CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trap grade vs. field grade-- difference?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

just getting into shooting trap and 5-stand, and am curious to the difference between trap grade shotguns and field grade ones. i do not imagine the differences are great, but would like some insight.

also, i notice many at the range use over/under models. whats the advantage to this over semi-auto?

btw... i'm shooting a winchester 12 guage, model 140 (older gun).

thanks, brad

Post subject: re: Trap grade vs. field grade-- difference?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:49 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Many times a Trap gun will be fancier, but, basically the difference is in the configuration of the stock and possibly the rib. Usually a Trap gun will shoot higher at the normal range of 30 to 40 yd, about 1/3 to a full pattern higher. Many times it will be heavier and have a longer barrel. Other than that, not a lot of difference.

Why an O/U? Well, typically they are a tad heavier in the barrel and that may help some folks with the swing and follow through, but mostly the reason I shoot them is so I don't have to chase my empties. I just pick them out of the chambers and put them in my pouch. If you reload, there they are, and if you don't you can just toss them into the trash. I see most of the emptys laying arround on the course ARE from auto and pump shooters. Not that the double gun guys don't just let them fly too. Seems like some folks get about as much enjoyment out of seeing how far they can pop the emptys as they do crushing rocks!

Personaly I don't like the same gun for Trap and 5-stand. I have no problem shooting a field gun on 5-stand, but a trap gun for 5-stand eats my lunch. Trap has always a going away and rising target, so you can get the "float" in your mind and go with it. That kind of pattern in 5-stand is a disaster for me. Coming, going, quartering in a loop, rabbits, chondell, minis hugging the ground, you name it. Keeping the pattern in the right place with a Trap gun for me is, is, is, dangneart impossible. :roll:

BP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

what do you mean by a trap gun shoots "higher"? it's throwing the shot further out without as much drop?

thanks for the info.

brad

Post subject: Re: re: Trap grade vs. field grade-- difference?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bwilleyuvm wrote:
what do you mean by a trap gun shoots "higher"? it's throwing the shot further out without as much drop?

thanks for the info.

brad
Not exactly.

Imagine that you had a big sheet of paper hung between two posts, 30 or 40 yards away. If you shot at the same point with a field and a trap gun, the pattern for the trap gun would be higher up on the paper.

In trap, the targets are always moving away from you, and are rising. By shooting a little high, a trap gun allows the shooter to float the bird above the barrel and still hit it. With a field gun, if you do that you will shoot under the target.

There other differences between trap and field guns in addition to what Burnt Powder already mentioned. Trap guns are target guns, and target guns are often more heavily built than field guns. Field guns are designed for hunting, but target shooters generally fire far more rounds in a year than a hunter. Over the years, all those extra rounds can build up. A sturdier gun will hold up better.

That heavier construction is also physically heavier. For a hunter, who carries the gun a lot, and only shoots a few shots, a heavier gun is undesireable. But for a target shooter, who only carries the gun up to the line and back, and leaves it in the rack the rest of the time, carrying the extra weight isn't a problem. In fact, the extra weight helps absorb recoil and can smooth out the swing. Many target shooters actually ADD extra weight to their guns - something a hunter would not do to a field gun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

ok, i gotcha now. thanks for the help!

brad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Also, a gun set up for trap will often have a comb--the top edge of the butt stock between the top tang and the recoil pad "heel"--that is parallel, or nearly parallel, to the centerline through the barrel(s). The comb on a field gun will often slope downward from the tang to the heel. Go to Browning's web site and compare the stocks on a Citori Lightning to the stock on a Citori XT and you will see this illustrated nicely. The higher your eye is relative to the plane of the rib, the higher your gun will shoot.
...j

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:19 am 
Tournament Grade

i did notice that with guns labeled as "trap"... and now i know why.

brad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:02 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Hmmmm? Trap guns built "heavier"? They may indeed weigh more, but that doesn't mean they are built heavier. Sounds like a salesman's line to me! I've seen many Browning, Winchester, Remington, Beretta, and other Trap guns and am intimately familiar with their field "grade" counterparts too. There isn't a whitt's worth of difference between the actions on any of them, competition or field. Only guns I'm familiar with that could be construed as being that way would be the Beretta DT-10. I'm not aware of any DT-10 field guns though. I ain't buying that one!
:roll:
BP