CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli Ultralight Impressions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:11 am 
Field Grade

I took my new UL out for pheasants twice now instead of the usual M1 20ga. The gun carries a tad heavier and the frame is larger. It shoulders the same without adjustment. My first shots were with borrowed (don't ask) 3" Fasteel loads in the notox zone I hunt. Ouch. Kicked like the mule Beretta Onyx I got rid of and ended up flinching and goose egging the first day. Also found I was missing two chokes - IM and F. Got that fixed with the understanding dealer and went out for round two with the IM choke and Kent TM 2.75" #5 loads. Still packs a good thunk unlike my M1 20 but it's tolerable with shorter shells. The two birds I shot were dead before they hit the ground. One was even shot through tree cover on estimated aim and had 9 pellets in it on cleaning. That's the deal of 12 over 20 - simply more pellets on target. The epoxy type finish is very tough and scratch resistant. The gel pad is not. It already has a slice from a blackberry thorn. Function is flawless but the recoil is LOUD from the 24" barrel. I may get an extended choke to get the blast away and extend the barrel plain closer to the 26-28" lengths I'm used to. The carbon fiber rib is aesthetically cool but does not allow me to magnetically attach the lite-pipe site I prefer. It will be my mainstay good weather gun with the black synthetic 20 being used for duck jump-hunting and raingear pheasant days. All in all, the UL is a great 12ga upland 3-shooter without equal in the present market. It is never going to be welcome on clay days other than practicing for the early season, something I should have done this year.
Doc

Post subject: re: Benelli Ultralight Impressions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

DR,

I have a Benelli Ultralight as well. Personally I think the pad is the worst designed thing ever. I bought a Limbsaver pad for mine. Very big difference. The extended chokes do help a little. I also placed an EZ hit sight on the rib. It uses sticks on very well. It's the same one Tom Knapp uses.

I don't know why you would hunt without hearing protection however.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:05 pm 
Field Grade

For some reason I shoot better with my Ultralight than most other guns I own, but I agree about the recoil. Smacks the snot out of me.
As I've posted before, my rib fell off on about the 5th outing. The weld broke which connected the front rib lug to the barrel. I consider it a design flaw. If that one small weld breaks the whole rib pushes forward on recoil and causes the rib to drop off the gun. Benelli sent me a new barrel, however, because they do not have parts because the gun is so new.
Other than that, I love the gun despite the recoil.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Surely such a light gun is going to be stiff recoiling. What are they like with light loads ? I imagine they are a fast handling gun ?

Leeboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:50 pm 
Field Grade

1 oz. skeet loads still kicks like hell, and I can shoot 8 boxes of skeet loads from my Citori XS in a T-shirt.
But I knew it would, so it's not going to stop me from using it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:58 pm 
Field Grade

Today I picked up a slip-on Limbsaver to replace the gelpad and lugscrews. _Much_ better with the 2.75" highbrass. I won't ever try the 3" again. I also picked up a Hi-Viz lite-pipe triangle front site replacement which screwed in easily without doublestick tape. The Truglo ones can clasp the rib but have to be a couple inches back from the front site to be where the first vent starts. One the hearing protection issue, I normally didn't have ear issues with the 27.5" bbl (extended choke) M1 20ga; it's blast was negligable to me as was the recoil. But this UL is an animal. My last purchase for it will be the Terror 0.675 extended choke and some new batteries for my power muffs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:17 am 
Presentation Grade

I went to the range with my new Benelli Ultralight a few days ago. I began experimenting with different shells. I loaded the Benelli with the Westley Richards 2" game loads and the gun cycles perfectly. In fact the gun will hold four two inch shells, three in the chamber.

For those of you not familiar with 2" 12 bore loads I provide the following. Two inch shells were popular in the 1930's through the 1950s in England. Many of the great firms made 2" game guns. The guns are shear genius. It's a small bore gun with 12 bore efficency. The patterns are perfect as theu have almost no shot string. 2" guns usally were SxS weighing in at 5-5-3/4 pounds. The guns were either boxlock or sidelock. The loads that are designed for the 2" guns are light in recoiling because the guns were designed to be so low in weight. The shells carry a charge of 7/8 ounce to 15/16ths of an ounce.

