CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "breaking in" a new shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Just brought home a new Winchester SX3. It is my first autoloader and was just wondering if I need to "break it in" so to speak. I followed the directions for initial cleaning, but was just wondering if ther was certain things that I should do to break it in. I am probably going to shoot some clay birds tomorrow night before pheasant opens Saturday here in WI. Thanks![/code]

Post subject: re: "breaking in" a new shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:09 pm 
Limited Edition

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOm BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOm BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Really, some people say to shoot a couple boxes of light loads before going to the heavy stuff, I really don't think it matters that much. JMO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:19 pm 
Field Grade

Here it goes step by step.

1. Buy ammo.
2. Shoot until you run out of ammo.
3. Buy more ammo and repeat.

Great gun, Best of luck and I hope you enjoy.

Adam

Post subject: Re: re: "breaking in" a new shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Citori Shooter wrote:
Really, some people say to shoot a couple boxes of light loads before going to the heavy stuff, I really don't think it matters that much. JMO

Actually, it's the opposite. Shoot a couple boxes of heavy loads before going to the light stuff. Some need it, some don't.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:35 am 

Quote:
Actually, it's the opposite. Shoot a couple boxes of heavy loads before going to the light stuff. Some need it, some don't.

dairyland has it. It's always a good to break in the action of a new semi auto. It can save some frustration if you were to try the light stuff right off the bat and had cycling issues.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:09 pm 
Field Grade

Just so we are sure, Worc and dairyland are correct. My 1187 wouldn't cycle light loads at first. It was quite the nightmare as I thought I had a defective gun. 4 boxes of Nitros and now my 1187 will even cycle 2 3/4dr 1oz 9's fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Disassemble completely. Coat every part with a mixture of bacon grease, yak fat, and valve grinding compound. Grab a case or two of the heaviest loads you can find and head off to the trap range. When you see smoke and smell bacon burning it's broke in! Easy-Off, oil, and you're done! :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:06 am 
Crown Grade

shell shucker wrote:
Disassemble completely. Coat every part with a mixture of bacon grease, yak fat, and valve grinding compound. Grab a case or two of the heaviest loads you can find and head off to the trap range. When you see smoke and smell bacon burning it's broke in! Easy-Off, oil, and you're done! :D

that's the way to get it cookin'! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Shoot a box or two of hot 1 1/8 oz (AA super sports come to mind-1300fps) or heavier loads. Some guns need it some don't. That is what I did with my SX2 and it will even shoot the 7/8 oz light loads that the owners manual says are too light.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:22 am 
Crown Grade

shell shucker wrote:

I tried that with my Supersport...but I kepy getting hungry when the gun got hot. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:45 pm 
Crown Grade

No Joke.

I broke in a new Benelli Supersort today.

5 boxes of 1 1/8 loads and now it's cycling 7/8th Fiocchi loads
perfectly. Shot 50 in a row without a hitch.
Brands/quaity does seem to matter.

It did hang-up a bit with 7/8th B&P loads.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Worc wrote:
Quote:

dairyland has it. It's always a good to break in the action of a new semi auto. It can save some frustration if you were to try the light stuff right off the bat and had cycling issues.

:oops: :oops: :oops: Guess I got em' mixed up, sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:39 pm 
Field Grade

A couple of boxes of stout loads will do it. I remember back in the '70s, I bought my brother a Weatherby Auto. He bought some reg game loads, and it wouldn't cycle reliably. We took it back to the gun store, (we were young and dumb at that time). The gun store owner took it out and shot a box of high brass through it. Worked like a charm. Pretty soon it would cycle the game loads well.