CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best O/U Trap Gun - $1500 to $3000
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:41 am 
Utility Grade

I posted this here (Trap Shooters) instead of (Gun Opinions) since I only wanted the opinions of other trap shooters. If you had $1500-$3000 to spend on a trap gun what would you get (assuming all options would be fitted correctly). I am primarily looking at a Citori XT at the moment, but I do not want to overlook other options in this price range.

I prefer an O/U so I can easily utilize dual chokes for different stations (which has helped me add about 2-3 birds a round).

Thanks!

Post subject: re: Best O/U Trap Gun - $1500 to $3000
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:15 am 
Limited Edition

I would go with the XT, a very well made gun. You could also look at beratta, the make a very fine gun also, but I don't know much about them. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:41 am 
Presentation Grade

The XT certainly would be a very good choice and you can easily find new ones for less than $2000. Beretta has the added benefit of being able to add a single barrel later on to make it a combo gun. Browning barrels are not sold separtely. The Beretta SPII sold only by Joel Etchen could be bought as an o/u to start with if you want a new gun, otherwise there are lots of good used o/u's and combo sets available that would still be in your price range. SKB also sells a trap o/u that might be a consideration, although again you cannot add a single barrel later. All good guns, just whatever you prefer. I really like my XT which I use only for doubles.
The comment about chokes though is kind of puzzling. There should be no need to change chokes until you move from the 16 to handicap yardage. Different chokes are not going to pick you up any additional targets when you are shooting all stations from the same yardage. If you're changing chokes between stations, the benefit is all in your mind.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi NewNuma,

If you'd be willing to go up to 3700, I've got a Beretta 682 Gold E Trap Combo with a 34" top single, 30" o/u barrels, and an adjustable stock.

Bought in August and has had 550 rounds through the Single and 100 through the 0/U.

It's a great gun, managed to get not only my first 25 but seven total since! Can't seem to get 50 straight though, went 24, 25, 24, 25 yesterday.

I've since bought a K80 (should be here Monday!) and need to appease the wife by selling this one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I would personally shy away from the Browning XT. They are very front heavy and feel less than lively.

My sugestion is save a few more $'s and get a Perazzi MX series O/U.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:09 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I would get a new Beretta, in fact I did. It is a 686e Combo. Special production a year or two for Etchen. Never listed in the catalog. Yes it is "just" a 686, so what? The Browning is hard to beat, but I prefer the Beretta in a Trap gun. IF you don't mind used or if you can find NIB the Winchester 101s and later the Classic Doubles 101s are very nice well made Trap guns. I gave $1700 for a NIB Pigeon Trap a couple years ago and also did some horse trading for a like new Classic Doubles 101 top single Trap gun. Nikkos are the same gun, usually with much nicer wood! Very nice guns, all of them. But, I shoot the Beretta mostly! I'm not a big SKB fan, but they would probably be my next choice after the ones I already described. I'm not particularly fond of the 682 Gold E (hate the glossy wood and so called checkering) but any of the earlier 682s and 682 Golds are fine shotguns and can be had for less than your top figure (probably less than your lower one too, or arround there) and will serve you very well for a long, long time.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:19 pm 
Field Grade

you simply cant beat the price to package ratio of the browning citori XT. It has everything you would want in an O/U without a huge price tag. If your looking to spend a few extra bucks the beretta's are great too.