CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to get cardboard shotshell boxes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Or more precisely , chip board. I have been loading a bunch of shells for duck season. I would like to get a bunch of empty boxes. This is for 12 ga 2 3/4 and 3-inch shells. Someone must make them for Midway and others. Who would that be? I found some on-line sources. These boxes are usually 4 x 4 x 3-inches. I could not find 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2" or same but
2 3/4" deep for 3" shells. You can get chip board boxes for about 15-cents, they are close but not exactly the right size. Empty new shotshell boxes are 50-cents each. Any luck finding them through non gun channels?

Post subject: re: Where to get cardboard shotshell boxes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

You can get all the empty 2 3/4 length boxes at a gun club in the trash boxes. I see them there by the hundreds. The 3 inchers are another problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:40 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ziplock bags. The freezer kind. Been using them more and more and more, and less boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I did use ziplocks. I would rather have something that stacks better. There are no gunclubs in my area.

I have been making "pasted labels" on the computer. I print them on color laser printer at work. I used scans of antique boxes as my starting point. I potoshopped them to have accurate data adn to look perfect. The result is very attractive, strong and stackable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:16 pm 
Field Grade

Midway sells boxes, sometimes people sell newer boxes is quantities on ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scota,
Where do you live, there are probably some SGW folks that would gladly give you their empties.

I've got about 15 empty boxes laying around my Yukon right now, all 2.75".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Ballistics Products has 3 inch boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

If I would have known :? I would have sent you about 100, but I just threw them in the fire. :cry: they were for 2 3/4

That's going to leave a mark!!

Post subject: Re: re: Where to get cardboard shotshell boxes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

ClayTargetKiller wrote:
If I would have known :? I would have sent you about 100, but I just threw them in the fire. :cry: they were for 2 3/4

Too bad ......

Scot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Scot - I get most of mine from the dumpster. There are a few "public" ranges by me and people shoot every imaginable kind of shell you can think of. I get a lot of 2 3/4 and 3 in boxes to use. Hopefully there is something like that by you. Like others I also use zip lock bags - good stuff. I also use Tupperware like containers. The new "disposable" ones you can find at the grocery work pretty well, are cheap, and are "moisture proof".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:30 am 
Presentation Grade

I store my reloads, by load type, in shoebox sized boxes (heck, sturdy shoeboxes work great, too!). When I want to take some out with me, I just bag some of them up in a Zip-Loc bag(s) and off I go. The boxes are nice at times, but one trip out hunting and they are destroyed, which wastes my time and/or money. Not to mention they are inefficient to store..they take up a lot of space.

I use boxes for small one-off type reloads I may do to test a load or something (25~50 rounds). That's about it.

-Jason

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:28 am 
Diamond Grade

When I was duck hunting years ago I found that the spray and humidity would just destroy the cardboard boxes. So I bought the MTM carriers. You can get trays for whatever gauges you want.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:56 am 
Limited Edition

Last night I was scanning the latest flyer I got from Midway and noticed 12 ga shell boxes (I think they were 2 3/4 inches) at $25/100 - if you want to use cardboard boxes, 25 cents apiece seems pretty good to me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:28 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I've got some old red poly plastic Herter's shell boxes that I like to put shells in for hunting. Couple MTM 2 level 100 round boxes too. But, for the range I much prefer to have my shells in a factory 25 round box. They just fit better and besides that, I always know when to change stations or if I still have 3 shells left when leaving station 7 on the Skeet range. :roll: I was scrounging hulls, believe it or not, at our range last night and after looking in the trash barrels at the Sporting Clays stations and the 5-stand I was amazed to see how many shell boxes were in those barrels. Must'a been a hundred or more. I hit the jackpot myself, 2 28 ga Winchester AA shell boxes. Only thing rarer laying on the range than 28 ga AA hulls is the boxes. :wink: I have a few Ballistic Products boxes I bought a while back from Cabela's. White cardboard. The slick finished side cracks and splits on folding and they don't stay closed as well as factory boxes. Waste of money in my opinion. The ones from Midway are most likely about the same. Two bits for a box??? Hi-way robbery! :shock:

BP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:54 pm 
Limited Edition

I get all my boxes for free too :wink: but if you want to (or have to) buy them, 2 bits a box seems reasonable to me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:38 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Pickman;

I would agree with you IF they were good boxes? But alas, the ones I bought were not! They probably won't even burn well! :cry:

BP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:51 pm 
Limited Edition

I found some at Gander Mt. Plastic but 2 3/4 ". Maybe they have 3 but I didn't need to look. They will last forever and stack like bricks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:51 pm 
Field Grade

:D You know, you can make your own. Use a factory box as a template. You can usually get all the cardboard you need at the local grocer. And when you are done you can actually say you are a reloader in EVERY sense of the word. :D :D