CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 28 gage Silver Pigeon ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Good Morning:

Is the Beretta SP 28 gage made on a true 28 gage frame or is it made on a 28 gage frame?

TIA,

Franchi

Post subject: re: Beretta 28 gage Silver Pigeon ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:08 am 
Diamond Grade

Yes it is.

http://www.berettausa.com/product/produ ... s_main.htm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:47 am 

Beautiful guns too. Been wanting one myself. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:49 am 
Diamond Grade

even more beautiful in the EL model..........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Be careful. Some of Beretta's 28 gauge guns are built on a 20 ga receiver, and some are on a 28/.410 receiver. From the web site: "The 686 Covey, 687 EL, 687 EELL, Silver Pigeon III, Silver Pigeon V, and as of 2005 the Silver Pigeon S shipped in either 28 or 410 gauge configurations are built on a small scaled receiver". Other 28 gauges (Silver Pigeon II, for example) are on the 20 ga receiver.

I have an older 20/28 ga 2-barrel set (on the 20 ga receiver,of course) and I don't think I would want a 28 ga on a scaled receiver. Even though I like slim, light guns, I think a scaled 28 would be too small and light to handle well.

Post subject: Re: re: Beretta 28 gage Silver Pigeon ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
I have an older 20/28 ga 2-barrel set (on the 20 ga receiver,of course) and I don't think I would want a 28 ga on a scaled receiver. Even though I like slim, light guns, I think a scaled 28 would be too small and light to handle well.

I have a SPII 20/28 2-barrel set, also on the 20 gauge receiver, and I also think the scaled receiver 28 would be too small for me. It might be a joy to carry but I think it would be too light and whippy for good shooting. Of course, I'm 6'3" and 190# which might influence my feelings.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Flychamps,
I am like you just a inch shorter. The SP II Combo for me is as light and whippy as I need to go. Recently bought a DeHaan S2 in 28ga on the 28 reciever and have to watch myself with it as it is so light and whippy. Love the little SxS but having to make some adjustment to the small whippy size. Ever get it down pat the quail better watch out!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

real interesting discussion, so do you ever base the purchasae of a gun on weight? some brownings are close to 8 lbs, while their beretta counterparts are just under seven, is it just the manufacturer?quality? longevity? or just personal preference.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:33 pm 

fastarget wrote:
real interesting discussion, so do you ever base the purchasae of a gun on weight? some brownings are close to 8 lbs, while their beretta counterparts are just under seven, is it just the manufacturer?quality? longevity? or just personal preference.

I would assume type of metal and wood density would play a large part in that.

That and frame type, ie a 20 gauge built on a 12 gauge frame would typically weigh more than a 20 gauge built on a 20 gauge frame.

You also have to look at target vs. field. A manufacturer will typically increase the weight of a target gun due to the large number of rounds it can expect to fire vs. a field gun in which not as many rounds are typically fired and where lighter weight can really make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:06 pm 
Crown Grade

I guess it all boils down to "Try it-If you like it-Use it". That is what makes this such a wonderful sport and such a great forum. Can't stay away. Look to see what is going on every morn. Life is good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

fase3 wrote:
I guess it all boils down to "Try it-If you like it-Use it".

Yep, it boils down to what you like best. I hunt first and shoot casual clays second so I want a shotgun that is reasonably light but I definitely shoot heavier guns better on clays. I find my Beretta SPII 20/28 combo with 28" barrels to be a very reasonable compromise between carrying weight (the lighter the better) and shooting weight (somewhat heavier being better).

The "best" gun for you is the one that best meets your needs and desires. Only you can determine which gun has the combination of features that is "best" for you and that can only be done after deciding on the type of shooting you will be using the shotgun for.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:02 pm 
Crown Grade

FlyChamps,
Again I am like you. What I use for live birds in the field and clay birds are two different engines. Each has it's own use. As far as the field goes -give me a lighter shotgun as I will be 66 in Nov. and it gets a little harder to chase the quail as time goes on. But, I ain't giving up yet!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Fase3, I'm 57 and I just quit skydiving this year. Still SCUBA dive and fly an old airplane built in 1946 that I have to hand prop to crank (no electrical system) and sometimes backpack to fish and hunt. But everything keeps getting heavier and harder as I get older. I much prefer carrying a lighter gun when in the field but as I said my SPII combo is as light as I can shoot reasonably well. Hopefully I can carry it to the end.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:57 pm 
Crown Grade

fastarget wrote:

Beware of paying too much attention to Beretta's published weights. I've got one of those 6 3/4 pounders that weighs 7 1/4. I haven't looked lately, but they used to claim the 28 gauge to be a lot lighter than the 20, even when they were on the same frame.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

claysmoker wrote:
I haven't looked lately, but they used to claim the 28 gauge to be a lot lighter than the 20, even when they were on the same frame.

When they are on the same frame and the barrel length is the same, the 28 gauge is actually heavier than the 20 gauge. That is because the monobloc has to be the same width to fit the frame, but the hole down the middle is smaller in the 28 ga, leaving more metal in it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
claysmoker wrote:
I haven't looked lately, but they used to claim the 28 gauge to be a lot lighter than the 20, even when they were on the same frame.

When they are on the same frame and the barrel length is the same, the 28 gauge is actually heavier than the 20 gauge. That is because the monobloc has to be the same width to fit the frame, but the hole down the middle is smaller in the 28 ga, leaving more metal in it.

Yep, my SPII is actually several ounces heavier with the 28 gauge barrels than with the 20 gauge barrels.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

one of the lightest guns we have is my wife's citori lightning 20ga/26, everytime I put my gun down and shoot hers for the first time I always seem to overswing, after a long day...that one pound plus ...you start to feel it.........but i love them all..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:19 am 
Tournament Grade

The Beretta true 28 ga frame is indeed smaller than the 20 ga frame but you'll almost need a micrometer to distinguish the difference. A few years ago I had both lined up side by side and it is incredible how close they are dimensionally. With a ruler in hand I was finally able to conclude that the true 28 ga frame was indeed smaller but you'll nearly go blind trying to see the difference w/o a dial caliper.

Not only that but their weights are also very close.

Recently I read an article by Michael McIntosh (believe it was in his gun review book) and he verified what I've said above. Seems that on an O/U the modest disparity between the widths of the 28 and 20 ga results in very little difference in wt and size when you wrap an O/U frame around these two gauges.

SxSs on the other hand allow for a considerably smaller frame on the 28.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:25 am 
Crown Grade

I have a Silver Pigeon II 20 / 28 set.

I lusted after the 28ga small frame for its looks.

Now that I have been shooting this gun for a year or so...
I wouldn't want to go any smaller or lighter.

The recoil on this gun using the 28ga is no joke.