I have tried these loads in many autoloader shotguns as I have a few of the old 2" guns in my possession. I have always dreamed about being able to use them in an AL gun because of how well they take birds. The Benelli Ultralight is the first auto I have ever used that would cycle these short loads. I shot 5 boxes of 2" shells through the gun at skeet and I didn't have a single failure!

best,
SL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:43 am 
Field Grade

Got my third pheasant with the UL today. Kent 2.75" TM #5, IM choke. My buddy's dog went on point and the beeper collar was going nuts. :shock: Another bud went in behind the dog's owner and I took a flanking position 15 yards to the left in the forest with a chance shot through a clearing of branches into a grass field. The bird cockled and bolted up and to the left. I had one shot max and swung on the bird's wingsounds. My friends on the dog never got a shot since they were too close to each other to fire safely. As the bird hit my killzone, the new light-pipe triangle was on the beak and the gun magically fired, with more of a soft shove thanks to the Limbsaver slipon. The bird angled straight up, did a tail-drag, and fell into the mouth of the new pup. :o Did I mention I like this gun now? :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:30 pm 
Limited Edition

In my opinion, if the gun is recoiling too much, you are using too heavy a loads. I shoot 7/8 and 1 oz handloads all the time. In fact, over 3000 rounds this year.

For hunting, I load 1 1/8 at 1300 fps and never notice the recoil. When I need to shoot heavier loads, I will grab my Sport.

I think they are one of the best engineered autos being made. They are light to carry and with sensable loads, they have low recoil. I carried mine for two days on a recent chukar hunt. The gun never got heavy. And to top it all off, I shoot it well.

Fred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:18 am 
Tournament Grade

I too have been thinking about an Ultra Light for several months now. The darn recoil pad is the only thing that concerns me. Well, I guess the rib falling off isn't very confidence inspiring either. Anyway, do you guys know if anyone makes a pre-fit aftermarket recoil pad for the ultra-light that isn't a slip on? seems to me like Benelli is going to have to change this recoil pad, if they are as fragilie as eveyone says they are. How many of you guys that have them have had problems with the recoil pad?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Limbsaver makes a pre-fit pad. It's the same one that pre-fits the standard Monte.

Remember that Tom Knapp is sponsored by both Limbsaver and Benelli. It makes sense that there is a pre-fit Limbsaver pad for all the Benelli guns.

I have had no problems with my rib BTW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Cool, has anyone installed the limbsaver pre-fit pad on their ultra light? Also, from the pictures I have seen, there do not appear to be any screw holes in the recoil pad. How does the recoil pad come off in order to install a new one?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes,

the Benelli pad pulls off and there are two post that look like zerk fittings. They unscrew and the limbaver fits perfect in to the holes left in the stock. About 10 minutes worth of work

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Squareload, thanks for all of your assistance. I just have one more question. Which limbsaver pad would I buy? The benelli catalog says that the Ultra Light's stock has been trimmed to 20 gauge proportions, however, the gun is still a 12. So which pad fits? The 20 gauge Monte pad, or the 12 gauge Monte pad? Or is there no difference between the two? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:18 am 
Presentation Grade

The pad you want is #10401. I think all wood stocks from Benelli have the same butt dimension regardless of gauge. It allows them to fit one size pad on all their guns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Squareload, you have been a big help. I think i have made my mind up to buy an ultralight just as soon as i can save up the required funds. I dont suppose you could post a picture of your ultralight with the sims recoil pad on it could you? I plan on putting one on the same day I buy the gun, and was just curious as to how it looks. Again, thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:55 pm 
Field Grade

5 more dead in the air pheasants this week. One shot in the low branched woods only possible due to the short barrel...overhead, straight up and leaning backwards enough to lose my cap, deadstick landing 20ft behind me. My new hunting partner's mouth was agape. This UL rocks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I took my Ultralight to the sporting clays range. After 200 rounds the rib was very loose. Thanks to Cabelas 30 day guarantee the gun was returned.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:43 am 
Field Grade

onpointgun, was the front locking screw backing out? Locktite could fix that. If it was detaching at the rear lug however, I will be worried. Please post any explanations you get from Benelli OK? Doc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

The top rib is removable. If it comes loose all that is needed is a little loctite and a screwdriver. The UL has the same rib as my old Benelli sporting.