, but its all related to shotguns...

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Ca. laws on shotguns are more liberal than handguns; for example, as long as the shotgun is not loaded you can even display it on your back window of your truck, I wouldn't do something like that because the cops would pull you over in a heart beat just to see what the hell your up too, go figure. A handgun in your car must be locked in a case in your trunk, with the ammo in the car away from the gun. Also, you can buy a shotgun without any limits ( as many as you want), whereas A handgun only once a month. All this after the 10 day waiting period, and the state fees of $35.00.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:19 pm 
Utility Grade

As long as you don't go over your 10 shell capacity limit, and keep your barrel at 18" or above, and entire gun at at least 26", you are fine with a pump shotgun.

With semi-auto's, no pistol grip. That is all I can think of right now.

Post subject: Re: re: CA Laws on shotguns
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:44 pm 
Utility Grade

TYLORD wrote:
As long as you don't go over your 10 shell capacity limit, and keep your barrel at 18" or above, and entire gun at at least 26", you are fine with a pump shotgun.

With semi-auto's, no pistol grip. That is all I can think of right now.

I think pistol grip is ok as long as there is a plug to limit the gun to 3 rounds....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

No pistol grips on semi autos anymore (like benelli super90) 3 rounds or 8 rounds does not matter.

Post subject: Re: re: CA Laws on shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:38 pm 
duckmart wrote:
A handgun in your car must be locked in a case in your trunk, with the ammo in the car away from the gun.

That's incorrect. The trunk is just one possibility. See here:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php?PH ... 4848515a45

You can have an unloaded handgun in a locked container anywhere in your car. You just have to make sure ammo is not in the same locked container, and the locked container can't be your glove box or utility box. The ammo does not have to be locked. For example, you can have your unloaded pistol in the following pistol rug padlocked sitting underneath the driver seat while loaded and unlocked magazines are in the center console:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2382.php

Check out www.calccw.com for discussions of pistol carry options.

Shotguns do not have to be locked up but have to be unloaded.

Last edited by jakemccoy on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:06 am 
Tournament Grade

As it states per Ca. a trunk of a car is a locked container so it does not have to be locked in its own box too.

Post subject: Re: CA Laws on shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:55 pm 
Utility Grade

richmds wrote:
I know that CA laws are the most strict in the union, so can someone provide some insight as to what I can and cant own in CA?
Thanks all.

well you for sure can't own this http://www.policesupplyonline.com/coarcomaar22.html